Rollover unused Spending Plan money [edited] (10 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The workarounds below may help while the rollover is being worked on. I know they are not automated but check them out.

Modify the category's planned spending for the followingmonth using the "edit this month's expense" option.

Move left over income to the following month by setting a custom income amount.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5528672-how-do-i-set-a-custom-income-amount-in-the-spending-plan

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Chrobrego
    Chrobrego Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I need rollover as well. Instead of beating the dead horse (people have been asking for this feature from Quicken since 2021 with no action), it might just be the case that Simplifi isn’t the program for us. There are other options. I keep coming back out of some old loyalty to Quicken, but enough is enough. The program either meets your needs or it does not.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fair point. I found Simplifi meets my needs better than other options, but yet again, I am not a heavy rollover user.

There is a nice spreadsheet that someone in Reddit put together, I will send to you via message.

Minter 2014-2023

• seshwan
    seshwan Member
    Options

I came from Mint and need rollover budgets for non-monthly expenses. The only reason I categorized all my transactions was to ensure I wasn't creeping up or blowing past what I say my budget is over an extended period of time. It's too easy to say oh that was a one time expense last month so it's not a big deal, then keep going over every month saying the same thing without aligning back to reality.

i.e. if I pay Internet for a year but also have other internet related expenses during some months of the year, I want to know when I'm going over that budget amount. Or for travel I set aside budget monthly but only go for a trip 1-2x per year. So how much budget will I have saved up by June next year, or did I go way over that and either won't have budget or I need to increase my monthly travel allotment to meet my needs (preferably taking budget from somewhere else).

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm wondering about this feature and what exactly is being asked for. I see at least two and maybe three different ways rollover is being talked about.

1. The original request is to start each new month with last months "left at end of month." I take this to mean that if I have $375 at the end of December this would be added to my January Spending plan with no designated usage, just added to my January bottom line.
    2. I also see a request for underspent/overspent Planned Spending category roll over into the same category for the following month. I take this to mean that if my Planned Spending for Groceries is $900 but I end up only spending $678 on groceries in December because I was invited to a LOT of holiday parties and dinners saving me having to use my own grocery budget, the balance of $222 will roll over into my January grocery Planned Spending category raising my January grocery spending limit to $1122. By the same token, if I spend $1359 in December for groceries because everyone kept accepting my holiday party and dinner invitations and eating my food instead of buying their own then my December deficit of will reduce my available January grocery Planned Spending category by $459 leaving me $441 for groceries in January.
    3. Rollover is available ONLY for non-monthly recurring expenses either fixed (property tax, annual/semi-annual insurance premiums, annual subscriptions/memberships.) or flexible (home upkeep/repairs, auto upkeep/repairs, birthdays & holiday gifting). Regular monthly fixed and flexible spending remain as currently set up.

#1 & #3 I can see as nice additions though it seems to me that #1 would need some nuancing. Otherwise, it seems like we just end up with a growing pool of "left at end of month" funds. I would want to see some way to move this money into savings in some manner in order to capture and account for the funds in my real-world accounts.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I used rollover in Mint was mostly in number 3 that @DannyB described above. I will like to have number 1 as well.

Minter 2014-2023

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would use rollover for #3 as well. Thanks @DannyB for putting those examples together.

• shameed
    shameed Member
    Options

I am a Mint user. I think Simplifi is great alternative. It is not free, but it is cheap and good. Two things I miss from Mint though.

1. Rollover budget
    2. Reporting is not as good.

I would really like to be able to specify in the Spending Plan which categories I would like the left over amount to be rolled over. There are many categories which either fluctuate over the year or they just happen once every 6 months or once every year. I want to be able to allocate amount to that category every month and let it accumulate until the expense actually happens, for example, property tax in Dec and income tax in April, and home insurance in June, and auto insurance in Jan and July, etc.

I understand that I am not actually "spending" that money every month, it still is helpful as it gives me a good view of monthly budget not just the money that I am actually spending.

I also feel like the reporting is not as good as in Mint. But I don't want to clutter this thread (about rollover budgets) with this discussion.

Looking forward to having the rollover budget/spending feature.

• shameed
    shameed Member
    Options

@DannyB I don't think #2 and #3 need to be differentiated. Basically at the time of setting a spending plan for a category we should be able to specify if we would like it to be rolled over or not. It doesn't matter if it is for Groceries which happens every month or property taxes which happen once a year. For annual property taxes, for example, I would like to carve out monthly budget every month and let it accumulate until I pay in Dec. I would also like to accumulate any over spending or under spending in Groceries even though it is actually spent every month. Not much difference, only a flag that I need to set to rollover or not.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@shameed you’re correct and I thought about that. But I don’t want to loose the monthly focus and accountability of monthly planning focus. I would actually like to have in addition to the current most excellent month to month spending plan an annual spending plan that does basically the same thing for annual and semi-annual expenses.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Hiking Waldo
    Options

How does one even leave a comment here without having to quote / comment on another user's comment. Gosh!

Anyway! If Simplify can not offer a roll over feature. This app is useless to me. Mint did it, and I agree with this user's post. Budget should simply rollover. You don't just start fresh each month! WTF! you have to carry forward your negative or positive balance.

WHEN CAN WE EXPECT THIS FEATURE ???

