Also coming from Mint (longtime user); have a question.

Options
guitarman
guitarman Member
edited April 19 in Getting Started

How do you guys use the "Other Banking: Cash" category? I don't understand how that is supposed to work.

Comments

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure where you are seeing this, but I will assume you are referring to setting up an account.

I treat it just like a bank account.

1. I create a manual account called Cash and assign it to Other Banking.
    2. When I withdraw money from a bank account to carry in my pocket, I note that as a Transfer in my Spending Plan (From Checking to Cash)
    3. When I spend cash, I note that as a manual transaction in the Transactions register.

Note that in my case, some time ago I changed my Cash account from Other Banking to Checking. I think I had a reason for it at the time, but I can't remember what it was now. I think just to adjust where the account was placed in the Accounts list - I wanted to see it under "Cash and Checking," but if I made it an Other Banking account, then it showed up someplace completely different.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• guitarman
    Options

Thanks for your help!

• guitarman
    Options

I'm still puzzled, though. When set up my accounts, a large amount showed up automatically in that account and I don't know where it came from. When I tried to delete it to start from zero, I was able to delete the two transactions that were there, but the total amount for that account did not change.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@guitarman - can you share a screenshot? Do you see the balance on reports, the transaction list, or both?

Note that when the account is linked to the bank, balances are downloaded separately from transactions.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19
    Options

Did you import data from your former app and have a cash account in that former app with a balance? I ask because Simplifi doesn’t have a default cash account. A cash account would be a manual account the user sets up and manually adds and subtracts funds into/out of. Since this is a cash account with a balance that cash has to be somewhere in your possession as cash. If the balance and the actual cash don’t exist anywhere, I’d think you could simply delete the account completely. If the account is reflecting actual funds at a bank, you may need to change the type of account in Simplifi to reflect the type of account at the actual page.

Here is a helpful article on cash accounts in Simplifi.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • guitarman
    Options

I did transfer over from Mint. Thanks for your help!

This discussion has been closed.