Report by category

simplira
simplira Member ✭✭
edited July 5 in Using Reports

Hi,

I am looking for a way to get my transactions pivoted on categories. For example how can I see what is my income by interest and dividend per month. I am

Able to filter them by category but it does not give me the sum total by category. Is there a way to do it?

thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@simplira try this:

• Breakdown: By Payee
    • Date Range: [Select a pre-set date range or select a custom date range]
    • Filters: Categories > Personal Income > [select the income categories you want to see in the report]
    • In the Report you can select how to display the results

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    edited June 4

I tried that. And this is what I got. :( Is your solution based on bank accounts or Investment accounts?

Using Categories and not Personal income gives a better outcome. HOWEVER, not being able to search on TYPES, has left out over 20 transactions in the last 5 days since TDA became SHB.

Being forced use of Types and no option to add to list is a killer.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4

@neon45 make sure you are on the income tab.

I don't know if this will give you what you are looking for. You may have to check to make sure interest and dividend income isn't marked to be excluded from reports.

Danny
  • neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    edited June 5

All I know for sure is I wish I had Mint back.

Thought I'd try a spending report since the Investments don't really work.

I ran a Spending REPORT using 3 credit cards for last month. I only spent $588 !!! And, if I include all categories, my bank and credit cards I end up with $78. !!!!

Pretty much useless, and if I'm doing it wrong it's a poorly programed feature.

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭

Thanks DannyB,

Appreciate your efforts, but, as you can see, I used Net Income for that example. I also used Income for another try.

I am looking for what simplira was looking for. I want to know how much I have made in Dividends, Interest, etc, in the last month, year to date.

I tried the Report you suggested.

Thanks… appreciate the replies.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

how are you entering credit card payments, are you using the linked transfers category? That might explain it if you are not.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5

Indeed, with the exception of "Payment/Income" "Action" types, by default QS will exclude all other investment Actions. However, this is how you can bring investment dividend and interest income into your Income report.

• Hover over the menu on left of screen and select Investments
    • Click on the "Transactions" tab
    • Changed "Action" from "Income Dividend" to "Payment/Deposit"
    • Changed "Description/Category" to "Personal Income" > "Dividend Income"
    • Clicked on the 3-dot menu and selected View Transaction
    • In the Transaction Detail window deselected "Exclude from reports"
    • Clicked "Update"

Now on the Reports > Income tab you can Breakdown by Category, select date range and Filter for Category>Personal Income>Dividend Income.

You should be able to follow the same process for any interest income in your investment accounts with the same results.

I opened one of my connected investment accounts and searched the transactions for "Income Dividend" which brought up all my dividend transactions. I clicked the select box for several of these transactions and clicked on the edit icon to see about doing a batch "Action" change, but "Action" is not in the list of editable fields.

Danny
  • neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭

Hello Danny,

The recommendation; "Changed "Action" from "Income Dividend" to "Payment/Deposit"" is what I have done, and commented on in an earlier discussion.

The problem comes when Ordinary dividends, Qualified dividends, CD interest, T bill interest and money market interest is payed. I have to change 100 Incomes to Payments. That, is not something I look forward to. This whole mess is a result of TDA being bought out by Schwab and the 2 different reporting headers. 😫

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes! I started way back with Scottrade who was gobbled up by TDA who was gobbled up by Charles Schwab!

I only track my grandkids’ custodial accounts in Quicken Simplifi which are relatively small investment accounts and the number of transactions per month are low. I don’t bother with tracking in QS the dividend or interest in these accounts since there is no income impact on me.

My major investments accounts are manual for net worth purposes only. Those are managed by our financial advisors and held at Pershing and the only income I want to track on those accounts is our monthly draw.

If I was an active trader and tracking investment income, I wouldn’t use QS since it’s not primarily set up for that type of accounting. I do use my advisors dashboard which does an excellent job of keeping track of all our accounts but it’s budget feature is very basic and thus QS!

Danny
  • neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭

Thanks Danny,

Yeah, I started with Scottrade as well. Got into Mint about TDA time. Agreed, this isn't the place to track investments, but, it was the best of the evils when Mint folded up shop.

It's sad that we can't search on a silly date range or sort / modify the Type transactions. Makes no sense. And not being able to save a list of Categories for a Report that you would do every month. And I just noticed the report pulls up my home & car insurance in the monthly report twice. :(

Not a thrilled puppy, but stuck for now. Thanks for the help.

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure what the Transfer Category is, but my Bank account categorizes payments to my credit card companies by the Credit Card name.

In my credit card statements the payment from my bank is categorized by the Bank Name.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Bank name is likely a subcategory of transfer category... so that much is right

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.