Linking miscategorized transactions to existing recurring series does not change category

Options
Bgz
Bgz Member ✭✭
edited April 12 in Report a Bug

I have a miscategorized Hulu transaction. When I link it to an existing recurring series with “entertainment “ as a category, the transaction does not update the category to entertainment. It still says uncategorized.

I feel it should auto update to match the category of the series.

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Bgz ,

To assist with this issue, please provide additional information. Is this the first/only time this has happened, or is it a recurring issue? If this is a recurring issue, does this happen with every transaction that does not already match the reminder, or does this happen only with certain transactions? Is this happening with manual transactions, downloaded transactions, or both? What process are you using to link the transaction to the reminder?

One other feature that may be helpful if you have certain transactions downloading incorrectly is creating transaction rules. For more information, click here.

I look forward to your response!

-Coach Kristina

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭
    Options

This happens for every autodownloaded transaction which is uncategorized or miscategorized. It happens even if I decide to change a correct category to link to a recurring series with a different category. It probably happens for manual transactions but I haven’t tried it yet.

In other words, the issue is not about categorization of transactions initially. I understand it can be imprecise at times. But rather, when I link to a recurring series of a certain category, the newly linked transaction does not get recategorized to that original category of a series.

I goto my transaction and click on link to existing recurring series and select the series I want.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Bgz ,

According to our article here, both Payees & Categories should be updating to match the reminder. If it does not, I would suggest manually changing it at that time. This way, you have an immediate solution to the problem at hand.

Thank You,

Coach Jon

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Coach Jon This is what I have been doing to have an immediate solution to my problem. However, I feel that this is a bug in the software that category doesn’t auto update. Hope the Simplifi Team will look into it and fix it.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Bgz , thanks for posting back!

This happens to me I'd say a couple of times a month or so. Since it's not too impactful, I just manually edit the transaction to apply the changes, which it sounds like is what you're doing. To clarify, do you see this often, every single time, or just occasionally? Does it happen with a specific Recurring Series? Does it happen when the transaction is automatically linked to the Reminder, or are you manually linking it? If the latter, have you noticed a difference when linking from the transaction directly versus from the Reminder directly, or anything along those lines?

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4436514-linking-transactions-to-reminders

Before considering submitting something for escalation, we need to understand what exactly is going on, narrow down any potential culprits, as well as gauge the level of impact to determine if the issue would be considered a one-off. We may also be able to provide some things to try first to see if we can get things working better for you, such as deleting and recreating the Recurring Series the issue is happening with if it seems specific to that Series, etc.

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭
    Options

It happens to me every time I manually link to a recurring series irrespective of which recurring series I choose. I choose to link directly from the transaction all the time. Linking from the reminder seems to be working better - I hadn't tried it before now.

While this is relatively minor issue, it still would be good to have a fix so that we do not miscategorize transactions inadvertently.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Bgz , thanks for confirming!

Yeah, it definitely doesn't happen to me every time, but I can understand how frustrating that would be. I'd honestly suggest trying some things yourself to see if you can correct the behavior without an escalation. It sounds like linking from the Reminder seems to be helping, so maybe doing so for a Recurring Series a few times will "teach" Quicken Simplifi. You can also try deleting and recreating one of your Recurring Series to see if the behavior changes the next time you link to one of the associated Reminders from the transaction.

If the issue persists and you'd like to have it looked at by our product team, please go ahead and contact our Support Team directly to do so. Some of the data I'd suggest having ready to show proof of the issue are:

1. A few specific example transactions that were not updated when linked to a Recurring Reminder with the original Date, Payee, and Amount.
    2. The details of the associated Recurring Series that the transactions were linked to with the Name, Amount, and Account (I'd suggest using different Recurring Series for each of your examples to show the issue is not specific to a certain Series).
    3. I'd also suggest taking some screenshots of the Transaction Detail view for each of the example transactions showing that they're linked to a Recurring Series, but the Payee and Category were not updated to match the Series (this is easiest to obtain from the Web App, as you'll be able to capture the entire Transaction Detail window in one screenshot).

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

If you do end up contacting Support for this, please feel free to post back with any news or updates in case it helps other users.

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.