RETURNS & CREDITS - SHOULD "cancel out" and be reflected in spending after credits

Options
jimburatti
jimburatti Member
edited March 8 in Feedback

FLAW in the program.. I buy a TV for $5000 and then I return it 5 days later, its shows that i SPENT the money.. NOT TRUE… come on should be CORE functionality… returns should be an easy process ( almost automatic) and should NEVER be included in spending.

Tagged:

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    Options

If you either use the refund tracker or categorize the return income in the same category as the purchase (with a plus sign next to the amount as income), the transactions cancel each other out. I had returns entered like this with no overstatement of spending.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• jimburatti
    jimburatti Member
    edited February 9
    Options

Thank you, this seems to work I called customer service they didn't tell me this.. thank you UrsulaA I truly appreciate your help. the other option I had was to "Exclude" from BOTH spending plan and reports. but that does not always work because sometimes you have only a partial return. THANK YOU AGAIN, this is VERY helpful to me Im just not sure which is best and what the advantage and disadvantages our to each SOOOO.. which way do YOU handle a return ? (1) Using refund tracker (2) recatorizing the credit to same category and tag? (3) and or "Excluding" them boht from spending plan and reports so you never seen them anywhere but still keeping track of htem with using (1) or (2)

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I pretty much use option 2 which works fine as long as the purchase and the refund happen in the same month. If they don't, sometimes I'll just categorize both as "transfer" so they don't show in spending plan, and explain in the notes. If spending plan had rollover, though, it wouldn't matter if the refund was the next month. (Somehow every topic leads to rollover :) ).

Does the refund tracker work if the refund is only partial? Maybe I should try that instead.

This discussion has been closed.