Ability to Have Multiple Spending Plans [edited] (2 Merged Votes)

Options
acr
acr Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Feature Requests
I would benefit from the ability to create/track multiple budgets/spending plans for my household. For example, a household budget, and then 2 personal budgets.
48 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin
    Options

@acr I appreciate the feedback!

• Jeffnewell88
    Jeffnewell88 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I've run into a challenge where my wife and I have a joint account and most expenses come out of this account. This works great for managing all of our bills and income on this account. The challenge is we both have our own personal accounts and have a percentage of our income going into those accounts. We also have individual expenses that come out of our own accounts. I'd like the ability to have multiple budgets that sit completely independent of each other. Short of creating a whole new account I've tried everything to find a way to make it work, it just messes up reporting.

I'd even pay extra for this feature.
  • PolyNomad
    PolyNomad Member
    Options
    This would be a very useful feature. I have some accounts that are "household" accounts and some that are personal accounts. The household account is doesn't vary much month to month so for now I have the household accounts ignored from the spend plan. I would rather be able to have multiple spend plans and a way to associate accounts with a spend plan.
  • MoneySkeets
    MoneySkeets Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Great idea!
  • andr3sbed
    Options

Similar to budgets in some other applications for people that track multiple accounts independently.

• AlanT
    Options

I think maybe this is why Spaces are part of Simplifi, to give us the ability to have different views of our accounts and transactions and plans.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@AlanT , I recently started using Spaces and - unless I’m missing something - that is more geared towards being able to manage totally separate household’s accounts/budgets. For example, I’m using it to track my families Budget along with - temporarily - that of my mom. All together each account (paid Quicken account; not bank account) is completely separate with a separate U/P.

For this situation, it’s actually very useful and works quite well.

Fort this idea, I don’t see Spaces providing the ability to create two different budgets for the same Quicken U/P account.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@AlanT and @Flopbot, Space Sharing is so you can share your Simplifi data with someone else without having to share your login credentials. This allows your significant other or your accountant, etc. to access your dataset. Your dataset would be your own set of finances, so you wouldn't be able to manage a different set of finances using this feature; you'd need a separate Quicken ID and Simplifi Subscription to manage separate finances.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6443103-how-to-share-your-simplifi-data

However, if two people are subscribed to Simplifi and share their dataset with each other (say a husband and wife), they would essentially be accessing two sets of finances and would be able to switch between the Spaces, but it would be with two paid Subscriptions.

I hope this helps clarify!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie ,

Your second paragraph is how I have my two accounts set up and it works very, very well! It’s a browse to switch between the two separate datasets!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • ryan.ak22
    ryan.ak22 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I’d like the ability to create additional budgets for planning purposes without having to change my current budget or use future months to experiment. This almost always creates issues with my recurring transactions.

• kis87988
    kis87988 Member
    Options

I would like to have additional space. That is very very helpful

• Laurenb124
    Options

I’m just moving over from YNAB where this has been a feature for years and I’m very surprised you can’t have multiple spaces/ budgets in one account. In order for my husband and I to each have a personal space and our shared household expenses we would need 3 separate subscriptions which is kind of nuts. Please allow people to make at least 2 spaces in one account!

• aolafsson
    aolafsson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Second this. I have two sets of finances, personal and joint with my partner. It would be amazing to have a second "space" where I can have our joint accounts separate from my personal finances, and issue a login to my partner for just that space. I see there is a "+Space" button in the Spaces area, but it's greyed out. I hope that's on the horizon!!

• Catfish
    Options

For couples who maintain shared accounts AND individual accounts for their own spending, really need the ability to have a joint space and two individual spaces.

• Chris Carrick
    Options

My wife and I have a shared space for all our combined finances. We also have a son that we would like to help track his finances and would love to have an additional space to work with him to create a good financial habits.

• crpar
    crpar Member
    Options

Just wanted to add my vote for having spaces or some way to break down top line numbers my account categories. The key goal is to be able to go between looking at
    - Total household Net Worth (NW) & Expenses
    - Shared NW & Expenses
    - Individual NW & Expenses

I do think the approach should consider having a way to look globally across these "Spaces" as well, which is why maybe a concept other than spaces maybe better. For example, having an "ownership" label on an account and being able to assign that to an individual or a joint category, etc.

Thanks for considering!

• Carlos M
    Options

I’m very interested in this future. Having the ability to configure a Household space and a Personal space would be perfect for me. Are there any updates on this feature?

• mikg2003
    mikg2003 Member
    Options

I would also love this feature! I have the same issues as everyone else in that I can't have a space for my household and one for my personal accounts.

@Coach Natalie - I know you mentioned Spaces are for sharing your info, but it seems to me that it'd still be the easiest and best mechanism to isolate various accounts/budgets/etc for one person/family. As others have said, having to pay for and manage multiple accounts just to do that is awkward and unnecessarily expensive. There is also a "mistaken" "add a new space" button in the UI that hasn't been removed in a year. It leads me to believe that, even though it's supposed to be used for sharing your info, it could easily be used to segment your own data as much as you want.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm wondering if any of the personal finance/budget apps provide this feature - the ability to set up in essence 2 or 3 or ? separate budgets. Perhaps such a feature could be added with a different subscription rate to cover the cost of maintaining, in essence, multiple instances of the Quicken Simplifi app. For example, there is an individual subscription price that provides one instance of Q-Simplifi and a "Family" plan that provides multiple instances that are still connected to each other somehow. I'm thinking of other subscription services that have multiple subscription levels for different levels of access. I'm also thinking of cell phone companies that charge per line in their "family" plans.

That seems like a suitable way to move this idea forward.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Scrumin
    Scrumin Member
    Options

I would like to be able to have the ability to add a second space. One for household and one for personal.

• John O
    John O Member
    edited March 20
    Options

I recently moved from Mint and in the past had multiple Mint accounts that each tracked different views and spending plans (budgets) for my various accounts. I would like to have the ability to group them separately (through spaces?) so that I can have various spending plans for each grouping accessible from my single Simplifi account. Thank you.

• pgraha
    pgraha Member
    Options

I agree with everything above. The ability to add even one more space would be immensely helpful and help differentiate your product from others, including free options. Even if my partner had to get an account, the ability to view a shared and individual space would be immensely helpful. I'd personally pay for this feature if offered if a second account was not required.

• hi_there
    Options

Please create the option to organize spending plans by accounts (to choose which accounts are considered per expense). I would like to have the "option" to isolate/set up planned expenses for each account separately instead of for all of them.

I have a family budget that is different from my personal budget. I want to be able to see where I am at with those budgets individually. Currently the spending plan aggregates from all the accounts.

• kis87988
    kis87988 Member
    Options

I really want to have more spaces too. That way we can have spreate with some joint companies or family card management space not join with personal