empower-retirement.com 401k stopped syncing and shows $0.00

Options
Another Stephen
Another Stephen Member ✭✭

One of our 401k accounts has stopped pulling the account value. It now shows as $0.00

The weird part is the when I reset the connection to see if that fixes it..

The balance it finds is correct.

When I click Add. It immediately makes me enter a security question for the 2nd time in 30 seconds. But still shows the right value

After this succeed, the dashboard proceeds to NOT show the correct value and instead show $0.00… 😕

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Another Stephen,

To troubleshoot this issue, since resetting the accounts did not correct the issue, I recommend making the accounts manual, then reconnecting them. For instructions on how to do that, please use this article.

Let me know how it goes!

-Coach Kristina

• Another Stephen
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion @Coach Kristina . It didn't work and actually made it even more strange.

The account balance is now $3,952 instead of $0.00, but I have now idea where that number is coming from.

This is what is should look like

But this is what Simplify shows.

It's honestly kinda frustrating that is clear CAN know the correct values because they're shown when reconnecting the account, but it just doesn't want to use them :(

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea lots of weirdness with this connection. I have an open issue as well where it says it is updating, but the balance in Simplifi never changes unless I either reset the connection or use the manual-reconnect workflow

But after seeing this discussion I have a new one. Unlike @Another Stephen my balances don't show as zero. But yesterday on the investments > performance report, it claims I dropped 49% in a day. Meanwhile the balance has not changed on any Simplifi screen, and logging into Empower I did not actually lose anything on Sunday. I have not reset the connection again, because per the thread linked above I am trying to not touch it while Quicken investigates.

• Another Stephen
    Options

Hey @Coach Kristina, Did you change something that caused my question to no longer appear in the https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussions/unanswered list? I could previously mark comments as "not solving the question" to bring my post back into the list, but now it's not showing up there anymore. Thanks.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Another Stephen, this thread was changed to a Discussion since it needs troubleshooting as opposed to an answer.

With that, although you may be experiencing the same thing that Wedo778 reported in the other thread, since resetting the connection isn't bringing in the current data, we'll go ahead and keep them separate for now. Based on your reply to Coach Kristina, it looks like the account may still be manual, which is why the balance in the Accounts List matches the Market Value in the Investments Portfolio. To make an account manual and then re-link it to the bank, you'll want to follow all of these steps:

1. Make the account(s) manual by following the steps here.
    2. Once you see the account(s) listed in the 'Manual Accounts' section under Settings > Accounts, go back through the Add Account flow to reconnect to the bank.
    3. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here.

Let us know how it goes once reconnected!

-Coach Natalie

• Another Stephen
    Another Stephen Member ✭✭
    edited February 20
    Options

@Coach Natalie I relinked that account immediately after making it manual like @coach Kristina suggested. I haven't touched it since before replying to her ,and you can see the option to make it manual is back, which implies that the link was re-added correctly.

Thanks for replying and about this being moved to a discussion. That makes sense now. Really hope we can get this and some other issues worked out. Mint just worked for years, and it's sad and kinda annoying that a paid service is more frustrating to use.

[edited image to reduce size]

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Another Stephen, thanks for confirming!

If it wouldn't mess anything up to do so, I'd suggest completely removing Empower from Quicken Simplifi and then adding the account(s) fresh to see if you get good data. Instead of deleting the existing account(s), you can also try making them manual, and then reconnecting to the bank and adding the account(s) found as new instead of linking them.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3453929-how-to-delete-bank-accounts-in-quicken-simplifi#h_6e19d62b11

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4295304-adding-accounts-in-quicken-simplifi#how-to-connect-and-add-your-account--

Let us know if this works!

-Coach Natalie

• Another Stephen
    Options

@Coach Natalie That didn't seem to work either :(

• Another Stephen
    Options

@Coach Natalie It did actually work after some time, but I can't download the transactions from the original now manual one, to import them to the new one. The download button exists, but clicking it doesn't do anything. I don't really want to lose the history…

• Coach Natalie
    edited February 21
    Options

@Another Stephen, I definitely don't want you to lose your history either, and exporting Investment Transactions is not currently available. You can always change the account to a different account type for the export and then change it back, but I don't think the data would be very clean since it's not intended for Investment Transactions, and I've also seen other users report that importing an exported file doesn't work or at least doesn't work well.

Let's try this — since the original accounts are all in the 'Manual Accounts' section (please double check to be certain that the original accounts are all manual before proceeding), go ahead and delete the newly added accounts by deleting the entire Financial Institution under Settings > Accounts. Once done, go back through the Add Account flow, reconnect to the bank, and then link the accounts found to your existing Quicken Simplifi accounts once again. The result should be that the original accounts are now linked to the bank and the newly added accounts have been removed completely.

If the issue persists with the existing accounts once they're this time, please provide the following data for an escalation:

1. The names of the accounts, as they appear in Quicken Simplifi.
    2. The balance for the accounts in the Accounts List in Quicken Simplifi (this is the list of all accounts and balances on the left side of the Dashboard on the Quicken Simplifi Web App, or the list of all of your accounts when you select "Accounts" from the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App).
    3. The balance for the accounts in the Investments Portfolio in Quicken Simplifi (if you have multiple investment accounts, you'll want to filter the page to each individual account).
    4. The balance for the accounts as displayed on the bank's website.
    5. A screenshot of the holdings for each of the accounts in Quicken Simplifi (if you have multiple investment accounts, you'll want to filter the page to each individual account).
    6. A screenshot of the holdings for each account on the bank's website for a comparison.

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Regarding this part by @Coach Natalie "You can always change the account to a different account type for the export and then change it back, but I don't think the data would be very clean since it's not intended for Investment Transactions, and I've also seen other users report that importing an exported file doesn't work or at least doesn't work well."

I imported Mint formatted transactions successfully into an investment account. It was time consuming to change investment transactions to an action/type as bulk editing of investment action/type is not available. The exported CSV file from Simplifi does not download in the proper format for importing, so you must modify it to either be a Mint import CSV or a Simplifi CSV. Templates are enclosed.

I agree with Coach Natalie - keep the accounts with your history manual and delete only the newly connected accounts.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

This discussion has been closed.