Add the "-" minus sign to expense transactions (edited)

Options
Stella
Stella Member ✭✭
edited March 21 in Feature Requests

Hi one thing that keeps annoying me is that, unlike Mint, Simpili shows the positive value for all my expense transactions, which I really wish that there is a minus sign to remind me it's an expenditure instead of a credit or refund. Can the team add this feature?

8 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The expense transactions have black numbers while the income transactions show in green with a plus sign. Positive expense transactions like refunds also are in green with a plus sign. Takes a bit to get used to, works for me.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Stella
    Stella Member ✭✭
    Options

Can you open a vote for this? Really want to have this preference display choice with negative mark for expense. It immediately give me the sense that something is deducted from my total net worth. Showing only by black color is not straightforward. For example, you use + with green color to show credit in the account, why not using - with black color to show debit. If you have +, there should also be -. For people that has weak visual response to colors, there is not much difference between green and black, which is not a user friendly for people who have visual impairment.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Stella,

Thanks for posting to the community! We have turned this into an Idea Post for you so that other users may vote on it!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see no harm in this. However it's confusing, for example, when my penfed app shows charges with a + in front, and in here they would have a -. I voted for it anyhow.

Rob Wilkens

• Stella
    Stella Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks so much. Really wish this can be improved asap! :)

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No thanks, this would just add clutter, not to mention redundance, to the register pages. I don't need to see a bunch of dashes running down the amount column "telling" me something I already know - black charters (light mode) or white characters (dark mode) are debits and green characters with a +sign (both modes) are credits. That a + is added to the credits (deposits, refunds, reimbursements) is redundant it is tolerable since credits are typically far fewer than debits and so don't add near the clutter.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think this would be useful on the Splits page where sometimes it shows a plus sign but never a minus. Other than that I haven't seen a need for it.