Disappearing transaction after savings goal contribution

tobyN
tobyN Member ✭✭✭
edited August 26 in Report a Bug
  1. Downloaded an ATM transaction from Chase bank for $1000. It's in the Pending area of the transaction activity.
  2. A few minutes later, I go to the Savings Goals page and contribute an unrelated $1000 to one of my goals.
  3. I return to the transaction activity screen and the ATM transaction from step 1 is nowhere to be found. I think Simplifi is getting confused with something about the goal contribution and the transaction being the same amount, even though they are unrelated. I could maybe confirm except for the fact that Simplifi decided to not keep a visible transaction register for savings goals.

I'm guessing the ATM transaction will pop back in there tomorrow or the next. Maybe when the bank takes it from Pending to Cleared. But these kind of bugs are far too common and cause lots of confusion. Especially when you have multiple transactions with the same amounts. Disappearing transactions, duplicate transactions, updating transactions that change the category or notes that I set after they initially download.

I'm regretting my decision to move to Simplifi from Classic Quicken….

Quicken since 1995. Simplifi since 2023.

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Typically, Savings Goal Contributions have no effect on transactions. They only affect 'available balance' after 'savings goal contributions'. I think something else is going on, can't say what happened. Hopefully someone else has a better idea than I do what might have happened.

I also bank with Chase, I know outside of banking hours (early morning, late evenings, weekends, holidays) it downloads updated balances but will not download new transactions. I wonder if that has something to do with what's going on, depending on when you accessed it. You posted at 11:27pm ET according to my e-mail alert, which may be beyond where chase downloads transactions.

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@RobWilk I'm impressed with your use of effect (noun) and affect (verb).

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (iMac) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• tobyN
    tobyN Member ✭✭✭

As predicted, it popped back in back in this morning in the "cleared" section. Unfortunately it also reverted the Payee, Category, and Notes, all which I had edited. But I see that all the time and expect it now. It seems the rule of thumb for me is to not do anything with a transaction until it is in there a day or two and has moved itself to the cleared section. Simplifi needs to fix the software so that it can better keep track and changes to the transaction with reverting your info when the transaction is updated again by a download. I need to be able to do my banking transaction management as they happen, not on a delayed time line. That just leads to errors. I should not have to have a notepad on hand to keep track of things I need to do after a transaction clears.

Yes, I know that Savings Goal transactions are not supposed to be associated with banking transactions, but that seems suspiciously like what happened in this case. Maybe not, but if the amounts would not have been the same, I bet this would not have happened.

Quicken since 1995. Simplifi since 2023.

This discussion has been closed.