Getting categories to import from .csv

Options

@UrsulaA

Tagging you b/c you seem you know your way around Mint imports… I'm trying to import a mint CSV, but I cleaned the data a lot already. I separated into a .csv file for each account. I understand Category import will not work on the standard .csv import option. If I format my columns to match the mint template, will my categories import? I linked my banks but deleted everything prior to 2024. I am only trying to import mint transactions from 2023.

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @muel87,

Thanks for reaching out to the community. For importing from Mint using a CSV, you will generally not want to alter it before importing it into Quicken Simplifi. Here is a good article explaining the instructions for Importing with Mint. https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• muel87
    muel87 Member
    Options

Yes I've read all the articles, but not altering it isnt possible. I was only given one huge file from the mint download, I already had to separate it based on account.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    edited March 13
    Options

Hello @muel87,

It is fine if you want to split it up and import your data via several CSV files. But you will not want to alter the actual data/format. For importing categories specifically, this article explains how that works from Mint to Quicken Simplifi:

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint#h_ebbe35aedd

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I used the Mint CSV template and imported it using the Import function per account. Looks like now, the CSV import can be done with one file.

The categories will import and will land on Mint named parent categories, example Mint expenses.

I also connected the banks before importing transactions to ensure Simplifi had the connections I needed. Then, I deleted the transactions that overlapped in the Mint CSV and imported the remainder.

The article quoted earlier is helpful. I did my imports from Mint almost 3 months ago.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• muel87
    muel87 Member
    Options

Ugh… everything works fine when importing a checking account .csv, but not when importing the credit card .csvs…. I dont know what the difference could be. I just get "an error ocurred during CSV file inport"

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14
    Options

I got an error, waited a bit, and the transactions showed up for some of the accounts. Otherwise, support can do a call with you to help you get set up if you request one.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• muel87
    muel87 Member
    edited March 14
    Options

Ok. It's strange though…. I imported 2 checking account files, was fine. Tried 4 credit card files, wouldnt work. Went back and tried one of the old checking account files again, and it didnt give me the error! It has to be just a coincidence that the files that work are the ones with checking account transactions, right?

• muel87
    muel87 Member
    edited March 17
    Options

Hi Jon,

This process is quite frustrating. Mint .csv files mysteriously wont upload, even though they are formatted exactly as directed, or plain .csv files upload incompletely. I managed to get the whole .csv file to upload to a manual account, but there's no way to get those transaction into the account they belong in. About ready to give up.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 18
    Options

@muel87, I'm sorry to hear that you're continuing to experience Mint import issues!

At this point, I'd suggest contacting our Support Team directly for more advanced assistance, as they have the ability to engage in a screen-sharing session with you where you can walk them through what's going on and they can troubleshoot the behavior and help find the best solution for you.

Please post back and let us know how it goes in case it helps other users!

-Coach Natalie

• muel87
    muel87 Member
    Options

So I learned that "debit" or "credit" needs to be all lower case.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.