Recurring Transfer Series - Exclude Money In from Spending Plan Bug

Options
brad08
brad08 Member
edited March 8 in Report a Bug

When setting up a recurring transfer series for contributions to my Roth IRA, I would like only the money out to be included in the spending plan as I view this as a monthly "expense" to fund my retirement. As this is money I won't be using (not a normal transfer), I need it to only count the money out for cash flow purposes.

I have encountered a bug when I leave only the "exclude from spending plan - money out" box unchecked, it still shows both sides of the transaction.

I am aware there is a manual workaround to go into the $+583.33 side of the transaction to exclude it from the spending plan, however this should be done automatically by the recurring transfer series. I have deleted and re-setup the series several times hoping it would work itself out, but it has not fixed this. I was able to get this to work for a different series, so I know it can be done.

It's possible I have set it up wrong, so please let me know if it's just user error. Thanks in advance!

Brad

-Brad

Simplifi user since December 2023

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, your setup looks correct as the amount next to Transfers & Credit Card Payments is equal to your withdrawal account. The money in part will stay listed in the Spending Plan but have no effect. On the three dots next to -$583.33, select Hide Excluded Transfers and the money in part will be hidden.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• brad08
    brad08 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply! Apologies for any confusion, but the amount next to Transfers & CC payments is only equal to that same amount because I have a similar transfer set up properly below it. When excluding the one that's working properly, the amount shoes zero:

As mentioned, unfortunately, the only manual workaround I have found is to exclude the Money Out portion from Spending Plan in every month's reminder (and even then it's still buggy and requires multiple attempts/refreshes).

-Brad

-Brad

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see what you mean on the series. I am seeing the same behavior. My transfer inclusion in the spending plan for this month worked for a one-time transfer done to my credit card, and I did the inclusion via the reminder like you.

I unchecked the box to include the transfer series on the spending plan and it did not work. Even after logging out and logging in on an incognito mode browser, the series was not included in the spending plan.

I need to go to the reminder to get it included as well.

Minter 2014-2023

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@brad08 you can view the crossed out eyeball as just letting you know that something with those two settings is hidden. To see the details, you have to click the three dots.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29
    Options

@Flopbot - looks like the only way to include a side of a transfer is to uncheck the proper spending plan box on each monthly reminder. When the exclude from spending plan on the series, the exclusion of the transfers do not take.

This is the feature that is not working as expected for @brad08 and me.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5142302-how-credit-card-payments-and-transfers-are-handled-in-the-spending-plan#h_b450d0f8ed

Include a Recurring Transfer in the Spending Plan

1. Hover over the panel on the left-hand side and select Settings.
    2. Select Recurring.
    3. Locate the Recurring Transfer Series you'd like to include in the Spending Plan and click the three dots at the end of it.
    4. Select Edit series.
    5. At the bottom right, uncheck the box next to Exclude from Spending Plan.
    6. Click Update.

Note: For Recurring Linked Transfers, you'll have the option to include either or both the Money Out side and the Money In side of the Transfer.

Minter 2014-2023

• brad08
    brad08 Member
    Options

@Flopbot Yes that is correct from the reminder standpoint, but it is not showing how the series is set. In current state, each month's reminder needs to be manually hidden for it to work as intended in the series (show money out, hide money in). Not a huge deal as it's just a couple clicks for each month, but I figured it should be brought up in case others are having issues as well as it appears to be a bug.

-Brad

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@brad08 & @UrsulaA, thanks for reporting this issue!

I just tested this with one of my existing Recurring Linked Transfer Series and I saw the same thing as you, Ursula — selecting to include the "money out" side in the Spending Plan did not actually include it and both sides are still greyed out. It looks like Brad is seeing the opposite where both sides are included even though the "money in" side should be ignored.

However, I also tested it with a brand new Recurring Linked Transfer Series and did not see the issue. I even edited the Series to exclude both sides and it worked as expected. With that, have either of you tried deleting and recreating the Recurring Series in question to see if that clears things up for you?

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Deleting and recreating the series worked, now one side of the transfer is included in the spending plan. Thanks @Coach Natalie

Minter 2014-2023

• brad08
    brad08 Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie Wanted to let you know that I just deleted and set up a new transfer series and the issue still persists. The new series now has both sides grayed out when I leave only the Money Out button unchecked.

-Brad

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 8
    Options

@brad08, thanks for posting back!

At this point, I'd suggest contacting our Support Team directly for more advanced assistance with this. They can walk you through troubleshooting, as well as gather data from you to review the issue for an escalation. @UrsulaA, feel free to contact Support as well on this if you see it pop up again.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, my issue was resolved by deleting and recreating the series.

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.