What types of items do you set up as "Subscriptions"?

Options
Coach Blake
Coach Blake Administrator, Moderator admin
edited November 2021 in Bills and Income
ACH for Subscription Services  Nacha

We often get a lot of questions about what is considered a "Subscription." We define a subscription as anything that does not result in a late fee if not paid on time. However, we allow our customers to determine what is a "subscription" vs. a "bill" based on how it makes sense to them and their finances. 

Personally, I have items set up as subscriptions like Memberships (Car wash and Gym), Streaming services (Sirius XM, Netflix, and Disney +), Pet Supplies (Bark Box, recurring food and treats), and Home Services (Pest Control and Landscaping).

We want to hear from you! What are some items that you have set up as a subscription?

Comments

• kai4387
    kai4387 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me, the difference is an arbitrary "would it be bad if it lapses". I've added things like recurring donations, media/website subscriptions, and streaming/gaming services to the subscription section where if it lapses, I can just re-subscribe whenever I want to.
  • MrGood
    MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I use it to prioritize recurring expenses, akin to a Tier 1 and Tier 2 system:
    • Tier-1 are bills that are for must-have critical items, such as utilities and mortgage.  
    • Tier-2 are subscriptions which are comprised of more discretionary nice-to-have luxuries (e.g., streaming, select home services that I could do myself if necessary, etc.). 
    If we were to be hit with a sudden loss of income, subscriptions are one of the first areas we would look at to trim down expenses.
  • Giantsfan
    Giantsfan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    We have a setup similar to the two tier of @MrGood with a slight tweak. With Tier two, we have those broken down into 'physical services' and 'virtual services', for lack of better terms.

For Physical Services, that would be house cleaning, lawn care, etc.
    For Virtual Services, those are online services such as Amazon Prime, Simplifi, etc.

The same basic premise applies. If we were to experience a loss of income, virtual services would be cut first, then physical services.
This discussion has been closed.