Rollover unused Spending Plan money [edited] (10 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11
    Options

You've mentioned that the team is working on this item, do you have a link to that? I'm curious if there was an official announcement anywhere. Thanks!

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's at the top of this thread.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nice, thanks!

• XLR8R
    Options

Many expenses are not reset monthly in real life, and some expenses are only incurred once every few months. Please add the ability to rollover unused/over spending on the monthly spending plan. Please also add the ability to reset the rollover to zero. This is my biggest issue with using Simplify. I may need to switch to a different app if this feature is not implemented soon.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

give the Spending Plan a try and set up Bills and Subscriptions and it now easier to have non monthly recurrences. I used to rollover in Mint, but after learning how to use the Plan's Bills (must have's), Subscriptions (things I like to have) and Saving Goals, this to me is much better than the way Mint did it. @XLR8R I do think Simplifi could add rollovers as many people budget in that fashion. I'm not sure I would use rollovers or not.

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea fully agree that the bills and subscriptions are superior to how Mint handled known, regular, nonmonthly items like property taxes. Which seems to be the kind of example a lot of people use for needing rollovers. But for me, and I'm sure many others, the real need for rollovers are for other areas where spending can be very irregular. Like I'm not stopping at the gas station on the last day of the month to top off just because thats when my financial tool has a cutoff date. So I could spend $50 this month and $100 next month due to when I randomly had a low tank, which is perfectly fine when trying to budget for $75 a month.

Other more sporadic things, like furnishings, vacations, etc I would actually prefer a "annual spending plan" to sit alongside the monthly one, but I'd use rollover in the meantime since that suggested idea hasn't been picked up yet and its better than any of the other existing options for tracking an annual limit.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • JoeMo
    JoeMo Member
    Options

Groceries is the #1 use case for my family - using the rollover feature, we'll make the continuous choice to be "lean" a few months (pun intended) in order to prep for a case sale or a knowingly expensive Costco run. Another use case is for Mint Mobile users who have annual plans. Yes, perhaps setting that as an annual recurring bill is one way to do it and ex-Minters like myself should adjust, but rolling budgets to "set aside" funds every month in preparation for that expense is helpful psychologically.

Looking forward to this feature being implemented.

• rkblower1
    rkblower1 Member
    edited March 3
    Options

I have sinking funds, money I save every month for things that happen regularly but not monthly or yearly. For example if I don’t have any car repairs this month I have to delete current savings goal and reset with goal for following month putting in what I have currently on hand. If there was a roll over function it would really be helpful both for sinking funds and for utilities type bills that are monthly but cost varies. It is the only thing I miss from Mint #rollover #sinkingfunds

Other than that I love this app.

[Merged Post]

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options

This request is already in progress. It will likely be done this year per prior posts.

[Merged Post]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options

@rkblower1

You don’t need to delete and recreate your auto repair savings each month. Instead create the goal with the amount you want to have available and make a monthly contribution to reach that amount. Once you meet the amount you want available the goal will be marked completed and the funds will be available to use when needed.

Roll over for Planned Spending is in the works.

[Merged Post]

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • RBiscuit555
    RBiscuit555 Member
    Options

I’m am a new user for Quicken Simplifi, and the rollover or sinking fun is a deal breaker for me. I probably would have not purchased this subscription if I knew this feature was not available. However, I’m willing to renew next year if this feature is implemented. The developers can always make the feature an option if others don’t want it.

• RBiscuit555
    RBiscuit555 Member
    Options

This feature (rollovers/sinking funds) is an absolute deal breaker. I’m a new user and am eager for the release of this feature. Where can I go to see updates? This has been “in progress” since November. Can I help test a beta or something? Thanks in advance.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can turn on Early Access under settings. This feature might become available to early access users before others.

Anthony Bopp

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

From today's release notes: "ADDED: Rollover for Planned Spending (Early Access; not yet enabled)."

Here are the notes, feature will hopefully be enabled soon.

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am very interested to see how the new rollover feature functions once it is enabled. If it's done right, I can see it being a very useful tool. I might use the spending plan as more than a "did i spend more than i planned total" this month kind of tool, maybe I'll be able to plan ahead. Until I see it, I won't know whether I'll be able to benefit from it, or will potentially want to make requests for adjustments. Here's an example, let's say I want to rollover about $100/month for the 'car repairs bucket', but then the car goes 2 years without needing maintenance, can I then suspend additions to that 'bucket' until some is used? I know this almost sounds like a savings goal kind of thing, but the lines between savings goal and rolled-over budget are unclear to me just yet.

Rob Wilkens

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

one feature that Mint had in rollovers was that you can "reset" them at any time and that was whether you had extra funds or overspent. Suspending could also be a nice way to make adjustments.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One approach that might help is if rollover is optional on a month by month basis, where instead of releasing unused funds, you could choose to roll them over to the next month.

I like that idea!

• RBiscuit555
    RBiscuit555 Member
    Options

I am so glad to see rollovers have been "added" to the list of features. Now, I wonder when it will be enabled? I am looking forward to trying it out!

• Jerrod
    Jerrod Member
    Options

I guess I don't get why you wouldn't just use a savings goal for this. I never understood the desire for rollover funds. It wasn't helpful to me when I used them on Mint because a rollover amount in a specific category doesn't represent real dollars that have been saved somewhere.

