Betterment account not connecting - Stuck "securing connection"

Options
Hugaluga
Hugaluga Member

I made sure to create an app password in Betterment as suggested, but I'm still getting stuck connecting. It hangs on this screen indefinitely.

I don't know if this is an issue with Simplifi, Intuit, or Betterment.

I'm using the web app on Windows for what it's worth.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Hugaluga, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

When viewing your connection attempts from our end, I'm seeing an FDP-103 error, which indicates invalid credentials. Do you ever see this error, or any other error, pop up in Quicken Simplifi when attempting to connect to Betterment?

For an FDP-103 error, you'll want to thoroughly follow these troubleshooting steps:

1. Verify the bank being selected -- There may be several different versions of the same bank in the Add Account bank list, so be sure you're selecting the correct one. If you're not sure, compare the URLs shown for each bank.
    2. Verify your login information – Type your password/PIN into a text application to ensure you don’t have any typographical errors. Then, copy and paste your login information into Quicken Simplifi to ensure accuracy.
    3. Verify your login at the bank’s website – Try to sign in to your bank’s website using the same login credentials to ensure you've not locked yourself out of the account and that the credentials are still valid.
    4. Check for an app-specific password – Some banks require users to use a specific app password when connecting to a third party. Check with your bank to see if you need to use an app-specific password.
    5. Update your credentials – Try temporarily updating your password at your bank's website and then try again to connect to Quicken Simplifi. We recommend NOT using the following special characters: & < > / \.

For step 4, since you created an App-Specific Password, is that what you're using in Quicken Simplifi? Have you tried using your regular password as well, by chance? Our support article here says (it sounds like you may have already found this, but just want to be sure):

Betterment Users: Betterment offers customers the ability to create an App-Specific Password. So, if you're experiencing trouble adding your accounts to Simplifi, please ensure you're using the correct password. To confirm whether you have an App-Specific Password, follow the below steps:

1. Sign in to the Betterment website.
    2. Go to Settings > Security.
    3. Scroll down to the section called App Passwords.
    4. Follow the steps to create an App Password for Simplifi (Quicken).
    5. Add accounts to Simplifi using the new password.

I'd also suggest trying from a different browser or in incognito/private mode in case something in your primary browser is getting stuck.

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• Hugaluga
    Hugaluga Member
    Options

Incognito window seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks for the tip!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.