Rollover unused Spending Plan money [edited] (10 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• dkelleybrew
    Options

Here from Mint as well, and agree that being able to rollover unused Spending Plan money would be a great addition. It seems to also relate to another useful feature requested (by others and myself as well) for incorporating actual spending (total expenses) for the month within a spending plan. Tracking actual spending (total expenses) for the month within a spending plan seems it would be a precursor, or even required, in order to implement spending plan roller.

• aariana
    Options

I’m a paid user who recently migrated from Mint. The absence of this feature for the following motivations seems like a deal-breaker and I’m almost at the point of shopping for alternatives.

1. Rollover budgeting helped me keep a zero sum idea of my aggregate balances so that I’m aware of overdrafting my checking account if I decide to spend on something big. With spend planning and watch lists, I have no sense of if I’m overspending in an unsustainable way.
    2. Annual bills could be budgeted for on a monthly accrual basis in Mint. In Simplifi, the goal-based accrual has to be managed / withdrawn from separately from the transactions, which makes this a disconnected experience.

I think planned spending and watch list in Simplifi are too disconnected. One looks at the future without accruing facts about the past, the other looks at the past without planning for the future. I don’t know if budget rollovers are the ideal solution. But they did solve for this disconnect.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wohoo!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • nwbackpacker
    Options

Another former Mint user here, and would like to stay with Simplifi but I'm not going to unless this feature is implemented soon. My preferred features:

1. MVP. Ability to set a particular category budget as "rollover amounts from previous month" (or not), whether the remaining amount is positive or negative. A rollover should probably be the default option, as month boundaries for spending are pretty arbitrary.
    2. Bonus. Ability to move money between budgets if I want to. In Mint I couldn't easily do this so ended up just changing the category of my transactions, but that's not ideal because then all the reporting is off. Ideally, I should be able to take money from Groceries and add that money to Travel.

You're about to get thousands of people coming in from Mint once they discover that they need to look for an alternate product. A lot of them are going to be pretty shocked to find that budgets can't be rolled over. Please implement ASAP.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My “woohoo” comment above git merged from a different discussion and was the result of @Coach Natalie saying that the Simplifi team is working on a rollover feature! Unfortunately, I don’t know any more details than that.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • kents
    kents Member ✭✭
    Options

They need to announce a timeframe on a roadmap ASAP. Since my subscription is almost due, I am evaluating Monarch that has rollover accounting and a yearly forecast grid for easier budgeting.

• As a user migrating from soon-to-be-defunct Mint, I really miss the option to have budgets rollover from month to month. Would be great to have that feature for the Spending Plan.

• samcgarvey
    Options

I will be signing up for Simplifi as soon as this rollover feature is released. It is critical to my budget process. I really love the Simplifi app UI and am looking forward to being able to use it again soon. Product Team, thank you for listening to your customers! Any estimate on when this will be available?

• Jacki
    Options

When we budget, we like to be able to put extra money into categories - sometimes it’s from a bonus check, or it’s a gift from family, or perhaps just a third check in a given month, and we want to be able to apply it to a category, but then also be able to roll that amount over from one month to the next (Extra grocery money, for example, that we want to be in the Grocery budget, but we aren’t going to use until something goes on sale, or until we go shopping for Christmas dinner, etc.)

• RJ_
    RJ_ Member
    Options

I hate to be the 'stick in the mud' for those who are waiting for this feature to commit to using Simplifi but I wouldn't.

From my research, the budget rollover feature has been requested as far back as 2019, has hands down the highest requested feature count and has been in Product Team Consideration since 2021.

I really hope they've been working on the solution for ~3 years and it's truly ready to be rolled out soon. If not, this is likely to take months if not years to implement well.

Bottom line, if you can't make one of the very poor 'workarounds' to work, I would move on because it's unlikely to be anytime soon that we see this functionality.

• Beltifi
    Beltifi Member ✭✭
    Options

Unless I’m mistaken, they updated this to say they are actively working on implementing this solution now. It is no longer a consideration but an active project for them. Check out the note at the beginning of this thread in the yellow box.

• Graham
    Graham Member
    Options

Hi Beltifi. I reviewed the yellow box as you suggested; however, it only states that "Our product team is planning to add rollover abilities to the Spending Plan!" Planning to add rollover abilities is a far cry from stating they're actively working on implementing a solution.

