Combined Income and Spending (Net Income) on the Dashboard (edited)

Mitchel
Mitchel Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Feature Requests

While both the Spending and Income tiles on the dashboard useful, a combined (like a net income graph) would be more useful:

For example, perhaps Spending is decreasing and shows as such in the dashboard tile graph.

Also, let's say Income is increasing and shows as such in the dashboard tile graph.

But what if: Spending is decreasing from $6,000 to $5,800 to $5,000 each month, and Income is increasing from $3,000 to $3,100 to $3,200 each month. Individually, the graphs both tell great stories but together, the story is that spending is drastically higher than income each month and is a problem to be addressed.

Combined tells a better and quicker 'story' of current finances, especially with Spending Plans and Watchlists already available to watch and tell the story of spending.

29 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Greetings,

Right now, this is how Simplifi displays Spending and Income graphs on the Dashboard...

Please consider allowing users the option of viewing them like this instead...

Displaying October next to October, November next to November, December next to December, etc. lets you immediately determine where you stand as opposed to having to use a curser to hover over November on the Spending graph and then needing to remember that number until you hover your curser over November on the Income graph.

If each month is right next to each other, then you can visually tell which one is ahead without needing to even consider the numbers.  Overall, it gives you a better big picture idea of where you stand.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Josh H80
    Josh H80 Member
    Agreed, I would like to see Net Income along with the Spending and Income graphs. Each provides useful data to assist with making financial decisions and changes to the spending plan over time.
  • jbair6
    jbair6 Unconfirmed, Member

I wish that Simplifi had the Net Income graph on their dashboard that Mint had. This would occur by overlaying the Income and Spending graphs for the Last 6 Months with a line overtop for net income. This was one of my favorite features in Mint as it helped me see how much money I actually added in each month.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@jbair6

Could you provide a screenshot example of what it looked like on Mint, by chance? This would help the non-Mint users to get a sense of what you are thinking. Obviously, black out the amount lines.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Mint did it like this - this is how I prefer it because rather than side by side, it shows spending as a negative and income as a positive. Net income will be either below zero or above zero.

• Have a graph showing your net positive or negative for the month in the dashboard.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

Sounds like this idea fits your need. Vote for it

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• one more vote for quickly seeing after all spending how much money did I save for every month. Why have 2 reports one of spending one for income if you can have 1 report by combining the two.

• Ed Rizzolo
    Ed Rizzolo Member ✭✭

I like the idea of the combined income and spending graph with a bar for each. I always check to see if my spending was greater than my income and with both bars for each month it would be easy to see. Basically, this is adding the Net Income bar chart to the dashboard. This could replace the separate income and expense bar charts or be an addition to it.

• Mint user since 2012 here, just imported to Simplifi yesterday and trying to adjust. I'm missing a lot of Mint's features and adding my vote here. I've seen the graph that @Flopbot shared exists in Reports > Net Income section of Simplifi, so the idea is there. I definitely prefer Mint's view (stacked bars vs. side by side) and it makes a lot more sense to be on the dashboard than buried in Reports. This would also allow more real estate for another graph (maybe a month over month spending view, also available in Mint). I didn't realize how lucky I was with Mint, especially considering it's free…

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭

Checkout reports, (open Simplifi, 6 icon down under Simplifi logo), There is a bar graft like mint, but better because clicking a month show transactions for just that month, view by date range, and filter transactions also.

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭

Under reports, net income is available, It just needs to be added to the dashboard. I have voted the suggestion up. When it is added to the dashboard, they should add customization of what panels are shown or hidden.