USAA accounts constantly asks to re-authenticate

SierraQ
SierraQ Member
edited September 2 in Adding and Updating Accounts

Recently my USAA accounts constantly ask to re-authenticate. I have read that USAA might have switched to a new connection mechanism this past may, and the advice for Quicken is to simply reconnect and you should be good for at least a couple of months. But that does not seem to be case for Simplifi. I re-authorize, the transactions download, and then it immediately wants to re-authorize again.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @SierraQ,

Thanks for reaching out! This sounds like a new token may need to be generated for the OAuth connection to your bank.

1. Navigate to the bank's website, sign in, and then remove Quicken's access from the bank's third-party linked apps.
    2. Navigate back to Quicken Simplifi and reset the connection for the bank by following the steps here.
    3. Carefully link the account(s) found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account(s) by following the steps here.

Let us know if this works for you!

-Coach Jon

• SierraQ
    SierraQ Member
    edited August 2

I followed your suggestion and it seems to work! Thanks! Along the way I think I know what happened so I put this out there for anyone else who might be seeing a similar issue.

There was a savings account attached to this connection that had been idle for a year and when that happens USAA flags it as inactive and causes problems in other Quicken products as noted in this thread. The one year mark happened about the time I started having problems. When I reset the whole connection the inactive account now appears as "disconnected" in Simplifi and no longer appears in the link dialog—this seems correct given whatever USAA does to it. So I believe the old connection kept trying to access the idle account but could not, therefore triggering the re-authorization each time.

With the reset, the idle account is is no longer part of the link, and the active accounts are working as expected. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.