Investment Quotes Updates

John Wells
John Wells Member
edited July 11 in Investments

Investment quotes appear to update at 11:59 pm nightly. It is June 4th and mine shows "Quotes updated May 31, 2024 • 11:59 PM EDT." As an investor I really need closer to market close quotes each day.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@John Wells , thanks for reaching out!

I checked my Investments section in Quicken Simplifi and it shows Quotes updated on 6/4 at 11:46 AM —

Have you tried signing out and back into Quicken Simplifi or anything along those lines? If not, I'd definitely suggest giving that a try. If the issue persists, please let us know whether you're using the Quicken Simplifi Web App or Mobile App.

-Coach Natalie

• Thanks Natalie! I have signed out and back in on both the Web and Mobile apps. I'm still showing last quotes update of 11:59 pm 5/31. Strangely, my balance is correct, but not in agreement with my holdings total. Individual mutual funds show the 5/31 update.

• Coach Natalie

@John Wells , thanks for giving that a try and posting back!

To add some insight, the balance in the Accounts List for connected investment accounts is provided by the bank, but the balance (aka Market Value) in the Portfolio is based on your Holdings with the current market data.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5167335-how-do-my-investment-balances-update

With that, are you seeing a correct balance in the Accounts List and/or in the Portfolio? I'd imagine that your Portfolio value would be outdated at the last time Quotes were received, but I want to be certain of what you're seeing. Can you narrow the issue down to a specific bank/holdings, or are you just going off of the "Quotes updated" text?

I checked my Quotes again and they show updated 6/5 at 10:36 AM, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours. Can you try from a different browser or in incognito just to make sure it's not a browser issue or anything along those lines, please? Also, have you tried clicking the manual refresh button for Quotes?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

-Coach Natalie

• https://community.simplifimoney.com/profile/Coach%20Natalie ,

"the Accounts List for connected investment accounts is provided by the bank, but the balance (aka Market Value) in the Portfolio is based on your Holdings with the current market data." I figured that's what is happening. I'm a retired IT professional and have been using Quicken Desktop since the Microsoft DOS days, connecting with a 1200 baud modem via home phone line - 1990ish!

My current update is "Quotes updated Jun 03, 2024 • 11:59 PM EDT" which I received yesterday afternoon. The accounts list agrees with the "Balances" in the Investments tab. The "Portfolio" value differs and neither are correct.

My institutions are Fidelity (Brokerage, 401, and IRA accounts), and 401 with Edward Jones. The brokerage account had a buy transaction yesterday that is not showing up. The other account balances are correct. The brokerage balance will probably be correct when I get a June 5 quote update.

I was wondering about the manual refresh button for Quotes. It acts like an active button (mouse over and press shows the push effect) but it does nothing. I tried two different browsers, Edge and Chrome (regular and incognito). They are all the same. I also get the same numbers in the same places on the Android Simplifi app.

• Coach Natalie

@John Wells , thanks for the reply!

It sounds like you have multiple issues going on that may be related, but may not. The Investments: Balances feature will match the balance history from the Accounts List so we won't want to focus on that — we want to look at the balance in the Accounts List and the balance in the Portfolio since these are derived from two different factors. When you say "neither are correct", what are you referring to specifically, and how so?

Perhaps by providing specific examples such as the Accounts List balance for each individual account, the Portfolio Value for each individual account, the balance for each of those accounts as displayed on the bank's websites, and what bank each account belongs to, we can get a clearer outline of what's going on. At this point, I'm not sure if the issue is due to online banking or outdated Investment Quotes. If you have incorrect Holdings/incorrect Holdings Values/incorrect or missing Investment Transactions, please also provide that data for the specific account/bank it's occurring with.

Much appreciated!

-Coach Natalie

• When there is no investment transaction activity for 48 hours, Fidelity and Edward Jones accounts and investments, as well as total investment values are all correct. It is an updates timing issue, primarily with Fidelity. As I have read in other Fidelity focused threads that there seems to be an ongoing issue working out the details between your developers and Fidelity's regarding updates frequency and timing. I also have a current subscription for Quicken Classic Deluxe and was offered to try Simplifi concurrently until my subscription is up. At this point, while there are some features I like about Simplify, I'm leaning toward sticking with (renewing) Quicken Classic Deluxe. I have until Oct 10th so I will patiently see if what I'm experiencing clears.

• Coach Natalie
    edited June 7

@John Wells , ahh, yes, the delay with Fidelity is to be expected and is outlined in our support article here: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api#h_e0eec49ace

I'm not sure if/when we'll see a fix for that particular issue, but it is known. Do you not experience the delay with Fidelity in Quicken Classic? I'm curious. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• No delay. In the desktop app AND Android app I can get market close price and valuation changes between 5:35 and 5:45 pm for that day's market close.

• You would think that the Quicken / Fidelity software engineers could implement the same functionality with both Classic and Simplifi?

• Coach Natalie
    edited June 10

@John Wells , thanks for posting back!

Again, I'm not sure that I'm following the issue. If you are experiencing delays in Fidelity data downloading, such as changes in your Holdings or Investment Transactions, this is to be expected with the OAuth API we use to connect. Otherwise, your investment data is updated as outlined in this article: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5167335-how-do-my-investment-balances-update

Back to the original issue you outlined here — are you still not receiving Quotes in a timely manner? And as far as using the same functionality for Fidelity with Quicken Classic and Quicken Simplifi, I wouldn't have any additional insight on this, nor am I aware that that's not currently the case. Have you tried contacting Fidelity's online banking department as recommended in our support article?

-Coach Natalie

• By "quotes" if you mean mutual fund end of day closing share prices providing fund and net worth amounts, I did get yesterday's late this morning. I didn't get Friday's closing share prices, fund, and networth until Sunday afternoon. As I said above, with the Classic Android and Windows desktop apps I get them about 5:40 PM after the 4 PM market close. I know Simplifi is designed more for the budgeter than the investor (saw that in the app discription somewhere). I will continue to monitor Simplifi up to my Oct 10th Classic subscription renewal date and make a decision which to go with then. Thank you for your time and help. Greatly appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.