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sure it differs for everyone, but here are some of my reasons:

1. Savings goals require a series of manual efforts. I'm all about having tools that do work for me, not tools that I have to do extra work in. Properly implemented rollovers can be automatic.
    2. Savings goals don't apply to all use cases. Groceries for example. I'm not running to the store on the last day of every month to top off my food just because I have $27 left in my budget that I don't want to lose. But if I am budgeting $500 a month and I spend $473 this month and $527 next month I hit my goal. Rollovers let me do this. Savings goals do not. The existing Spending Plan would tell me I overspent in month 2, which I did not.
    3. Savings goals result in a bunch of transactions that never actually happened being entered. I did not actually transfer $500 into my vacation fund this month.
    4. I am not in a financial place where I am necessarily "saving up" for some of these expenses. I already have savings. I can just as easily spend $6000 from my existing savings accounts on vacation in January and then replenish my savings throughout the year as I can not spend that money all year long and spend it in December. As long as the annual total comes out to where I want it to be. I want to budget annually instead of monthly for some periodic expenses, which is different from saving first and spending later. Rollovers do that better than savings goals.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Wedo778 This is an ongoing debate about the use of rollover funds.

Here's my thoughts (not arguments, just thoughts) on your reasons.

1. Yes, savings goals as currently set up in Simplifi require extras steps. But this is not a bad thing since it also a.) makes using a savings goal a conscious decision, and b.) allows for flexibility in level of contribution to a savings goal. Automation is helpful but not always best practice. For example, having auto renewed subscriptions can lead to substantial budget leakage.
    2. I wouldn't think of using a savings goal for monthly recurring expenses like groceries either. Doesn't make sense. For your auto repair fund, yes, for groceries, no. But the issue you raise here isn't about "saving up" as you point out. It's about budgeting for certain recurring expenses and then spending within that budgeted amount. Yes, you may underspend in one month and overspend in another, but by rolling over "unspent" funds from and underspent month into the following month may or may not cover overspending in the following month or will further increase what is available over coming months in the rollover category. By the same token, rolling over "overspent" negative amount into the following month will reduce what you have planned for spending on groceries in the new current month making it more likely you will overspend again. By setting and sticking to a budgeted amount monthly you can gauge whether or not your monthly budget reflects reality month-to-month. If I consistently overspend (or underspend) then I need to make adjustments to my planned spending for that category rather than hope I have enough left over from another month to cover overspending.
    3. Yes and No on this one. Indeed, SG contributions are an internal bookkeeping feature within Simplifi with no real-world impact per se, so, yes, these "transactions… never actually happen…." On the other hand, savings goal contributions are not real-world transactions but are instead, once again, an internal bookkeeping function only and so, no, contributions to SGs don't create transactions that never actually happen.
    4. You can indeed spend SG savings on a rolling basis. No need to wait until the goal is completely funded. Using your example, I actually do budget $6000/year for travel which breaks down to $500/month. But I do this traveling throughout the year and when I do travel, I use the funds from my travel SG to cover those expenses. If for some reason I zero out that SG, I don't do any traveling until my Travel fund has recovered via my monthly contributions. If for some reason I don't have enough funds available in a given month to contribute in full or in part, I simply adjust the monthly contribution amount accordingly.

I have no idea how the new roll over feature will work (I am certain that when it is released there will be no shortage of complaints about how it is implemented🤣) and I have a couple of ideas of how I want to use rollover -or at least to try it out on, so I'm looking forward to it's release.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DannyB Yea I can appreciate why savings goals work for some people. And its not like I want to take them away from anyone. But my overarching philosophy is that giving people options is great, forcing people to do things a certain way or take manual steps because "the designer knows best" is poor design.

Agreed there will probably be complaints, because we all have our ideal in our heads as to exactly what we want it to do and its sure to miss our imaginations in some way. But there is also nothing wrong with requesting additional changes to enhancements that are implemented.

Specifically responding to the groceries example, sure there is the possibility that someone uses rollovers poorly and gets into these situations. But that sounds more like they are either budgeting improperly in the first place or using a rollover as an excuse to ignore their budget. It can be much simpler. Maybe I get groceries every Saturday. Well not every month has the same number of Saturdays. Or I bought some staples in bulk this month and now am good for the next 4 months on that item and will therefore be underspending intentionally in the future. These kinds of reasons are why groceries would be something I would use a rollover for.

• Bishop
    Bishop Member
    Options

Beside fluctating bills, some people do things like give yourself an allowance each month. Sometimes that allowance is used, sometimes it builds, sometimes you had to spend it and more….for sure it starts with a balance (when you come to Simplify). Rollover with a starting balance is what works in other programs. How do you all handle that here?

I also see developers have been working on this since last year. Is it really that much of a challenge? I'm deciding between a few programs in the next weeks…. Simplify won't compete like this.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I personally handle it by creating a budget and submit to reality. If I go under, that doesn't mean I have more to spend next month. It means I did well this month. If I go over next month by the same amount I went under this month, it means I broke next month's budget, not that I came out even.

At the end of a year, I can look at the average of the months and determine if I should adjust the monthly budget on an item.

I have $175 a month budgeted for groceries. If I spend $75 this month, it doesn't mean that I won't break the budget if I spend $275 next month. It may mean that I need to adjust my annual budget at the end of the year.

This is basic financial management, and it's heartbreaking to see so many people insisting on the bad workflows allowed by other applications.

Anthony Bopp

• RJ_
    RJ_ Member
    Options

"This is basic financial management, and it's heartbreaking to see so many people insisting on the bad workflows allowed by other applications."

lol. Yep ”rollover budgeting" is such a bad method of budgeting that most apps have implemented it in one form or another and if I'm not mistaken even Quicken Classic has the function.

If the method works (obvious by the number of people who use it and companies that have implemented it), why belittle others that choose to use it?

Believe it or not, there are more then one way to achieve the same goals.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Believe it or not, there are more then one way to achieve the same goals."

Believe it or not, rollover is not one of those ways.

Anthony Bopp

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The rollover feature will be here soon. A great application gives users choices on managing their finances. Some users will use rollover and others will not.

Minter 2014-2023