Planned Spending Expense Series - Allow $0.00 Amount

molehill6804
molehill6804 Member
edited June 13 in Feature Requests

In a recent application update [removed - accuracy], the Spending Plan Planned Spending had a new constraint added to the Expense Category Amount to require an amount greater than $0.00. This constraint was not previously in place, and I was able to create expense categories with a $0.00 planned amount.

Given the way that my wife and I like to track our spending with Planned Spending along with Watchlists, this works quite well for us, and we were happy with the functionality.

Given this recent update, we are no longer able to use Simplifi in this manner, and we're required to put $0.01 or greater for each expense category that we wish to track.

I would like to request that this constraint be reverted to the previous functionality / feature to once again allow for $0.00 Expense Category amounts.

7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @molehill6804,

Thanks for your feedback! We went ahead and turned your post into an idea post, allowing other users to vote for and follow this post for updates if they feel like this is something they would also like to see in Quicken Simplifi.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @molehill6804

Can you give an example of an expense that you set $0.00 as the planned amount for spending? I'm curious about how you were using planned spending categories with the amount set to $0.00.

Thanks.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • lfcitz
    lfcitz Member

Totally agree with this. I have bills that come in quarterly or every other month. It's useful for me to see it lurking there as a reminder that a bill will be coming in the next month or two.

• donnajean
    donnajean Member

I totally agree with having the ability to NOT require an amount greater than $0.00 for the expense category amount. I wish to include all my categories in the spending plan so I don’t forget to budget for something. Ie. if I see my ‘Gifts’ category I can decide whether or not I need money for any gifts this month, as sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. If I can review/see all my available categories at the beginning of each month my budget will be much more accurate!

• I agree with this. Being able to set a category amount to $0 is a significant aspect of my budgeting strategy.

• Humanleg86
    Humanleg86 Member ✭✭

I'd like to be able to create a 0.00 dollar recurring planned expense item. I'd much rather see 'other' spending as an overage in the planned spending space.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @Humanleg86,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your feedback! Since there is already an existing Idea post asking for the same functionality, I merged your idea with the existing one.

Thank you!

-Coach Kristina