Unable to contribute to Savings Goal

lindsayla18
lindsayla18 Member ✭✭
edited August 15 in Report a Bug

I'm getting this error message when I try to contribute to a Savings Goal:

"Sorry, but we were unable to make your changes"

I've been making regular contributions for a few months without any issues.

I'm using Simplifi on the web ( https://app.simplifimoney.com/ ), and just updated Simplifi so I know I'm using the latest version. My browser is Chrome (125.0.6422.114) on a Mac (MacOS 14.5)

Tagged:

Comments

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Two updates on this issue:

• I am able to add to this specific Savings Goal if I take the money from a different account (yes, my desired source account has sufficient funds).
    • This problem is only with the web version, not the iOS app.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @lindsayla18,

To troubleshoot this issue, if you haven't already done so, please try logging out of the web app and logging back in again.

If the issue persists after that, then please provide more information about what is happening. For instance, if you have more than one Savings Goal, is the issue affecting only one of them, or is it impacting all of them? What kind of Savings Goal is it (Emergency Fund, Car, etc.)? What kind of account are you taking the contribution from (Checking, Savings, etc.)? When you say the desired source account has sufficient funds, are you basing that off of the Available Balance (which takes contributions already made into account)? Are there any pending transactions for that account (for instance, a deposit that hasn't yet posted)? A screenshot of the issue, with any personal information redacted, would also be helpful.

I look forward to your reply!

-Coach Kristina

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Thanks @Coach Kristina ! Logging out of the web app and back in again solved the problem. Much appreciated!

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

@Coach Kristina This problem isn't solved after all. I just tried to make my monthly contribution to this savings goal using the web app, and received the same error message as originally reported:

"Sorry, but we were unable to make your changes"

I'm using Simplifi on the web using Chrome. I was prompted to update Simplifi first thing today, so I did that. When I received the error message I logged out and back in as I did before, but that did not resolve the issue.

Below are answers to the questions you asked when I first reported this. Thanks for any help you can provide!

For instance, if you have more than one Savings Goal, is the issue affecting only one of them, or is it impacting all of them?

This is my only savings goal.

What kind of Savings Goal is it (Emergency Fund, Car, etc.)?

It's a "Home" savings goal.

What kind of account are you taking the contribution from (Checking, Savings, etc.)?

Checking

When you say the desired source account has sufficient funds, are you basing that off of the Available Balance (which takes contributions already made into account)?

I'm trying to add $4000 to the savings goal. The available balance on my checking account is about $25000.

Are there any pending transactions for that account (for instance, a deposit that hasn't yet posted)? 

There are no pending transactions in my checking account.

A screenshot of the issue, with any personal information redacted, would also be helpful.

Two screenshots follow: the attempt to contribute to the savings goal, and what happens after I click on "contribute" (see error message at lower left)

• Coach Kristina

Thank you for the follow up,

I attempted to replicate the issue you describe, but can't get the problem to happen in my own Quicken Simplifi Web App. To test if this may be an issue with a browser setting or browser extension, could you please try using a different browser?

Please let me know how it goes!

-Coach Kristina

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Hi @Coach Kristina, thanks for the quick response! I tried this in Safari and unfortunately encountered the same error.

I tried a couple other things which might be useful in troubleshooting this:

• I created a second test home savings goal and had the same problem adding to it from my checking account.
    • I can add to the original home Savings Goal if I take the money from a savings account instead of my checking account.

Seems like the checking account might be part of the problem?

• Coach Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

It may be something specific to that account. If you use the mobile app at all, could you test to see if the issue happens on the mobile app as well?

Also, so we can further investigate this issue, please send us logs. To do so, please follow these steps:

• Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    • With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback.
    • Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Thank you!

-Coach Kristina

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Hi @Coach Kristina.

The issue does not happen on the mobile (iOS) app.

I just sent feedback as requested.

Thank you!

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@lindsayla18, thank you for testing on the Mobile App and sending your logs!

Since it sounds like you use Chrome as your primary browser, can you do one more thing for us and try contributing to the Savings Goal from your checking account in incognito mode, please? If the issue persists there, I'd say it's definitely a Web App bug specific to your dataset (and possibly the checking account). For the bug, we have a couple of options — first, if it wouldn't mess anything up for you, you can try deleting and recreating the Goal. You can use a "saved so far" amount when recreating the Goal to allow for the amount you've already saved. I'm not sure if this will fix the issue or not, but it's certainly worth a try.

However, if this messes things up in your past Spending Plans or anything along those lines, or if it doesn't work, we can submit an escalation. I'm not sure how long the escalation will take to resolve, but it sounds like you can at least use the Mobile App as a workaround in the meantime.

Let us know!

-Coach Natalie

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Hi @Coach Natalie ,

I just tried incognito mode in Chrome and had the same problem.

I'm not sure recreating the goal will help. While working on this problem with Kristina, I created a second test home savings goal and had the same problem adding to it from my checking account.

If you still think I should recreate the goal, then let me know. Otherwise I'd like to escalate. Please let me know how that works (will there be an email confirmation with ticket number? how will I be kept informed?

Thanks very much for your help.

• Coach Natalie

@lindsayla18, thank you for giving that a try and posting back!

I'm not sure that recreating the goal would work either, especially since you aren't able to contribute to a different goal from the same account. If it wasn't for that aspect you discovered when testing (thank you for narrowing this down, by the way), I'd definitely recommend deleting and recreating it. But in your case, I went ahead and just got the issue escalated! The ticket number for the escalation can be located at the bottom of this comment, but we will post back here when any updates are received.

Fingers crossed for a swift fix for you!

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-21773

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Thank you!

• Coach Natalie

@lindsayla18, a fix for this issue is expected with the 4.16.0 Web Release.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

That's great news, thank you!

• Coach Natalie

@lindsayla18, how do things go now that 4.16.0 is out? 😀

-Coach Natalie

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Hi @Coach Natalie sorry for not responding sooner, I meant to check this out over the weekend.

I just made a $50 contribution to my savings goal and it went through just fine. Although my normal monthly contribution is larger, I won't have available funds to do that until the first of the month. But the fact that it worked at all confirms the problem has been resolved. Thank you!

• Coach Natalie

@lindsayla18, woohoo!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.