Wealthfront App Password

Options
weili
weili Member

I originally added my Wealthfront account using my regular password and account email, but it kept having re-authentication issues. I've been told to try generating an App Password to log in, but whenever I try to do that now, I get an error (103) saying that the sign-in information doesn't match the account.

I have tried deleting the Wealthfront connection multiple times, and each time it only lets me log in with my real password, not the generated App Password in Wealthfront's security settings. I know it works with other services because I've been able to connect it to Credit Karma, but not sure why Simplifi won't recognize it.

Any help or insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @weili,

To assist with this issue, let's try some troubleshooting. Did you already follow this process to create an app password:

1. Log in to Wealthfront, then navigate to Settings.
    2. Under Link Wealthfront to other apps, select Generate an app-specific password.
    3. Follow the steps to create an App Password for Quicken Simplifi.
    4. Add accounts to Simplifi using the new password.

There are certain special characters known to cause issues in Quicken Simplifi. If the app password contains any of the following special characters: & < > / \, that may be what's causing the issue.

Is there any sort of multi-factor authentication set up on the account(s)? If so, are you getting the proper prompts? Are you seeing the 103 error every time? Are there any other error messages?

I look forward to your response!

-Coach Kristina

• weili
    weili Member
    Options

Hi @Coach Kristina,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have already followed the above process multiple times and still doesn't work. The app password does not contain any of those special characters you referenced, they typically look like this (it's no longer an active pw, but just showing one for example): bfnfopzurpxhi9d1o9dcyfxfu1zh.

I do have multi-factor authentication set up, it sends a code to my phone number, so that does work and gives me a prompt to enter the code when I log in with my regular email/password; however, part of the issue is then Simplifi won't refresh automatically because of that 2-factor authentication requirement.

I am seeing the 103 error everytime I try to log in with an App Password instead of my regular password.

Thanks,

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    edited March 20
    Options

Hello @weili,

Thanks for the reply! I would suggest trying both instances we have for Wealthfront in Quicken Simplifi.

You can make the accounts manual and then use the Add Account flow to get a completely fresh connection. If the connection is successful, you'll then want to link the accounts to your existing Quicken Simplifi accounts. Let us know how that goes!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• weili
    weili Member
    Options

@Coach Jon Hi thanks, I'm trying on both the Website and iPhone app, and I only see the instance of "Wealthfront Inc." and not the other one. Is there another way to search for the other instance to try?

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    edited March 20
    Options

Hello @weili,

Thank you for the quick reply! It appears that this issue may be due to you being set up on Finicity for online banking aggregation. We don't have access to any of the Finicity tools here in the Community, so I would advise you to contact Quicken Simplifi support directly for this issue. https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

Make sure to let the support agent know that you are on the Finicity aggregator.

Thank You,

Coach Jon

This discussion has been closed.