Transactions downloading incorrectly (edited)

Options
jstaczek
jstaczek Member
edited April 5 in Troubleshooting

Hello Community,

I have discovered two problems with transactions from one institution, at which I have 8 accounts:

1. some transactions are appear twice or three times in the same Simplifi account. The message "Appears on your XXX statement" shows different accounts for those, all landing in one Simplifi account. Simplifi account #9 might show 3 identical transactions "Appears on your #2 statement", "Appears on your #1 statement" and "Appears on your #9 statement". The bank statement is correct.
  2. some transactions appear once but are being downloaded from the wrong account. A transaction from account #2 will show up in Simplifi in account #9. Again, the bank statement is incorrect.

For issue #1, I contacted Simplifi more than two weeks by chat and supplied them with details, including downloaded bank statements. They said they would look into and let me know what's happening. I have had no update. And this ridiculous chat support system has no support case # or other identifier, so it's impossible to follow up. I had to open another chat just to ask about the first chat.

Before they went off to research this, they advise me to make all the accounts manual then reconnect them. I have done this twice and still get the same behavior.

I have not contacted them about issue #2 because of the poor response for #1. I'm asking the Community if you know what can be done here? Are there any tricks for fixing this? The accounts are already messed up and I don't even see any way of moving incorrect transactions to their correct accounts. And to be clear, I don't do ANY manual entry. It's all Simplifi. Also, the other institutions I have are working properly.

Does anyone know any way to get this mess sorted out? I'm ready to pack up and leave.

Thanks,

— Jason

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To move transactions to another account, edit the transaction and change the value in the account field.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When the transactions are downloaded from the bank to a linked account, the account box does not allow you to switch the account name. The screen below comes from the web app for my connected credit card.

When the transaction is manually entered, then one can switch the account

I will try to download the transaction using the export to CSV function. Then, delete the incorrect transactions and import them to the correct account using Simplifi's CSV import template.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4413430-how-to-manually-import-transactions

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What type of accounts are these?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@jstaczek, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

It looks like your interaction with Chat Support was escalated, so once they have an update for you on that, they'll reach back out via the original chat. I'm curious, though — is this a new issue for these accounts in Quicken Simplifi, or have they always behaved this way? Are they fairly new accounts in Quicken Simplifi? If so, have you tried completely deleting the financial institution and re-adding it from scratch?

I also noticed in your description that you said you have 8 accounts with the bank, but then also referred to a 9th account. It sounds like there may be some cross-linking going on; are you certain that each account in Quicken Simplifi is linked to the correct bank account?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• jstaczek
    Options

Coach Natalie, these are old account, almost two years. They have not always behaved this way or I would never have used Simplifi in the first place.

This bank did force a new username/password change on all members back on December 7 which meant I had to update the connection. I have tried making the accounts manual and then reconnecting, three times. I have also tried recreating the connection from scratch and reconnecting, once. The only thing I haven't tried is deleting the accounts and recreating the connection from scratch and losing all my banking history.

Am I certain they are connected properly? As certain as I can be. I am basing my belief that they are linked correctly on the fact that Simplifi is reporting the correct bank balance for all accounts. It's the transaction lists that don't match. You may be right that there is cross-linking going on, but whatever is going on is outside of my control. As far as #9 goes, the bank happens to identify checking accounts as #9. Savings accounts as #1. Other types get their own numbers.

Looking at three of these accounts, which my bank calls acctXXX/#1, acctXXX/#2 and acctXXX/#9:

• the balance on each account matches the bank balance
    • since I wrote this email on February 17, two transactions belonging to acctXX/#9 have been automatically downloaded by Simplifi into acctXX/#9, acctXX/#2 and acctXX/#1
    • Looking at one of those two duplicated transactions, in acctXX/#9, the transaction detail says "Appears on your Joint Checking statement as Purchase: 99999999 USPS PO 54886202 ##redacted## Card: ****5148 02/17/2024 on Feb 17, 2024.
    • in acctXX/#1, the transaction detail for the same one says "Appears on your Joint Savings statement as Purchase: 99999999 USPS PO 54886202 ##redacted## Card: ****5148 02/17/2024 on Feb 17, 2024."
    • int acctXX/#2, the transaction detail says "Appears on your ##redacted## statement as Purchase: 99999999 USPS PO 54886202 ##redacted## Card: ****5148 02/17/2024 on Feb 17, 2024."

Is there a linking error I could have made that would cause the same transactions to be applied to three accounts?

