GM Financial Double MFA Code Issue

rpesta
rpesta Member
edited August 8 in Report a Bug

This has been an issue for a while, but when I login to Simplifi, GM Financial sends me a 2FA code. The bug/issue is, it should prompt me to enter that code, but instead prompts me to send an email for a second code. So the first code is useless because I cannot enter it I have to send another code through Simplifi to input anything.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @rpesta,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. Has it always behaved that way since you connected the account in your Quicken Simplifi? If not, do you recall when the behavior changed? Have there been any changes to the financial institution's website and/or security policies?

If you haven't done so already, I recommend checking your multi-factor authentication settings on the financial institution's website to verify everything is correct/current.

If possible, please provide screenshots of the multi-factor authentication prompts you are seeing in Quicken Simplifi, making sure to redact any personal information.

I look forward to your reply!

-Coach Kristina

• rpesta
    rpesta Member

@Coach Kristina Correct, it's always worked this way, I've just ignore it for the last 7 months (since I moving from Mint to Simplifi). Searching through the forums, it doesn't look like anyone has submitted a bug report for this, so I did.

I am an IT Systems Engineer and can provide whatever relevant technical context you need. The issue appears to be on the Simplifi side when logging in. Upon login, it must be sending a request to GM, and GM then sends me a 2FA code. This part is expected behavior. Where I believe it's a bug is that Simplifi prompts me to send another 2FA code, after I had just received one. A very trivial but cumbersome process requiring additional user steps.

Current process:

• Login
    • 2FA is received.
    • User action required to sent another 2FA code.
    • 2FA is received.
    • Enter 2FA code.

Ideal process:

• Login
    • 2FA is received.
    • Enter 2FA code.

I've attached the modal that is provided when I login. To reiterate, this prompt is AFTER I've already received a 2FA code after initially logging in. This can be reproduced very easily, every day.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @rpesta,

Thank you for the information! MFA information and requests are controlled by the financial institution, and not by Quicken Simplifi. This secondary prompt does seem to be coming from the bank in this case. Have you reached out to the bank to verify why they might be sending two MFA prompts or to verify if they are aware of this issue? Let us know!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• rpesta
    rpesta Member

@Coach Jon Of course I don't have visibility into what this workflow looks like on the backend, but when I login to Simplifi, it must initiate a connection to GM, who then provides me a TOTP code via email. Once that initial request is sent at login, and Simplifi (on the backend) receives a successful web request response provided from GM, shouldn't that be on Simplifi to change the modal from "request another code" to "enter code"? I'm of the opinion that this is an issue on the Simplifi side. The problem isn't that I'm receiving double MFA codes. The problem is that I'm forced to receive two MFA codes because the initial modal Simplifi presents me at login is a step behind where it should be in the MFA auth process. I hope that makes sense. Simplifi is making me repeat the "send MFA" step when it shouldn't, because it already initiated that process with GM.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @rpesta,

Thanks for the reply! I can definitely see where you are coming from, but as I stated before Quicken Simplifi does not control any MFA information/requests. That falls on the financial institution's side. I would still recommend contacting the FI in this case to verify they are not already aware of this issue and see if they would know how to resolve it.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

This discussion has been closed.