How do I include CC payments in spending plan? aka budgeting CC payments

Options
Mrlinch
Mrlinch Member
edited November 2022 in Using the Spending Plan
So I am working from a deficit (aka existing CC balances). Each month, I look at each CC's minimum due and statement balance and make a determination on how much I want to pay that month. 

Example:
CC1 (existing debt to payoff) - $5000 balance, $300 minimum
CC2 (daily spender) - $2450 balance, $150 minimum

I would budget $300 for CC1 (no extra income to add to debt this month) and $2450 to CC2 to keep interest accrual at 0. 

In YNAB, this was easy, because it tracked how much went to CCs automatically, then you could budget extra on top of this.

I don't see any way to do this with the current spending plan. The CCs are not available as a category to add to in "Planned Spending" (aka Budgeted).
Tagged:

Best Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Mrlinch,

First here are a couple of articles that will help with understanding how credit cards are handled in Simplifi.
    1. How Are Credit Card Payments Handled in the Spending Plan
    2. How Do Transfers Work
    Using your example, for CC1, if you are not actively making charges to this CC you can set it up as a recurring bill for the minimum due and make sure to unselect "Ignore form Spending Plan."  Since the minimum due will change each month as you paydown the balance , you could use Bill Connect to have the monthly payment updated in your spending plan when your statement becomes available (if that CC company allows Bill Connect). You can always adjust how much that payment is going to be for a given month when you know whether or not you will have extra to put towards paying it off.  Again, if you want a set amount of your monthly available funds to go to this CC you can make it a recurring bill that is included in your Spending Plan and will be deducted from your anticipated income for the month.

For CC2, it sounds like you pay that one off every month.  That's what I do with the 3 CCs I use for our personal spending. As the above articles point out, Simplifi treats payment to CCs as transfers between bank accounts and will not by default include them in your monthly spending plan unless you choose to have them included by deselecting "Ignore from spending plan."  I suspect this is true of YNAB but it sounds like they have a way of keeping track of how much you will need in order to pay off the CC by the due date.

It's been awhile since I used Y*** and I only used it for a few months at that, but I beleive one of the main differences between the two is that YNAB works with income AFTER you receive it and Simplifi works with money you ANTICIPATE receiving in the current month and future months.  Another difference is the "give every dollar a job" rule in Y***.  Simplifi is a little more relaxed along those lines.

Just so you know, your CC balances as currently being reported by your CC companies are always available for you in the Accounts list that is always visible in the Dashboard and viewable in the Transactions view by using the the small arrow at the top of the page to view or hide the Accounts list.

For what it's worth, here is what I do.  I basically treat my CCs as an extension of my checking accounts and when the time comes to "balance" (i.e. payoff) one of our CCs I make a transfer from checking to the CC.  Since EVERYTHING charged to our CCs has been already categorized, incorporated into and accounted for in our Spending Plan, this transfer has no impact on the spending plan.  It is simply moving money from one account to another to cover already accounted for spending.  We charge a significant amount of our monthly spending to one or another of our CCs to benefit from the various rewards and cash back offers and we pay off all CCs every month.  This is not a problem since our spending has been planned for based on our income for a given month and we don't spend anything we haven't already covered in our Spending Plan including money in various Savings Goals or we may dip into the "Available" sometimes found at the bottom of the Spending Plan view.

Two of our CCs are set up to pay the full balance when due since what we charge to them is less then a couple hundred a month.  The third CC is the one we use the most and I make a payment every couple of weeks to bring the balance "current."  Again, these payments are ignored in our spending plan since this is simply a matter of moving money between accounts and not new spending.

This is a lot and I'm not sure it answers your question as well as it could be answered.  Before too long you will hear from one of the Coaches with more accurate information and insights as well perhaps from other community members as to how they handle CCs.

Hope this helps some.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @Mrlinch,

Thanks for posting your inquiry regarding credit card payments to the Community!

@DannyB provided a great explanation above. To reiterate, we would recommend setting your credit card payments up as Recurring Transactions as opposed to using Planned Spending. Also, as mentioned above, if you're already tracking the spending that takes place in the credit card accounts and it's already being counted in the Spending Plan, you'd typically want to ignore the credit card payments from the Spending Plan since this is just a transfer of money. 

However, if you're looking to pay down credit card debt and want to budget for this in the Spending Plan, you can always elect to include the credit card payments in the Spending Plan instead. Just keep in mind that you only want to count your credit card spending in the Spending Plan once. If you'd rather use the credit card payments themselves as the expenses to track in the Spending Plan, you can elect to ignore the individual transactions that take place in the credit card accounts instead. This may be a better option if you're budgeting extra for the actual credit card payments for debt reduction purposes, however, you'd be missing out on tracking individual spending by taking this route.

You may find more details on using the Recurring Transaction feature outlined in our Support Article here. Let us know if you have any questions for us!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Mrlinch,

I'll keep my reply short since @DannyBand @Coach Natalie gave you such great feedback above.

I was never able to figure out YNAB so I don't know of the functionality your referring to in YNAB...I tried using it a couple times and it just didn't sync with my thinking for some reason.

Here's a post explaining how I set up my CC's (click here) starting in April 2022.  I've been using this method for awhile now (~8 months) and it still seems to be working well for me.  This method does give you the flexibility to enter whatever amount you decide to put towards the CC payment in any particular month.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.