Undo option

Jedp
Jedp Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2021 in Feature Requests
I feel like it would be a great idea to add an "undo option". This way, if you create a rule and accidentally have it apply to the last 250 transactions you can easily change it in one step.
Tagged:
31 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Jedp,

Thanks for the suggestion!

We do have some pop-ups at the bottom of the screen when creating a new Rule from the Transaction View that allows you to undo the newly created Rule, however, this doesn't appear to undo any of the changes that were made to past transactions from creating the Rule, so I definitely agree that having an 'Undo' option would be great for this type of situation.

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can add their votes; please be sure to add your vote as well! :wink:

-Coach Natalie
  • Jedp
    Jedp Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Natalie!
  • dgalt
    dgalt Member ✭✭
    This just happened to me - accidentally applied a rule to over 300 transactions and missed the Undo popup in the bottom corner of my screen. Now I have to go back and fix all of these by hand. There should be a way to roll something like this back by e.g. going in a deleting the rule. 
  • asubbaiyanprof
    asubbaiyanprof Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggested earlier for a backup and restore point option to tackle it
  • Please do this! I hit the UNDO button but evidentially not fast enough. A year of AMAZON transaction categorized now reset :(  At least make the UNDO button stick around longer or perpetually. 
  • I also just re-categorized over a hundred Amazon transactions - I didn't realize an "undo" button appeared on the screen. As soon as I hit "create" for the rule and realized it was a mistake, I went to the menu to look for an undo. 
    1- We should be able to shut off the prompt for rule creation, at least temporarily, as it makes data entry more tedious and time consuming  - or allow a "never prompt for rule creation on this payee."
    2- The undo should be available on a menu - as it is on virtually all user interfaces.
    3- The "create" button, when it appears where it does on a box I didn't ask for, is perhaps poorly placed. The box I don't want keeps popping up and the natural thing to do to get rid of an unwanted box is to hit the button at the bottom, not the 'x' at the top.

• Undo would be greatly appreciated; especially when trying to learn and navigate the system.  
  • I just created a rule to set the category for a given payee. AFAIK did not request that it change the category on existing transactions, but dicovered that they all had been changed … 40+ transactions over 3 years. And Per tech support there is no way to undo this. Since this is a payee that goes in multiple categories, I have no good way of manually undoing this action.

Two different features could prevent this problem for myself and others in the future

1. An Undo option for bulk category changes
    2. Add a "Are You Sure" dialog box when doing bulk category changes.

• jtscanlon
    jtscanlon Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023

twellspring is dead on. This is a TERRIBLE UX problem right now — the option to apply a category change to hundreds of transactions is way too subtle and way too easy to accidentally do…. and the undo prompt is way too subtle and way too shortlived to be useful. My wife just accidentally reset categories on over a thousand Amazon transactions… my soul has died inside thinking about how much work it will be to fix… WHY OH WHY WOULD SIMPLIFI MAKE THIS SO EASY TO DO?!? TERRIBLE!

• Dan-in-Virginia
    Dan-in-Virginia Member ✭✭✭

I agree with the need for an undo button. Or a restore point capability, such as restoring to the previous day (this would be a simpler resolution approach if someone truly screwed up their transactions).

• Chiromag
    Chiromag Member

An undo option MUST be added as well as a warning: “Are you sure you wish to recategorize ALL past entires with this category?” Had that been there, I would have clicked NO.

• Just like the others, I lost 2 years worth of Amazon transaction categories. I'm a new user and this could be a deal breaker if you don't provide an option to go back to previous data. It took days to categorize those transactions and one checkbox wiped it out! The toast for "undo" is way too fast.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@kab , I feel for ya. This just happened to me for the first time the other day. 2 year’s worth of transactions - for one payee - recategorized in .05 seconds. Fortunately, mine will be easier to undo than yours. Don’t give up!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.