Rollover unused Spending Plan money [edited] (10 Merged Votes)

Comments

• Is there a timeline on when this will be released?  I am really struggling to make simplifi work for me.  
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @me2005 If there was more information they would've posted it here.  At best, you'll get a reply from coach natalie reiterating what has already been said, followed by a statement like "sadly, there is nothing new to report."

Rob Wilkens

• bbertchie
    bbertchie Member ✭✭✭
    Simplifi development moves at its own time continuum which means patience is a virtue for us users
  • I see the feature to release unused money for planned spending categories, but what would be really helpful to me at least would be the ability to "rollover" unused or overspent money for a category. For example, if I want to spend $250/month for groceries and I spend $200 one month, the following month my available spending amount would be $300. And conversely, if I spend $300 one month, the following month I would have $200.
  • This is the one thing that has me on the fence with Simplifi. You desperately need this.
  • We've been using Simplifi for a couple of months now. The first month or two we were figuring out the app, setting up spending categories, categorizing, etc. Now, in month 3, we're looking for this ability to rollover the positive dollars left in a budget category to the next month. So this is a +1 generally for this feature, and IMO, the fact that we were looking for this feature in month 3 of our use highlights how fundamental of a feature it might be. Please work on this ASAP. It is the only thing we've found missing so far.
  • Adding my voice to the chorus, though I'm not sure why I'm bothering since it doesn't seem like the production team is listening. This feature request has nearly double the upvotes of the second-most requested feature. It's a basic functionality of every other budgeting app I have tried and the is sole reason I have not signed up for Simplifi. I did the trial last year and really liked the UI and feature set, but the lack of rollover severely limits its usefulness for long term planning so I had to go another route.

I get it - adding this ability will be hard and require a major change in the way the Spending Plan is currently implemented. But given the number of users calling for this and how common the rollover concept is in many budgeting methodologies, it just seems like the Spending Plan implementation was poorly structured from the start. The longer they wait and the more they build on this structure that does not meet many users' basic needs, the harder it will be to fix it later.
  • pst
    pst Member ✭✭✭
    We need this so bad. Seems like the only way to make annual purchases happen?!
  • It's so weird how there is always a major concept that isn't implemented in any platform I've tried. I loved Mvelopes, once it finally got it right, but then they shut down. So I'm now going through a long-patience driven wait for the same thing with Simplifi. Exhausting. I think Excel at this point is my most efficient option.

• BoyMom
    BoyMom Member

It would be amazing to have the palnned spending accounts act like true "envelope system" and rollever each month to know how far over or under you are. It would also be helpfull to make sure you are on track for big bills that come once a year like car insurance or property taxes if you don't escrow

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I've been able to reduce my Planned Spending to only one item - Entertainment. For me, the last thing I want is a system that says "You only spend $25 on Entertainment this month, so next month you have $75!"

To me, the idea is to restrain myself and spend no more than what I have planned, not change what I can spend based on previous habits.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• I couldn't find a feature but created a manual account called carryover. At the end of the month, I enter a spend transaction in this month that "spends" the dollars for the current month, and for the first day of the following month I create an equal "deposit" that shows up as income in the next month. Effectively, May Bob, writes a check to June Bob with the carry over amount. The carryover account always maintains a zero balance and this has no impact at all on the cash flows in my primary checking account. I can exclude these transactions from reports but leave them visible in the spending plan. It seems like a miss in the program though. We live in a real world and this happens. There should be a feature to handle it.

• I am dying for this feature! People have great hacks but we shouldn't have to hack this simple function. It will complete the functionality of the spending plan! I am so motivated when I actually underspend but it's so unsatisfying to just...have nothing happen with it

• LVM
    LVM Member

In review since September 2022?! This seems like a pretty basic feature — we may just need to move to a different app. The spending plan for the current month should be able to account for leftover income from the previous month. This is such a basic feature that although I looked for it in other apps, I assumed, because this is a Quicken product it would of course have it.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

"we" have considered other apps, and none of them have the core features I have to have besides simplifi (unless i want to use something like quicken or the former microsoft money - couldn't figure out the excel version), Rollover is not something i want - I don't want to spend more than that month's money each month. If there were an option to rollover (non-mandatory) I could live with that. In the interim, I'm amongst the no-voters (only about 7 of us, we're in the minority).

