Savings Goals Woes

Options
cowboydude99
cowboydude99 Member ✭✭
edited April 8 in Using Savings Goals

Hello,

I've just contributed to my March savings goal… It shows that I've contributed on the main goal page, however, it is showing in February, not March.

Is there an alternative to savings goals? Maybe I just don't understand them, but I have had nothing but issues with them.

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @cowboydude99

Where are you seeing that the contribution is for February and not March?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • cowboydude99
    cowboydude99 Member ✭✭
    Options

@DannyB

It's showing on the spending plan for Feb. Under goals it's doubled.

I've gone ahead and tried to deduct from the goal (for another expense), and then add it back again, but again it came up under February.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just made contributions to two of my SGs for March and both recorded as March contributions.

I wonder if this is a "clock" issue with yesterday being leap year/leap day and it's throwing something off.

Maybe do the deduct for another expense thing again and wait until tomorrow to try again giving a little more distance from the turn of the month?

@Coach Natalie or @Coach Jon may have insight as to what's going on.

Danny
  • cowboydude99
    cowboydude99 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, @DannyB , I just retried… same thing. In the spending plan for March, it shows 'not contributed'.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Congrats on your retirement!

Danny
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sometimes clearing the cache, cookies, signing out, and signing in again helps refresh the spending plan data. Also, try login into Simplifi from incognito mode, that refreshes the data as well.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• cowboydude99
    cowboydude99 Member ✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA ,

Thank you, but that didn't help. I think I'll just skip this functionality until they figure out something that works properly.

If there was a transaction log that I could modify (like any other account), with dates, then I wouldn't have to delete the goal and restart…

I know this is a work in progress, so I'll revist in the future.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I understand your frustration, sorry that savings goals are not working for you.

What I do: I use real transfers to track contributions to savings accounts for savings goals and apply the savings goal tag I selected to these transfers (example car). I only use the savings goal to track the amount I have contributed but omit the saving goal contributions from the spending plan.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @cowboydude99,

After reviewing everything you have tried so far, my only other suggestion would be to try from a different browser or the mobile app to see if the issue is browser-specific. If you still have trouble after trying those avenues I would suggest contacting Quicken Simplifi support directly for more advanced troubleshooting. https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• cowboydude99
    cowboydude99 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Coach Jon , I have tried incognito mode and on the mobile app.

@UrsulaA , I was thinking the same thing. You had helped me with the 'Cash' account for ATM spending. I was trying to equate that logic to this area.

The trouble I see with this is that I use it to put money aside for bills that are not monthly, such as a yearly subscription, or a bi-monthly sewer bill.

The bills get paid in the real account (checking or credit card), so they're deudcted from that account, but then I have to put in another transaction on the 'allocation' account.

I'm wondering if I use 'balance adjustment' with the transaction amount…. that might work, but I'll have to test it out.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cowboydude99

Looks live you've already received lots of good help from @UrsulaA and @DannyB. For what it's worth, here's a post that I did awhile back that explains how I have my Savings Goals set up. Granted, it's not exactly like Simplifi designed them, but it works for me and - until Simplifi adds some automation to their Savings Goal feature - my way certainly reduces the chance of your February/March contribution confusion.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.