Unable to add "Employee Retirement Plan - Cash Balance" Vanguard account (edited)

Options
Neubadger
Neubadger Member

Within a connected Vanguard account (as in a single username & password), I have several normal accounts that are working as expected (employer 401k, personal IRA, etc.). Also through an employer, I have what is labeled in Vanguard as "Employee Retirement Plan - Cash Balance". This account is entirely independent from the employer 401k. Where the 401k is under the category "Vanguard assets", this "Cash Balance" is under "Third-party benefits."

Since I access these accounts and balances through a single Vanguard username and password, and most of them are showing up in Simplifi as expected, how do I go about getting this "Employee Retirement Plan - Cash Balance" to show up?

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

Thanks for reaching out! Is this Employee Retirement Plan - Cash Balance you are speaking about an actual account, or is it a sub-account of another account you have? Additionally, is this a new account you re trying to add into Quicken Simplifi, or an existing account already in Quicken Simplifi?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Neubadger
    Neubadger Member
    Options

Hi Coach Jon,

1. That's a great question, but I'm not sure of the answer. I do have a 401k from the same employer, which shows up in Simplifi. They're handled separately but both considered part of retirement planning. Do you know how I determine the answer?
    2. At no point yet has this Cash Balance account appeared in Simplifi.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

Thanks for the reply. Usually, we have seen that these sub-accounts/buckets operate like a category of a main account they are attached to on the bank's website. Does this 'Employee Retirement Plan - Cash Balance' act like this for an account you have with your bank, or is it entirely separate as a Checking account would be from a Savings account?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Neubadger
    Neubadger Member
    Options

I'm pretty confident it's a separate account but don't know what I can do to change that from 95% confidence to 100% confidence.

When using the employer's laptop and connected to the employer's VPN, I can navigate to an employer internal page to see both the 401k balance and the cash balance. They are handled separately.

When on a public or any non-work computer, the internal site isn't an option, but I can log into Vanguard to see both the 401k balance and the cash balance. As shown in the image I shared, Vanguard considers the 401k to be a "Vanguard asset" and the cash balance account to be a "Third-party benefit" - presumably because the cash account is owned and managed by this employer and not by Vanguard.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

Thanks for the reply. It seems like it may be a third-party account and most likely not supported. You may create a missing FI Request if you would like. but you will need to provide the URL you use for the Account itself. If it is only accessible via a VPN like you stated it may not be supportible, however. Let us know!

Thank you,

Coach Jon

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.