Rob Wilkens

• BobG
    BobG Member

New user - very strong vote for rollover!

• Eric N
    Eric N Member

Would love to have this! It's been a huge pain for our budgeting to not have roll over.

• BobG
    BobG Member

To Quicken/Simplifi -

PLEASE provide an update on whether or not the Rollover feature is being developed and will or will not be available in Simplifi. Please don't maintain silence.

• Chrobrego
    Chrobrego Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

Not to sound too rude, but their 'update' is that they don't tell us what they are working on. I've been clamoring for a 'roadmap' for a while, but they dropped the idea. I just want to know if this feature along with a couple others are on the radar. The reason being is that I'm not unpatient, but I also don't want to devote a lot of time putting data into a financial app that won't eventually meet my needs or expectations. Sadly, I've left Simplifi and plan on checking back in a year to see if they've gotten their act together. It's crazy that a large company like this can't let the users know a bit of the development cycle, when I've used several other apps from smaller companies that don't seem to have a problem keeping their devoted users in the loop.

• I know that I'm necroing this thread, but if we are overhualing this please include planning by Tags.

As a work around for this, I've added an Income item that repeats the 1st of every month called "Rollover from Last Month" and set the amount to $0 when the month ends I release any unused funds to available and then place that amount into the new months Rollover Income, Then I start budgeting again. Annoying I know, buts its been working for me thus far.

• nanoviking
    nanoviking Member ✭✭

When is this happening? It really sucks planning for vacation, taxes, kids activity fees, home improvement projects, and gift on bi-weekly paycheck without this feature.

• Very sad that this feature is not available. I like everything else about the app. I would even settle for the ability to associate transactions to goals as a work around, but this is not possible either. I paid for the year but I will cancel for a refund within the 30 day trial.

• I'm a new user from Mint, I'm trying to find my new home now that they're shutting down. I've tried YNAB, set it up, and found it too complicated for what I'm trying to do. I have spreadsheets that take care of all the savings I have going on in the background and all I'm looking for is trying to track monthly spending.

I can't use this budgeting app to do what I want unless they add a roll over feature similar to Mint. I'm going to keep trying to find another budgeting app unless Simplifi can fix this and add a roll over feature month to month. I love all the other features of this app, you have my money if you can do this one thing.

• Scenario: Say I have a category in my Spending Plan labeled "Dogs", and every month I allocate $200 for "Dogs. If I end October with $50 left in that category, I would like that $50 to rollover such that November's allocation is $250.

• Agree, I can't believe this still hasn't been added given the age of this thread.

• RJ_
    RJ_ Member
    edited November 2023

Voted +1

It is indeed surprising this function is still missing. I'm also evaluating [removed] which seems to have this feature.

• Is there any movement here? With Mint closing in a couple of months, I would love to move to Simplifi, but this rollover category is really helpful to our family in order to recover from expense heavy-months (and lower our spending until we know we "undid" the big month) and to plan ahead for a big expense in a traceable way.

So far I don't see how putting a large yearly expense on the spending plan in 3 months helps me to save for it. I won't see that expense until the month in question, and Simplifi doesn't seem to remove 1/12 of that yearly expense from each month of the year. What is the suggested workaround (i.e. life insurance)?

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

@cbmack1,

What rock have I been living under!? I didn’t realize that Mint was shutting down. Looks like Intuit - not today’s Quicken (the company) - drove another software into a wall. 💥🚙

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • I too am a potential customer from Mint. I've used Simplifi for about a week, but not having a rollover feature from the spending plan is a huge miss for me. I don't think anyone spends exactly the same amount every month in every category. We need the ability to rollover or save up from month to month to cover larger expenses or bills that are semi-monthly or semi-annual. Using the goals is just too much extra work. I would have to set a goal for almost every spending category to cover the month-to-month variances. Please take a look at the Mint interface and how they show budgets. Users can quickly see how they are doing at any (over and under). If you are consistently over budget, you know to add more money. If you are consistently under budget, you can decrease your allotment. And if you know you are having a large purchase coming up such as taxes, insurance, home improvement, you can see how you are saving towards it.