Issue with Incorrect Historical Account Balance Data

Options
amross
amross Member
edited March 27 in Using Reports

I am hoping you can help me with an issue I am experiencing regarding the upload of historical account balances from Mint data into Simplifi. I joined Simplifi in December and so had only about 3 months of account balance data as reflected in my net worth report. I saw this article you posted about the capability to now import historical balances and rebuild a chronological net worth report like I used to have in Mint. ( https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8912157-how-to-import-account-balance-history

)

Unfortunately I made a process error and now I am stuck with incorrect data. When I grabbed the account balance data for an account in Mint and uploaded it to Simplifi, I had not yet refreshed the Mint data and so it was incorrect for the past few months. The incorrect data overwrote the data from Simplifi (based on pulled transactions), so my net worth went down and no longer matched the result shown in my dashboard. I thought "no problem, I'll just pull corrected Mint data, and upload it again". When I did that though, something worse happened. This time the previously uploaded (wrong) data was overwritten with nulls. So for example if an account used to say $80K from simplifi data, I uploaded a file which lowered that value to $75K (error in pulling mint data before syncing accounts), then when I tried to upload correct data under the same account, now the account shows "-" where the balance used to be. In short, my net worth tracker is incorrect, and though I have correct data I would like to import, there is no way for me to undo the incorrect data. Given that this is not transaction data, but rather a balance snapshot, I can't seem to find any way to fix it. I would really rather not disconnect my 10+ accounts and start over.

As I understand it, this functionality was only recently added, so maybe that's why theres no way to undo a data upload or clear historical balance data. But is there any way around this? Could someone from a tech team on the backend help me here? I'd either like a clean slate to try again, or at the very least, have it go back to using simplifi data so its correct even if its only a few months of data. Please help if you can - I already tried phone support but they said there's nothing to be done or they couldn't find any processes in their resources to point me to.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@amross, thanks for reaching out!

To clarify, importing historical account balances should only impact the Net Worth Report and the Investments: Balances feature if you imported balances for an investment account, whereas the actual balance for a connected account in the Accounts List is provided by the bank. With that, it's not exactly clear what's going on — are you seeing a balance discrepancy for a connected account, or are you seeing incorrect Net Worth data?

If you do end up wanting us to delete your dataset so you can start all over, we can certainly take care of that for you. It might not be a bad way to go so you can have a fresh start and give the whole process another try. Just let us know!

-Coach Natalie

• amross
    Options

Hi Natalie, thanks for your response. I am seeing incorrect net worth data in the net worth report due to the aforementioned problems with uploading of historical account balance data within the reports section of simplifi. Everything looks fine in terms of the dashboard view and transactions views. What I am seeking to do is clear out my historical net worth data in the reports part of Simplifi, in hopes of importing the historical data correctly so that the net worth history in reports (currently wrong, the $119k number) lines up with the "true" value displayed in my accounts dashboard view (the $401k number)

• amross
    Options

So yes, if its possible to delete out my net worth history in simplifi reports, that's exactly what I'd like to do. Then I can re-import correct data, which should fix my problem. I dont see any way for me to clear out the incorrect net worth history that has already been imported. Thank you.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@amross, thanks for clarifying!

There is not a way to delete net worth history only, but we can delete your entire dataset if you want to start completely over. Otherwise, you should be able to re-import the historical account balances, which will overwrite the history that currently exists in the Net Worth Report.

If you experience any trouble when attempting to do so, I'd suggest contacting our Support Team directly for more advanced assistance and advise them that you are trying to overwrite a previous import with a new import instead of asking if you can start over with the net worth history, as this will give them a clearer understanding of the direction to take.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

Feel free to post back with the results in case it helps other users!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.