Search for amount brings up wrong transactions

Options
DavidB
DavidB Member ✭✭
edited April 9 in Report a Bug

When I search for an amount in Simplifi, it brings up many transactions that do not actually match the amount. In this example, I am search for 10.20 and….

(1) It does find the one I want (the first one)

(2) it also brings up many other that are not 10.20 and what's more, do not contain the string, "10.20" - for example, the one for 91.96. When I look at the details, it does not have "10.20" anywhere that I can see.

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The ones it is finding have "10" and "20 in the date, I suspect that's the reason. Not saying it's right.

Rob Wilkens

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk I don't think so. In this case, I'm looking for transactions in the amount of $320 but it's finding all kinds of other transactions, eg this one from Shop Rite:

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24
    Options

When I type a decimal, the amount search works better, even when searching for a whole number example 320.00 instead of just 320.

Having said that, your 10.20 search example looks odd in its results. Thanks for reporting the issue.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tried searching for 10.20 on the transaction list and I got results for transactions having 10 on the date or 10.20 somewhere in the number.

I also searched for 2.0 and got a similar result. The amount contained a 2 or the date contained a 2. The amount search should only show transactions with an amount = +2.0 or -2.0

Per the support article

• Searching for a generic number, such as "2.0", will return results for both +2.00 and -2.00. Definitely not the result I see below.

From the support article https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6354977-transaction-search-tips

Searching for Amounts

The following formulas can be used when searching for transaction amounts in Quicken Simplifi:

• Searches that start with a minus sign (-) or a plus sign (+) will restrict your results to expenses or income, respectively.
    • Searching for a generic number, such as "23", will return results for both +23.00 and -23.00.
    • Searching "-23.50" will search for -23.50 specifically (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).
    • Searching "-23ish" will search for values roughly around -23.00 (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).
    • Searching "~-23" will also search for values roughly around -23.00 (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).
    • Searching "+>1000" will search for income transactions greater than 1000.00 (you can also use the minus sign to search for expenses).
    • Searching "+<1000" will search for income transactions less than 1000.00 (you can also use the minus sign to search for expenses).

Minter 2014-2023

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA Thanks. How do I turn this into a bug report?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie @Coach Kristina can you please turn this post into a bug report?

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @DavidB,

For faster assistance with this issue, I recommend contacting Quicken Simplifi Support directly. For Support's contact information, please click this link: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support .

Thank you!

-Coach Kristina

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Options

@DavidB

In the meantime, when looking for a dollar amount you can also use the "$" sign to tell Simplifi you are looking for an amount and not just the numbers.

For example: $320 or $10.20, etc, will tell Simplifi you want to search the Amount data field and not all fields in the transactions.

My search using "320" basically returned every transaction with any one of or combination of the digits 3 and 2 and 0.

Not saying this is or isn't a bug, but defining parameters is necessary.

When I type in 10.20, I am thinking $10.20 as an amount and assume Simplifi will limit its search to the Amount data field, but it appears that Simplifi is defaulting to searching all data fields in every transaction and not just the amount data field.

It may be that this should be the default search parameter in Simplifi and if I'm searching other parameters, I would need to designate what field to search.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Options

If one needs to add a $ sign to search for amounts, the support article should state such. As written, it affirms that searching for 23 will return amounts of +23 or - 23.

See below text from support article.

The following formulas can be used when searching for transaction amounts in Quicken Simplifi:

Searches that start with a minus sign (-) or a plus sign (+) will restrict your results to expenses or income, respectively.

Searching for a generic number, such as "23", will return results for both +23.00 and -23.00.

Searching "-23.50" will search for -23.50 specifically (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).

Searching "-23ish" will search for values roughly around -23.00 (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).

Searching "~-23" will also search for values roughly around -23.00 (you can also use the plus sign to search for income).

Searching "+>1000" will search for income transactions greater than 1000.00 (you can also use the minus sign to search for expenses).

Searching "+<1000" will search for income transactions less than 1000.00 (you can also use the minus sign to search for expenses).

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6354977-transaction-search-tips

Update: When I search for $2.0, the system finds any transaction with $2.0 in the amount or the notes. Worked better than using 2.0 above.

Minter 2014-2023

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @DannyB , adding a "$" worked. Very helpful.

I agree with @UrsulaA that the instructions on the screen need an update to so indicate.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So I used the "-" with 2.00 and Simplifi returned all $2.00 transactions. Just using the $ will return all transactions positive and negative with 2 and 0, i.e. 2.00, 200.00, 2000.00, etc.

Adding a "-" or "+" is easy enough to gets to the specified amount.

Once again, good job @UrsulaA for getting at the core of the issue.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • vaslit
    vaslit Member
    Options

Tech support tells me that searching for "34" (without quotes) returns all items containing either "3" or "4". "This is how it works," he said. My feedback is: this is nonsense. It is like when I want to find all transactions for zelle or venmo I need to type "zellevenmo". Or when I type "zelle" it returns all items containing either "z" or "e" or "l".

How do I make a feature request to make searching for "34" return only the items containing "34" ?

Yes, typing "$34" works. Still, my request holds. Thanks!!

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

Totally agree. As a 35 year veteran of IT, I question the sanity of the deveoper!

This discussion has been closed.