How to include transaction date in downloads?

Options
year10k
year10k Member
edited April 10 in Using Reports

I need to download a CSV of all my transactions for 2023, but the dates in the csv are posted dates, not transaction dates. I used to do this in Mint, Quicken, MS Money and never had an issue getting transaction dates in the downloads. [removed] also shows transaction dates.

How can I include transaction dates in my CSV downloads? Hard to believe Simplifi is the only package with this problem. Transaction dates are important, how can a prominent personal finance software exclude them…

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe the reason there are no transaction dates as opposed to posted dates listed in your CSV is because of the way Quicken Simplifi handles bank accounts.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4705661-does-quicken-simplifi-have-a-running-balance-column

I can be wrong, but it is my understanding that QS doesn't work with transaction dates per se, but with posted dates as reported the banks.

If you're interested, here is my take on QS account registers: QS uses a "static" bank account register whereas other apps use a "dynamic" bank account register. By dynamic register I mean one that functions like a pen and paper register in which you record the transaction date in your check/credit card register which most often if not always is different from the date a transaction is processed by your bank and posted to your account. Back in the day of hand written checks and hard copy and signed credit slips, the difference between a transaction date and posting date could be a couple of days or more, unlike now when transactions are recorded by the bank almost in real time. As a former Quicken Classic and MS Money user, yes, the registers were what I call dynamic and I could enter the date of the transaction and then mark it cleared when the transaction posted at my banks. I don't remember now if MS Money or Quicken Classic showed both dates in the register. Personally, once I made the switch to a personal finance app (MS Money then Quicken Classic) I stopped entering transaction dates and simply went with posted dates. One of the advantages of going digital was that I no longer needed to spend an hour or two or three a month reconciling my check and credit card paper registers with the monthly bank statements. With MS Money or Quicken Classic, I could "reconcile" daily, if I desired, by simply signing into the app and letting the financial data download and update in my electronic bank registers.

Q-Simplifi doesn't provide this type of account register and thus only has available, in your dataset, the posted dates. While you can edit the registers and even add transactions as pending it is my understanding that you will still only have the posted date from the bank.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • year10k
    year10k Member
    Options

I believe the banks report both transaction dates and posted dates. Mint and Monarch both show transaction dates in the app and in the CSV download. They both get the bank data from same connections as QS. If I recall correctly, Quicken displays both transaction date and posted date received from the bank connection in the transaction register. So I believe QS has access to the transaction date in the data stream and I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere to add that data element. It makes no sense for QS to simply ignore the transaction dates in the bank data.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@year10k, thanks for posting!

I'd suggest leaving your vote and feedback on this existing request, and then following it for updates:

For now, you can manually edit your transactions to correct the date to the transaction date rather than the posted date before exporting. I personally edit my transactions to have the transaction date and don't find it unmanageable.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3348103-managing-transactions-in-quicken-simplifi#edit-a-transaction

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• year10k
    year10k Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, but manually editing transactions would be completely unmanageable. I have hundreds of transactions per week, and I would have no idea what the transaction dates are unless I reference the statements of each of 20-30 different accounts. In any case, I may need to switch to another solution due to this and some other very basic missing functionality.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@year10k are all those accounts and all those transactions for your personal finances or for business or both?

Danny
  • year10k
    year10k Member
    Options

@DannyB Both

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@year10k I have found Q-Simplifi to be an excellent personal money management app and I have and will recommend it to anyone. But I also know that QS isn't set up for using as a business accounting app. I believe @Flopbot has a small business and uses QS so perhaps he can give you some insights about how to make QS work for tracking business cash flow. Quicken Classic has a version that combines personal and business planning, tracking and accounting. I used QC for years to keep track of self-employment, W-2 employment, and rental property.

Danny

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.