Spending Plan Income dissappearing

Options
Max1223
Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 22 in Report a Bug

Hi, I opened Simplifi this morning to see that my recurring income is missing from the Spending Plan Income section.

Here is where the bug seems to be:

from Bills and Payments tab:

The icons of Exclude for this Payment is showing as Excluded in both Spending and Reports.

When I click open this Schwab line item, the check boxes for Exclude are NOT checked.

This line item is also now missing from my Spending Plan Income section

[removed] thanks for any suggestions or thoughts.

Comments

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

fyi I used the 3 dots and here Exclude from Spending Plan and Reports WERE checked, I unchecked them. Now things are working BUT two issues:

1. I havent changed the Exclude feature for this transaction. The last time I had Simplifi open, everything looked normal. The Schwab transaction was in the Spending plan. I just opened this morning to find it missing.
    2. The bug above exist where in the line it showed as Excluded but in the detailed window clicking open the transaction, it showed as NOT Excluded.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another bit of info is The Schwab item is from an Investment account and its a Transfer from there to a Banking. When I used the 3 dots to uncheck Exclude, it placed it in the Transfers and Credit section.

To move it back to the Income section so it would report at income in Reports, I changed the category to an Income category. That moved it to the Income section of the Spending Plan.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe transfers from one account to another are excluded (or cancelled out) by default in the spending plan because you're neither getting nor losing money, you're just moving it from one place to another. You can unhide one side of a transfer for it to count as an income or expense.

Rob Wilkens

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk Thanks, yes you are correct about the transfer being auto Excluded. But I still think there is a bug as in the very first post, the transaction was shown as Excluded, but in the detail window, it was shown NOT excluded.

I set this Transaction up this way,

• to NOT exclude, and
    • changed the recurring to Income via a Rule,
    • so the Spending plan reflects it as income and not as a transfer

another fyi, transaction ACTUALLY has not happened yet, its recurring and due in a couple of day.

but I wonder if Simplifi overrides this since the transaction is a Transfer. If so, its also overriding a Rule I've set.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Max1223,

Thank you for posting to the community. To help clarify, Recurring Reminders are your expected Bills and Income that get matched to transactions of the same variance in Quicken Simplifi. In your screenshot, you referred to an upcoming Recurring Reminder. If you could please provide screenshots of the Recurring Series setup for that item in question, we can determine the details of the Reminder and this would help us understand the situation. You can also try deleting and recreating the Recurring Series to see if that improves things for you.

Additionally, Rules only apply to downloaded transactions, not Recurring Series. Once you link a transaction to a Reminder, it takes on the details of the Recurring Series.

Please let us know when you have the requested information, as we would love to assist!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is a window from Recurring Income. Thanks for your help!

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Jon

Hi, So this morning upon opening Simplifi, the actual transaction came in (still pending) and all above reverted back to what I would call default settings. I'll try to recap:

• I have an Investment account transfer to a checking account that I've set on a recurring basis
      • 1st transaction is the Investment account
        • Through a rule, I change the category to a "Transfer" and Simplifi automatically tags it as Exclude from Spending Plan
      • 2nd transaction is the Checking account
        • Through a rule, I change the category to "Income" so that I can use it in the Spending Plan
    • Simplifi asks me to link transactions, I do NOT, as in the past, I could not get my desired result.
    • My desired result is that I have INCOME in the Spending plan. (I want it in the income section and not the transfer section, this way, I see the income in the Reports as well)

After making the changes via the rules, setting up in the Spending Plan, the transactions seem to revert back to default and I have to manually make these changes. The Income disappears from the Spending Plan and the recurring settings seems to go away as well. This all happens BEFORE the transaction actually comes in as pending and I can recall this happening each month.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if I should be approaching this in a different way.

