Split transactions across category type

Options
Dani2023
Dani2023 Member

Scenario:

Paycheck is received - it includes personal income and reimbursement for expenses (e.g., airfare purchased on a personal credit card)

I want to split the paycheck transaction so that it shows both transactions - for example:

+2000 paycheck becomes

+1800 paycheck

+200 airfare

(essentially reducing the total amount spent on airfare category for the month)

Is this no longer doable post the updated split function?

Best Answer

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Dani2023,

Thank you for the reply! When replicating the issue on our side, we did add a (+) sign to the beginning of our split amount.

I would suggest adding that (+) sign as well to see if that works for you. Let us know if that works!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

Answers

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Dani2023,

Thanks for your inquiry! To split a transaction in Quicken Simplifi you will want to follow the instructions in this article: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3348103-managing-transactions-in-quicken-simplifi#split-a-transaction

Each split can have its own category & tag of your choosing. I hope this information helps!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Dani2023
    Options

Hi Coach Jon -

Thanks for the reply - when I try this approach my total amount for the split increases, overall increasing the amount of the initial paycheck total - essentially forcing the overall initial transaction amount higher.

I'm trying to take the initial amount, and split it between categories - therefore leaving the initial transaction amount the same.

When I receive a refund from a payee - it comes back in as a positive to an expense category, for example as a + to an expense category. I'd like to accomplish the same type of action here.

Therefore-

$1800 to paycheck

+200 to utilities (or another expense category) that is being reimbursed

unfortunately, your response did not address this question

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Dani2023,

Thanks for your response. In the Split Transaction window, when you enter a Split, it should automatically take from the original amount of the transaction like you want and the Left To Split amount should decrease. To help clarify, when creating the split, are you adding a (+) symbol in front of the amount or are you typing just the amount in?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Dani2023
    Options

Hi Jon,

I am not adding a (+).

In fact, the system will not allow me to add a (+) when splitting a positive transaction. It also will not allow me to add a (-) when splitting a negative transaction.

In other words, the system does not "automatically take from the original amount of the transaction" - instead, it assumes that only more money can be added.

Do you have any other recommendations? I am open to suggestions.

• Dani2023
    Options

Jon -

You are a wicked genius! I see what you did there.

I need to add (+) to the first line of split.

In my original effort, I didn't do that. I had made the mis-assumption that if I started with the "paycheck" amount and put that in the first transaction, and then put the other categories below, that those were the items I needed to "adjust."

Thank you so very much for working through this with me. Your solution worked perfectly. Once I added (+) to the first item and all additional lines the match worked correctly.

This discussion has been closed.