How does the 30 day free trial work?

Options
Mark O
Mark O Member
edited April 19 in Getting Started

I thought there was a 30 day free trial period for Simplifi, but when I try and go to select my plan, it takes me to the annual fee and the terms and services indicate the billing starts right away.

Even if there is a free trial this makes me a bit nervous if I need to provide a credit card and want to cancel before the period ends

Best Answers

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can cancel at any time in the first 30 days. Requiring a credit card is standard practice, since if you do not cancel they can't bill you. Almost every service that offers a free trial period requires a payment method to account for not canceling.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18 Answer ✓
    Options
    1. Never imported, so I can't answer.
    2. Yes, Split functionality is pretty comprehensive
    3. Haven't exported, so not sure, but I think so.
    4. Yes, Unknown by me
    5. Yes
    6. Yes

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18 Answer ✓
    Options

@Mark O, As someone who imported from Mint and exports CSV regularly to Excel, below are my responses.

1. Custom categories and transactions export to a CSV
    2. Splits work, however, they are structured as parent>child and not as separate transactions. Dates and payees cannot be changed on a split transaction. Notes can only be added at the parent/original transaction level. When I needed to change dates, payees, or add split specific notes, I deleted the transaction and re-entered the splits as their own transaction. This scenario only happened to me once or twice.
    3. Splits will be exported but the parent rows do not copy automatically to the CSV. They look like this.

4. Notes work and are exported

5. Tags work for splits and transactions, tags are exported

6. Mobile app is feature complete, cannot bulk edit transactions in it.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Regarding item 2 - Simplifi only allows entry of notes at the parent level of the split transaction. The original description does not come down in the CSV export. If I want that info in Excel, I export a CSV direct from the bank. Tags and categories come in splits, see screenshot. Weekly Dining is a tag I used.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Answers

• Mark O
    Mark O Member
    Options

I thought there was a 30 day free trial period for Simplifi, but when I try and go to select my plan, it takes me to the annual fee and the terms and services indicate the billing starts right away.

Even if there is a free trial this makes me a bit nervous if I need to provide a credit card and want to cancel before the period ends

• Mark O
    Mark O Member
    Options

I am evaluating alternatives for Mint and need a tool that focuses on past transactions and have several tools to review. Since I don't want to subscribe to all of them, until I make a selection, I have a few questions about Simplifi:

1) Allow for Custom Categories with the ability to export all categorized transactions to a CSV file or Spreadsheet? 2) Ability to split a transaction, like a Credit Card payment, into multiple / 10-15 varying categories? 3) If Split functionality exists, will the results of the split be part of the Export or only the original transaction? 4) Ability to add a note or comment to a transaction? and if so, will this data be part of the export, assuming transactions can be exported? 5) Ability to add tags or labels to a transaction?  If so can these be customized and are these exportable? 6) Mobile / phone update capabilities (e.g. updating categories, splitting transactions, etc,)?

• Mark O
    Mark O Member
    Options

Thanks Ursula and Anthony for the quick responses. I appreciate your time. It sounds like there is enough functionality that gits my requirements for me to do the trial in the next couple days, after I finish a couple other tool assessments. I do see a couple gaps, but this may still be a better alternative:; I only use the front end of the tool, as all my results are managed in my own MS Excel Template that is fairly robust as I have been using for over 10 years.

1. I use Notes quite a bit for my split transactions (12 years of transaction history and pivot table) and since this function is only on the parent transaction, that is a gap for me; And, since only the children trans come across on the split, that is also a gap
    2. Ursula, I think I understand your split / export response - Only children come across to my CSV w no notes. QUESTION: Will the original description come across on all of the split transactions via the Export AND are Tags allowed on the splits and will they come across as well?

This discussion has been closed.