In your opinion, what is the most boring movie ever made?

Options
Coach Kristina
Coach Kristina Moderator admin
edited April 2 in The Water Cooler

I saw a news article about the movie Paint Drying, a 10 hours 7 minute movie created as a protest to the barriers to independent filmmakers entering the market. That movie was deliberately designed to be boring, but it does raise the question of what movies you've seen that you think are the most boring ever.

For me, the most boring movie I saw was the version of Romeo and Juliet inflicted on us in Jr High. The story itself should be interesting, but with bad acting and being in old English (making it harder to understand), the movie was a total snooze.

What movies did you find insanely dull?

-Coach Kristina

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Definitely the Wizard of Oz. I cannot physcially bring myself to stay awake through it, no matter how much of a classic it is.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Battlefield Earth comes immediately to mind for me.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I worked for Sony Pictures Entertainment (1991-1996) at a local theater, but "The Interview" was particularly not that good from memory, and the worst part is it caused hackers to leak my personal information in the SPE hack. Don't get me wrong, my information these days is "leaked" from someone at least once or twice a year.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My problem is that if a movie strikes me as boring I stop watching it… I've even walked out on a couple of movies after the first 10 or 15 minutes because of a slow start… anyway the problem is if a movie is boring to the point of my turning it off or walking out I have so little mental or emotional investment in said movie that I can't even remember it's name! 😴

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DannyB ,

Discernment is an admirable character trait. Good for you and you’re probably better off because of it.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited April 5
    Options

I'm right there with @DannyB — if a movie doesn't capture my interest in the first 15 minutes, I won't keep watching it. I'm also having a hard time recalling any particularly horrific ones that I've walked out on.

One movie that I found pretty boring recently (and some or most of you might strongly disagree with me lol!) was Oppenheimer. I know this movie won awards and received all kinds of praise, but I only made it through about an hour before I just could not go on. Maybe I didn't let it get to the good parts yet, but even a 3-hour long movie should have captured my attention in the first hour!

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie

I did watch Oppenheimer all the way through… the hook being I actually grew up in that world! I have actual memories of the stuff portrayed in that movie. I grew up in the "shadow" of the threat of nuclear holocaust. In the 50's and 60's, we watched, in school, 35 mm movie footage of the testing of nuclear explosions from the first one depicted in the movie to the testing that had gone on since as part of our science lessons. I grew up 15 miles from downtown L.A., a prime target in a nuclear attack. In addition to fire drills, we had routine bomb drills - a long ringing of the school bells and we all got under our desks, but our heads between our knees and covered the backs of our necks with our hands. I would hear on the news casts my folks watched in the evenings, read in the headlines and articles of the news papers I delivered every day about the arms race - ever increasing yields of nuclear weapons being developed, the emplacement of missile silos, development of NORAD, deployment of nuclear subs that carried missiles with combined payloads that could obliterate whole continents all in the context of the Cold War. Godzilla was just one of myriad movies about a post nuclear holocaust world that played on our back and white TV screen. It was a wild and crazy time!

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@DannyB, it certainly sounds like a wild and crazy time! No doubt living through that would make Oppenheimer much more interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience! 😊

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yesterday I found a new one to add to the list: Dune 2021. Suffered through 45 minutes before turning it off.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.