Some questions from a mint user

Options
swiggity
swiggity Member
edited April 25 in Getting Started

I'm just getting started with Simplifi and had a few questions I didn't see the answers to after searching around here for a bit

1. For budgets/spending plan is there a way to add a parent category along with all of it's child categories to an expense group? For example, I would like to have all restaurant-related spending (restaurants + coffee shops + fast food) in the same bucket the way that mint did it, but it seems I can select only one child or parent category, and the parent category does not include the child categories.
  2. Is there a way to bulk edit investment transaction actions? All of my Fidelity transactions got imported as 'Sell' which is inflating my income. The bulk edit menu only seems to let me change the category, which isn't helpful as investments are not an expense or income.
  3. Related to the above, is there a way to setup a rule that auto-excludes transactions from plans/reports instead of just re-categorizing them? If I can't get investment actions to work correctly I'd prefer to have them auto-ignored.

Best Answers

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

• 1. Yes, I use only parent categories for planned spending and the sub categories are reflected in the tile.

2. Unfortunately, bulk editing of investment actions is not available. I edited these one by one on initial import. There is a feedback thread open for you to comment on regarding investment transactions.

3. Yes, go to settings>accounts, click on the three dots next to the account name and select exclude from spending plan and/or reports

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When creating the planned spending, I find that sometimes login in from an incognito window refreshes the tile. I also deleted the planned spending item and recreated it and the amounts show for parent and sub categories.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Answers

• swiggity
    swiggity Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks! I got everything working except for the budget categories. It still doesn't show anything when I select 'Dining and Drinks' or any other parent category. What's odd is that when I go to setup the budget it reccommends a dollar amount that is roughly correct so it's almost like it's correctly parsing the transactions initially but doesn't follow through.

• swiggity
    swiggity Member
    Options

Thank you, incognito mode fixed it

This discussion has been closed.