And while the ticket may have been escalated, I've had no updates, and I have no way to check the current status, and no timeline for a resolution. I don't even have a ticket number or a case number. In the meantime, Simplifi is unusable (and I continue to be charged—that part always works). If the transaction lists aren't accurate, I can't use it. And it's now been going on so long that I don't know what I'm going to have to do to clean up all the incorrect transactions when this issue is finally sorted out.

Coach Natalie, realistically, is this fixable? Or is my account now broken beyond repair? Can I expect this escalation process to return my account to working order with transaction histories that match my bank? Seriously. I need to figure this out or cut my losses and move on. Just tell me.

— Jason

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@jstaczek, thanks for providing additional insight!

Yes, the escalation should resolve the issue for you, however, it may take some time to work through things, as there are several entities involved including our service provider and most likely the bank. It looks like you've already reached out to Support a couple of times to request an update on the escalation, so that's exactly what you can continue to do, as any agent will be able to check on that for you. It also looks like you were offered compensation for the lost time via a Chat Support interaction. If you want to inquire about further compensation, they'd have to help you with that.

With that, I'd definitely suggest continuing to work with Support directly on this issue, as this sounds to be something that will need to be reviewed and resolved through the escalation process, as opposed to other users being able to help. The ticket number for your original interaction where this issue was escalated is 10795236.

Let us know how things go!

-Coach Natalie

• jstaczek
    Options

Thanks for the response, Natalie. Since you asked, here's how things are going:

• I reached out to customer support by email for an update on that ticket number and got the response: "The Ticket was Closed. Please call back."
    • As far as compensation, Simplifi offered me a choice: take a 1-week credit at the time of the offer and no further compensation would be forthcoming, regardless of how long the issue persisted, OR wait until the issue was resolved and see about compensation then. As you just said, "it may take some time work through things", and it's already been much longer than a week, so I chose to wait.

Since this ticket was closed, is my only option now to start over from scratch, explain this all again, and upload bank statements again and continue to try to escalate?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@jstaczek, thanks for posting back!

I apologize that you were told the ticket was closed; the escalation ticket is very much still open and being worked on. Just so you have it, the escalation ticket number is CTP-9101. Once they have an update for you, they will reach back out via chat and let you know. I'd suggest at that time discussing the compensation.

Feel free to post back here to let us know how the escalation goes in case it helps other users!

-Coach Natalie

• jstaczek
    Options

Thanks, Natalie. I'll just stand by while it's being worked on.

• jstaczek
    jstaczek Member
    Options

Natalie,

I reached out to support with that ticket number three times since 2/21 and never got a response. I also never saw a notification in the app that there was any status update. Those three accounts continued to pull in duplicate transactions until they stopped altogether on 2/27. My Simplifi account is now very far out of sync with reality and not worth taking the time to fix by hand because the underlying issue remains unsolved.

The ticket may still be open and be being worked on, but I have no way of knowing whether this is ever going to be resolved.

What is the email address of the executive responsible for customer satisfaction? I think it’s time to let them know what it’s like to be a Simplifi customer and then get on with my financial life elsewhere.

— Jason

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    Options

I believe Quicken Support has an unfortunate and confusing tendancy to call everything a "ticket." For instance, I got this in my inbox the other day

Now, I know for a fact that the issue I contacted support about was created as a ticket by support and is still open. I think that the actual interaction with the support team member is also called a "ticket." That interaction had a beginning, middle and most importantly and end, and this can lead to customer confusion about what was closed and why.

When seeking customer feedback on support interaction, I strongly suggest finding a different term than "ticket" to refer to it.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@jstaczek, thanks for reaching back out!

I'm not seeing any interactions from you for about a month, so I'm not sure what to check for as far as you not receiving a response, though I do apologize that this happened. As for the escalation, it is still open and there is no update, which is why you haven't heard back from anyone in that regard. These escalations can take time, so it may be a while before a solution is found.

If you'd like to leave your feedback for us, this article goes over how to do so: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3828518-how-can-i-send-product-feedback

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue is causing!

-Coach Natalie

• jstaczek
    jstaczek Member
    Options

I was mailing the customer support address that I had received information from originally. Apparently, that was the wrong place to ask. I tried replying to one of the coaches and got the unhelpful response that the escalation was still in progress, that I should be patient, because these things take time, and I was too far into my trial period to be compensated.

I’m done.

This discussion has been closed.