Thanks for your help.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Jon Morning, I opened Simplifi again this morning and noticed the corrections i made to both Investment and Checking accounts reverted. I changed the category over the weekend and this morning, it shows in its default state. The Checking transaction is still listed as pending. fyi, I update other Pending transactions and they do not seem to revert. I wonder if there is an issue with the transfer between the Investment and Checking account in Simplifi and as it keeps resetting back to default values.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Max1223,

Thanks for the reply. I would suggest waiting for the pending transactions to clear before editing them as this may be causing the issue. Let us know what happens!

Thank You,

Coach Jon

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    Options

@Coach Jon Simplifi again changed the Transactions to default. They have cleared so i'll change it again.

Here is the problem in "waiting" for them to clear: For how ever many days the status is "pending" the spending plan information is completely off as it shows incorrect income so the graphs and line items and numbers are look way off the plan.

I would also continue to say this is a bug as I can change other transactions in pending mode and those changes stick even after they have cleared. I feel the bug may lie in the Investment transaction as all my others, checking, credit card pending changes stick.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Jon So far the changes are now remaining since the transaction has cleared.

If you read my last post, NOT editing till the transaction has cleared isn't a great user experience as Simplifi used Pending data for chart and information in the Spending Plan. So I feel editing data while Pending is a very necessary feature.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Max1223,

Thanks for your replies! You can absolutely edit your pending transactions in Quicken Simplifi! To help us understand your situation better, could you let us know if this issue is centered on investment transactions? Additionally, could you let us know what specific changes are causing problems in your transactions as well?

Thank you,

Coach Jon

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Jon I'd ask that you read through this chat. I've documented the issues quite thoroughly and included images. Yes, it seems this issue is tied to Investment transactions.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Max1223, just to have a second set of eyes on this, I read through everything in this thread and I'm not sure that I'm following the issue. I have some questions that come to mind:

• When viewing the Recurring Series setup in your screenshot, it doesn't show as a Transfer (I see an Income Category) and it looks like it's in a Checking Account — is this the Series that the transaction in question is being linked to? Or is the transaction in question being linked to a Recurring Series at all?
    • If the transaction in question is an Investment Transaction (meaning you access it from Investments > Transactions), I'm not sure that Transaction Rules would appropriately apply unless you're using the Payment/Deposit type — is this the case, and what does your Rule look like? (As a side note, if the transaction in question is being linked to a Recurring Series, it will take on the Payee and Category of the Series so Transaction Rules would not be needed in this situation.)
    • You mention a transaction in a Checking Account and a transaction in an Investment Account (a real-life transfer) — which one of these transactions is being linked to the Recurring Series in your screenshot?
    • Which one of these is being edited while pending to later see those edits have reverted?
    • What specific edits are being made to the transaction in question while pending? Are you referring to Rules that are automatically applied or an automatic link to a Recurring Reminder, or are there manual edits being made?
    • Do the edits only revert when the transaction has cleared in Quicken Simplifi, or do you see an issue while the transaction is still pending?

Alternatively, you may consider contacting our Support Team directly for more advanced troubleshooting, as they have the ability to engage in a screen sharing session with you where you can walk them through exactly what's going on.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie Thanks for the reply, I'll try to answer your questions:

