Donation not appearing in Planned Spending.

cjst95
cjst95 Member
edited July 24 in Troubleshooting

Hi,

Newby here. I have a recurring expense for a charitable donation categorized correctly. It appears in the dashboard as part of the total for the category. It does not appear in the planned spending Expense. I can't figure out how to "link" it. I do not have the boxes checked in the series for "leave out of the plan" or "leave out of reports". Ive signed in and out. I've waited a day. I've deleted the planned spending expense and re-entered it.

Is this a common problem? The other donation i have this month has shown up correctly in the planned spending expense bucket for the budget.

Thanks for any assistance!

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @cjst95,

Thanks for reaching out! To better assist us with your situation going forward, can you supply a screenshot showing the Planned Spending card you created as well as the transaction that is not being recognized/linking correctly?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@cjst95

If an expense is set up as a recurring bill/subscription it will not also be counted in Planned Spending. This is by design so as to avoid double counting expenses.

For example: Let's say I have three charities I contribute to every month. I set these transactions up as recurring "subscriptions" so that they appear in my Spending Plan in the Income after bills & saving section in the Subscriptions drop down list.

However, I still have a portion of my monthly income that I designate for charitable giving for miscellaneous charitable donations. This money is given "randomly" to a variety of causes and to account for it in my Spending Plan, I also set up a Planned Spending bucket to keep track of this money.

Now when one of my neighbors signs up to do a fundraiser walk-a-thon to raise money for cancer research and asks me to make a donation, I happily write a check for this cause and when that check is cleared at my bank and the transaction is downloaded into Quicken Simplifi, I categorize it as "Charitable Giving" and since it is a one-time gift it will be accounted for in my Planned Spending bucket in Simplifi.

All of these transactions are categorized as Charitable Giving but, in my Spending Plan, the recurring donations will be accounted for in my recurring subscriptions list and the one-time donation will be accounted for in the Planned Spending bucket.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • cjst95
    cjst95 Member

Thanks for that explanation! I'll go back in and make some adjustments. Appreciate your brain today.

CJ

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@cjst95

You’re in great hands with @DannyB ! One additional thing to consider, if your just looking for a way to keep an eye on your giving or maybe determine percentage of income, then you could also create a Watchlist which doesn’t have the same limitations with double counting I know what just happened to you confused me as well at first, and for the exact same reason. This was my workaround.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

YES... I also have a Watchlist that tracks the total of all charitable giving. And you can see all charitable giving in Reports.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.