• Hiking Waldo
    Options

NEED THIS MONTHLY BUDGET ROLL OVER FEATURE, LIKE YESTERDAY!

• Hiking Waldo
    Options

How does one vote for this feature?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

The feature is already in progress so one cannot vote for it officially. The comments you left make it loud and clear that you need this, @Hiking Waldo

Minter 2014-2023

• QVan
    Options

I just moved over from Mint, doing lots of work to connect accounts and bring over my transaction history. Then I find out Simplifi doesn't yet have this critical feature of rollover. I did some digging and Monarch seems to have it. I hope I don't have to switch again.

• crinfam
    Options

I also just moved from Mint and really need the planned spending expenses to rollover from month to month. With an option of rolling them or not. For example, we budget $300 monthly for Auto and Transport. That includes several items that we may only use every 4 or 5 months. That money needs to roll in that expense category so that when it does come time for an Oil Change or Maintenance on our vehicle, the money is there.

Thank you for all the comments above that address this issue. It is the one thing that is driving me crazy about Simplifi. Trying to figure out how to capture those funds that we are planning ahead for.

• micaheldotu
    Options

+1 on this. Really need it. Please prioritize for release

• A Borzone Guerrero
    edited December 2023
    Options

Please implement this!

• bobbiesmith
    Options

Suppose you have a monthly surplus of $100 for regular discretionary spending. You might think you can afford a $100 subscription, but you also have some irregular expenses, such as a $120 car registration fee in March and a $240 car insurance bill in August. Without flipping through future months, you wouldn't know that your $100 "surplus" is really only $70, when taking into account these future expenses.

Roll over allows you to plan for future expenses today. In this month's spending, I need to account for the future $120 and $240 expenses. Just putting them on March's and August's spending plan in the future doesn't help make sure I'm saving for them today.

How do you know if you can afford something this month (and in recurring months) if you aren't explicitly earmarking money this month for a future month's expense?

• klavorflav
    klavorflav Member
    edited January 2
    Options

Coming from Mint: Only after I already subscribed for a year did I learn that rollover doesn't exist. UGH!

Of my 30 or so budget categories, about 10 are either non-monthly (seasonal or irregular expenses that divided by 12) or discretionary (non-mandatory funds, e.g. home goods or clothes). These only work in a 12-month system when there is rollover.

I want an app that is easy. I don't have the time to go an manually adjust budgets each month based on last month's rollover. What a tedious hack.

I'm off to [removed] until this gets added. Please get rollovers added soon.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bobbiesmith

"How do you know if you can afford something this month (and in recurring months) if you aren't explicitly earmarking money this month for a future month's expense?"

You use Savings Goals.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• cczh
    cczh Member ✭✭
    Options

this has been “in progress” for 2 years now since NOVEMBER 2021 and is the most highly requested feature by users. When can we expect a real update on progress on this from the dev team?

At the very LEAST, have an interim fix which lets us add ANNUAL watchlist spending targets and allow us to view the watchlist spending (tracking) by “this year/YTD” instead of just “this month”

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's not the highest requested feature; Apple Card Support has more votes, but as I understand it, this is a restriction placed by Apple/Goldman Sachs, so there may be nothing Simplifi can do about that one.

Compare the number of votes:

As I write this, this one has 289

And this one has 276

And the number of votes on both just recently went way up after Mint announced they were closing up.

Rob Wilkens

• Uricasha
    Options

I’ll be leaving Quicken after my 30 day promo.

• seshwan
    seshwan Member
    Options

Agreed, it's pointless if you can't rollover your budget. Seems like they think they have years to work on this but Mint users will be long gone by then.

• Chrobrego
    Chrobrego Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I’ve tried Simplifi on and off over the last few years. I wanted to like it. My problem with them is that they don’t seem to have any idea where this software is going nor do they seem to care. They just do continual bug fixing (of which there were many) and no new features or improvements. They even refuse to do a roadmap which I believe is telling. Meanwhile, they keep asking for ‘feedback’ but everything stays ‘in progress’ for years on end. Communication is very one-way. Anyway. My subscription ends this month so I’m gone. I’m trying out Rocket Mortgage which I like so far and free if you have a mortgage or credit card with them. Monarch is also good. Copilot is a gorgeous UI. YNAB is great if you want to focus on budgeting.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, the rollover request does not take more votes from users as it is tagged as in progress with no arrows to click up or down. With the merged votes, rollover budgets has 294 votes.

Apple Card has 289 votes and users can add more as it is still In Review

Bottom line - users are clamoring more for rollover budgets. It will be awesome to have to please new users.

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

294 votes means the total of up and down votes.

There were 9 additional yes votes that got cancelled by 9 down votes.

294-276 = 18 / 2 = 9 cancelled votes by no votes.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, @RobWilk

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

With the new year, I'm reminded that some weight loss (resolution) folks who saved 100 calories on monday might want to eat it (roll over) on tuesday (eat more that day). I find when I'm losing weight, it's better to claim the 100 calories saved as additional weight loss progress, and keep the non-rolled over calorie goal for tuesday.

Might just be me, but I feel the same way about rolling over budgets. I very much hope if they add this feature there is a way to opt-out that's not too difficult.

Rob Wilkens