• When viewing the Recurring Series setup in your screenshot, it doesn't show as a Transfer (I see an Income Category) and it looks like it's in a Checking Account — is this the Series that the transaction in question is being linked to? Or is the transaction in question being linked to a Recurring Series at all?
      • There are 2 transactions involved: A Schwab Investment that TRANSFERS to a Wells Checking. I have made the Wells transaction as the recurring Spending plan Income. I have a rule that sets the category to Income since it comes in as a Transfer. I also have a rule that sets the Schwab transaction to Transfer so that it excludes from Plan and Reports. Simplifi asks to link the transactions, but when I do this, it changes categories, i think, which reflects in NO income in the Spending plan, so as of now, I unlink them so I can edit each separately.
    • If the transaction in question is an Investment Transaction (meaning you access it from Investments > Transactions), I'm not sure that Transaction Rules would appropriately apply unless you're using the Payment/Deposit type — is this the case, and what does your Rule look like? (As a side note, if the transaction in question is being linked to a Recurring Series, it will take on the Payee and Category of the Series so Transaction Rules would not be needed in this situation.)
      • Did my answer above cover this?
    • You mention a transaction in a Checking Account and a transaction in an Investment Account (a real-life transfer) — which one of these transactions is being linked to the Recurring Series in your screenshot?
      • The Checking account is recurring and is used in the Spending plan.
    • Which one of these is being edited while pending to later see those edits have reverted?
      • Both revert while pending, the Investment transaction for sure.
    • What specific edits are being made to the transaction in question while pending? Are you referring to Rules that are automatically applied or an automatic link to a Recurring Reminder, or are there manual edits being made?
      • I change the Investment back to Transfer (a rule exists to change to Transfer)
      • I change the Checking back to Income (a rule exists to change to Income and it is recurring used in the Spending plan)
      • The very first post is where the odd behavior started, there are images there. In the Investment transaction line, it shows Icons for Spending plan and Reports Excluded, but when I clicked to open the transaction, the Excluded boxes were UNCHECKED. I had to check and uncheck within the detailed transaction window open to correct this.
      • Note that when it reverts, I have noticed the transactions show up in the Transfers section of the Spending Plan. Maybe this was because I experimented with Simplifi's request to link two transactions together. I want it to show up in Income on the Spending Plan as Reports.
    • Do the edits only revert when the transaction has cleared in Quicken Simplifi, or do you see an issue while the transaction is still pending?
      • So far, once the transactions have cleared, they do not revert. They seemed to revert only while labelled as Pending.

To back up a step, here is my goal. I transfer money from an Investment account as part of my monthly Income. It transfers from Investment to Checking. I set the checking to recurring, use a rule to make it Income so it shows in the Income Spending Plan and in Reports. That's all I really want to do, but somehow the back and forth reverting fields has made this process frustrating and confusing as I don't seem to know how to accomplish the desired goal.

Thanks for your help.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Max1223, thank you for providing the requested information!

I think I have a better handle on this, and I'm wondering if it's due to the bank downloading a new pending transaction in the background each day while it's pending. This isn't something you'd see happening, but essentially the new "version" of the transaction would replace the existing transaction, which could override any edits. We've seen this pop up from time to time in the past and I think some banks provide pending transactions this way. What bank is the Investment Transaction downloaded from — Charles Schwab, right? Also, are these the only transactions you see this issue with, or are there other scenarios as well?

To fully clarify, are the items that revert currently for either/or transaction the Category and the linking to the Reminder, or just the Category? Or are you still seeing the issue with the exclusion settings? And yes, if the transactions are linked by way of the Category, they'd be considered a 'Linked Transfer' and you'd see them as such in the Spending Plan — https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3352152-how-do-transfers-work

It sounds like you have the right idea of changing the income side to an Income Category and leaving the Investment Transaction as an unlinked Transfer. The Investment Transaction is set up as a Payment/Deposit with the Category of just "Transfer", correct? Also, when you say "I change the Investment back to Transfer (a rule exists to change to Transfer)" — do you manually make this change, or is the Rule automatically applied when the transaction initially downloads?

We look forward to your reply!

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie

• What bank is the Investment Transaction downloaded from — Charles Schwab, right? Also, are these the only transactions you see this issue with, or are there other scenarios as well?
      • Yes Schwab, this is the only transaction that transfers over to a NON Investment account, so i have not really seen any other issues. fyi Wells in the checking.
    • To fully clarify, are the items that revert currently for either/or transaction the Category and the linking to the Reminder, or just the Category?
      • Kind of hard to tell as when it happens, i just try to correct. BUT I think the reverts are happening only on the category, the rules themselves seems to stay intact. I do recall losing the recurring transaction in the spending plan though.
    • The Investment Transaction is set up as a Payment/Deposit with the Category of just "Transfer", correct?
      • Yes the Investment IS Payment/Deposit
    • Also, when you say "I change the Investment back to Transfer (a rule exists to change to Transfer)" — do you manually make this change, or is the Rule automatically applied when the transaction initially downloads?
      • When it reverts, the rule isn't taking over anymore so I manually makes the corrections.

