Awful Product for Managing Personal Finances

Options
lennyhadley
lennyhadley Member
edited March 19 in Feedback

I'm going to just be brutally honest. I tried to get this thing to work for 2 months for me, but it is brutal. It constantly miscategorized things. The spending plan is a disaster of a feature to try to use. I am so disappointed in this product top to bottom. If you have more than one account of any type on here, expect a complete mess. I have an account called "Spend". I can't tell you, how many time transactions in my account for Discover Bank showed as "Spend" as the CATEGORY. Spend wasn't a category even available for me to choose from.

Linking transactions in your spending plan to existing transactions isn't possible if you pay it out of different accounts each month. Credit Card linking is horrific. "Transfers" is not how anyone refers to a credit card payment. And if you setup a spending plan to see just your checking account, you'll see a bunch of transfer transactions on there for your credit cards anyway. God forbid you want to change a date on a transaction, it will just ignore you after a day and put it back to the original date. A lot of people get paid on the 31st of a month for instance, but want to count that as their 1st of the month paycheck. Can't do that successfully at all.

All of this would be fine if this product was free. But for $50 a year, you expect a polished product, not a bunch of bugs and a constant discussion about fixing them. Truly wish I could get my money back for the time I wasted using this.

Comments

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, I see some of what you are saying, and will see if I can understand better.

1. You can use the category: credit card payment instead of transfer if you don't want to link the two accounts. I often use Credit Card Payment and let Simplifi offer to link them when they come in. Simplifi still counts it as a transfer, because that is what it is. It isn't spending unless of course you don't want to keep up with your credit card accounts. The Spending Plan now shows Transfers but it doesn't count them as spending. The monthly amount should be 0.00 unless you override this amount or include them in the Spending Plan.
    2. I am confused about an account called Spend. You create your accounts and they usually have names like Checking, Savings, Regions Bank. Could you elucidate? Credit Cards sometimes download transactions with canned categories. You can override these or teach Simplifi a rule. I find rules often more troublesome than I want so I just change the transactions as they come in. Rules work fine if the Payee always for the same category. If not, you just change it when it is downloaded or when you enter it.
    3. Recurring transactions will link automatically if they are downloaded into the account you set them up in (and it is within a reasonable time of the date of the recurring. If you use another account, you link it manually. Open the transaction and you should see link to a recurring transaction at the top right.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

This discussion has been closed.