• Beltifi
    Beltifi Member ✭✭
    Options

Before that update on November 10, it was being considered. I don't remember that exact wording. What would be helpful is for them to have an active roadmap of what they are working on.

• nanoviking
    nanoviking Member ✭✭
    Options

Four years of this being the top request, and this is all simplifi can say about their development? At this rate, in another four years we might have an ETA update.

• formermint22
    Options

Yes, PLEASE. I am switching over from Mint. LOVED being able to have amount not spent one month rollover to the next month. I am going to have to track accumulated amount in a different spreadsheet since Simplifi doesn't have this feature. This should be top priority. Looks like a lot of users would like to see this added! I will definitely be shopping around for 2025 options if not available some time in 2024.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm kind of excited to see the team is now "hard" at work on this (updated status this morning). I was originally against it (when I posted in October of 2022, over a year ago), but I'd like to see how it would work.

For example, if I overspent one month, would it be deducted from next month's spending plan?

Will "Planned Spending" categories be able to roll over their amount (either over/under-used)?

Can I reset the rollover amount to zero for a particular month if I want to start fresh?

Will they release an initial basic version of rollover so something is out, and then allow us to vote on enhancements? Or are they aiming to get it all done at once?

Rob Wilkens

• probablyjd
    Options

Glad to hear they're finally working on this! I tried Simplifi a year or so ago and liked almost everything about the app, but couldn't get it to work for my use case because of the lack of rollover or any viable workaround. I'm not going to sign up based on a possible feature coming some indeterminate time in the future, but as soon as the feature is released I will be back to try again!

• jsy42
    jsy42 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmm. Seems like Zillow and KBB integration should also be in progress to solve the basic functionality gaps. Simplify Team, can you give us any idea of timing for these (weeks, months, years)?

• brandymcd
    Options

Hello. I'm a recent transfer from Mint and I was sorely disappointed to find the rollover feature lacking here. I disagree with the person above that the feature was problematic in Mint. They included an option for whether or not to rollover on each individual budget, and also a "reset to 0." It worked wonderfully for us for things like electric bill (varies wildly here in Houston), vacation, and summer camp spending. I wish I had known this before I moved everything over, and it still might be a dealbreaker for me.

• formerminter1
    Options

Please add this feature. It was one of the most valuable aspects of Mint.

• Raizy
    Options

offer the ability to roll over leftover funds from one month to another

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

You’ll want to vote for this Idea Post. This is a popular topic and someone already created this idea.

[removed link to merged thread]

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RobertB

In your June 1 post your shared:

I missed your above when your first posted this and wanted to follow through with a couple of questions.

I've often wondered about what to do with the "Left at end of month". Right now, I just let it go so to speak. I don't rely on money form the previous month to fund the current so rolling over surplus from one month to the next has not been an issue for me. However, I would like to see that surplus accounted for more proactively and I'm wondering if doing something like this (until the currently anticipated roll out of roll over abilities)

First, what happens to the surplus once May Bob pays June Bob? Is the surplus from May used to fund June expenses or do you end up with an even larger surplus that June Bob then pays July Bob?

If you end up with an ever growing surplus, have you found a way to move that surplus into long term savings or investments?

Does the surplus include funds you are accumulating to make recurring nonmonthly payments when they come due? What I'm asking here is whether this is a way to increase you monthly income in such a way that when that property tax bill comes due you can make the payment and it will draw down the accumulated surplus?

If you have some time, I'd like to hear how this is working for you.

Thanks.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Baseball4ohs
    Options

Only ask is to have a monthly carryover option for planned spending categories. If I have a category that I'm targeting to spend $100/month but only spend $75, I'd like to see the availability balance the next month be $125.

Thank you!

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I saw that they are working "hard" on what is called "rollover", but it's not clear if that will be "category based" in its first version (it might be).

Rob Wilkens

• Baseball4ohs
    Options

That would be awesome. Loved that feature from Mint.

• J.Shwa
    J.Shwa Member
    Options

I'm also a Mint refuge as of today. I was disappointed to find that you couldn't carry over amounts from monthly budgets to the next month's budget. I'm surprised to see that this feature has been requested for over 4 years now and only recently it looks like the devs are working on it. It seems like a very basic feature to have in any serious budgeting app.