Seems like a workaround is to let the transactions Clear, but this isn't great as the charts and numbers in Spending Plan during that period of Pending to Clear are not reflective of the planned income.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Max1223, thanks!

Yes, I think the issue either has to do with the transaction being pending, or possibly because it's an Investment Transaction, as Investment Transactions still have some issues going on. At any rate, though, the purpose of having Transaction Rules is so the changes are automatically applied, preventing manual intervention by the user. And if the Transaction Rule is automatically being applied to a pending transaction, I don't think those changes should revert — you should be able to trust the transaction to be correct at that point.

With that, I think the best we can do from our end is create a ticket to get the behavior in front of our product team. I don't know how long it will take for them to get to the bottom of things, or what they'll discover along the way, but we can certainly try. To do so, we'd need some specific data as follows:

1. The Date, Payee, and Amount of the Investment Transaction in question (two examples would be wonderful, though I know this may take some time to obtain so no biggie if we just start with one).
    2. The details of the Transaction Rule(s) that are set up for the transaction.
    3. A step-by-step process of what exactly happens when the Investment Transaction downloads — this includes any automatic items that take place such as Transaction Rules or linking to a Reminder, as well as any manual changes that are made.
    4. When you notice the changes have been reverted and what specific changes have reverted.
    5. The browser and browser version you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.
    6. The OS of the computer or device you're using to access the Quicken Simplifi Web App.

Please also submit your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie I'll try to do this when the transaction comes in. Is this method of feedback private and viewable only by Quicken team?

Thank you for creating the ticket.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Max1223,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, the Send Feedback option in Quicken Simplifi is private and only viewable to us here at Quicken Simplifi.Let us know when you have sent those logs!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I noticed that I can't control the screen shot as it takes the entire screen. Is there a way to do specific ones or even additional screen shots? @Coach Jon

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Max1223, the screenshot in the feedback report doesn't matter. We will gather any screenshots and data needed from you when escalating the issue. However, you want to wait to provide feedback until after the issue occurs again and you have a new example to provide, as the logs need to capture the events for the example, and we need the new example for the escalation.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    Options

Hi @Coach Natalie The same thing happened again this month. A day before the recurring transaction was due, QS somehow checked the boxes of the Investment account transaction to Exclude from Planned Spending and it no longer shows in pending Income. When I go to Bills and payments I see it, and uncheck Exclude from Spending. Then QS puts it in the Credit section of the Plan. The transaction is not yet even in Pending and not showing anywhere. So feels like something is going on behind the scenes in QS. I did the feedback report above. Again, this is the only transaction I'm having trouble with and its from an Investment Account. Any thoughts?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Max1223, thanks for posting back to let us know!

It sounds like the issue with the Investment Transaction will most likely need to be escalated so we can find out what's going on. To do so, we need the data that was requested above:

We look forward to your reply!

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are talking about sending logs via the Send Feedback using the Profile. I have sent after I noticed the issue. @Coach Natalie What's next?

• Coach Natalie
    edited April 25
    Options

@Max1223, thanks for sending feedback!

We still need all of the data outlined in my comment above:

1. The Date, Payee, and Amount of the Investment Transaction in question (two examples would be wonderful, though I know this may take some time to obtain so no biggie if we just start with one).
    2. The details of the Transaction Rule(s) that are set up for the transaction.
    3. A step-by-step process of what exactly happens when the Investment Transaction downloads — this includes any automatic items that take place such as Transaction Rules or linking to a Reminder, as well as any manual changes that are made.
    4. When you notice the changes have been reverted and what specific changes have reverted.
    5. The browser and browser version you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.
    6. The OS of the computer or device you're using to access the Quicken Simplifi Web App.

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    edited April 30
    Options

@Max1223, thank you for DMing the requested info!

I have gotten a ticket filed for this issue and will post back with any updates.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-20801 // QCS-18231

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.