Mint changed my brain

Options
Archaea
Archaea Member
edited April 9 in Introduce yourself!

Hi All,

Another former Mint user forced to come here. I feel like Mint changed the way my brain views budgets. I cannot comprehend a budgeting software that doesn't allow rollover each month. Rollover is how I manage large purchases, I effectively "borrow" from my own savings and catch up through rolling the expense through each month. I keep a dynamic budget so I can shunt funds from, say, shopping into home improvement, if I have a large expense that month. I also want the ability to rollover excess funds if I know a large purchase is coming. That allows me to have a savings budget in many categories.

This all helps me stay within my income and keep my savings "untouched" except to borrow against myself.

I'm feeling regret that I paid for the yearly plan not realizing this was a mint-specific feature. I almost certainly won't renew next year if some form of rollover isn't implemented.

Tagged:

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Archaea
    Archaea Member
    Options

Thank god

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7
    Options

@Archaea

Wow, didn't know god was on the development team at Quicken Simplifi… if god is on the team… maybe we should all be a bit more careful with our criticisms ⚡️🤣

Oh, and were you "forced" to come here? Perhaps "forced" to find an alternative to M*** but not sure you were forced to come to here in particular. 😏

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, Mint changed a lot of brains by encouraging bad practices such as rollovers.

I sincerely hope the new feature works well. But I approach this with trepidation lest it not be optional. I left Mint precisely because it encouraged bad budgeting practices like this.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome @Archaea !

Using any software tends to do that to you. Lots of people have found that Simplifi changed their brains for the better. Once we see the rollover go live, hopefully, you'll find that the software works for you as well! Do be patient and give it a go, Simplifi is a good program and is actively being made better all the time.

Looking forward to seeing you in the community.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Jwhite
    Jwhite Member
    Options

Mint user .. so far I HATE this. I do not see a simple intuitive way to see my monthly budget on one page with budgeted amount, spend so far, a nd a quick way to adjust and relabalance. Unless I am missing something, I am done and out. Need to find another too;. so bummed.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jwhite

The closest you'll find in Simplifi to a Mint-style budget is (on desktop): Spending Plan > Planned Spending

Once you set up your budgeted categories here with the amounts that you want to spend on them, you'll find them on your Dashboard. Instead of scrolling up/down like you probably did in Mint, you'll scroll side to side. Still, with the screenshot below, I can easily see that nine days into the month, I'm okay for awhile with Gas and doing great with diapers!

Give it some time to let it sink in and - I hope - you'll find that you grow to like Simplifi…I have!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.