Transactions Detail Notes

jimclay75051
jimclay75051 Member
edited September 16 in Feedback

There's only one thing about Simplify that I dislike and find frustrating. When I go to notate what a transactions is for, I only have the small note box. Why can't it expand to fit the size of the note.

I subscribed to Simplify simply to help me keep up with my spending. Basically spending awareness. I don't really do a budget. As part of my spending awareness, I go through all my transactions, with exceptions of groceries and gas and recuring items, and copy the discription from where I bought it into the note box. I buy a great deal from Amazon so this is very easy to do.

Once every month or so, I simply go down the list of what I've bought at Amazon and past the discription into that not box.

It's frustrating that I can't see what I pasted into that very small note box.

Also, enabling that box to make it expandable is very easy from a programming stances. You just need to tell someone to go and do it. I reconginze I'm probably one of the very few who finds this small note box frustrating, but it would be so easy to make it expandable.

Anyway, thanks for the rant. I'm finish. I feel a bit better, but I still feel frustrated. I suppose since this is only one of the very few things I've ever felt the need to rant over I suppose I'm a pretty lucky person. But really such a small note box is silly.

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you working on mobile or the web?

I happened to just notice that the web 'notes' field expands as you press enter.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimclay75051 ,

At first, I too used the notes field extensively. With time however, I found that it worked better for me to just make my Category List much more specific. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

• Home Maint. & Housing
      • Gardening - Cages, Nets, Fencing, Pots, Stakes, Wood, etc.
      • Gardening - Tools, Hoses, etc.
      • Gardening - Plants, Seeds, etc.
      • Gardening - Potting Soil, Soil Amendment, etc.
      • Gardening - Tiller Rental, Sod Cutters, etc.
      • Gardening - Work Gloves, etc.
      • Home Decor - Candles, Flowers, etc.
      • Home Decor - Furniture Reupholstery, Protection, etc.
      • Home Decor - Lamps, Lampshades, etc.
      • Home Decor - Pretty Stuff, etc.
      • Home Decor - Pretty Stuff, etc. (Christmas)
      • Home Decor - Rugs, Mats, Curtains, etc.
      • Home Decor - Sheets, Pillows, Blankets, etc.

Positives: I can run super detailed reports and I spend far less time trying to remember how I categorized something in the past.

Negatives: It does takes awhile to think through the majority of your potential spending and I do find myself tweaking categories more often than I'd like. Also, you end up using splits more often which in my mind is a neutral thing.

For me, my Database Administrator / OCD side likes the extreme organization. Maybe something for you to consider to since you mentioned disliking that small notes field.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.