When correcting a category, have the option to apply to past and future transactions for that payee

Options
System
System Administrator admin
edited March 22 in Feature Requests

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Recategorize all transactions from the transactions page.

3 votes

Already Offered · Last Updated

This ability is already available in Quicken Simplifi when creating Transaction Rules!

Comments

• jjdeutsch
    jjdeutsch Member
    edited February 5
    Options

Hi, it was suggested I post this here as an idea:

When viewing recent transactions on the transactions screen, if an item is miscategorized and when I correct the category, I suggest there be the option to have all past and future transactions for that payee be set to the proper category. I feel it is inefficient to require a user to travel to another page to create a rule. I am a newer user and have hundreds of payees listed, many of which I'd like to recategorize based on what it is I need to be reported.

So the idea is to add an option that, when a transaction is recategorized, there's an option, when that item is still selected on the transactions screen, to create the rule and to have it apply to all past transactions as well.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 7
    Options

@jjdeutsch, thanks for sharing your feedback with the Community!

It looks like this ability is already available in Quicken Simplifi. When you recategorize a transaction, there is a box you can check to create a Transaction Rule. When doing so, you can select to apply the change to all past transactions, and the Rule itself will apply the change to all future transactions.

This video is a little outdated, but shows how to accomplish this for both Category and Payee Rules on the Quicken Simplifi Web App:

You can also accomplish the same thing on the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App:

Please let us know how this works for you!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

What you showed only applies the rule to future transactions from the transaction list. For past transactions, once has to go to settings>payees and rules and then click on apply to past transactions. The request is asking for the ability to apply the rule to past transactions from the transaction list prompt.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@UrsulaA, I see this when creating a Category Rule from a transaction:

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I see the same thing now. Thanks! This feature already exists then.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

This discussion has been closed.