Ability to Ignore part of a split transaction [edited] (3 Merged Votes)

buncha
buncha Member
edited June 2022 in Feature Requests
Thanks for the split transactions feature, it works pretty well. I’d like to suggest the ability to hide individual items from spending plans and reports. For example, I create a split transaction for my paychecks and I track my taxes, insurance and 401k contributions. But I’d like to hide 401k contributions since they’re not really expenses. 
185 votes

In Review · Last Updated

This Idea has been submitted to the product team for review!

Comments

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I have the same thing with my retirement plan.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• JMP
    JMP Member ✭✭
    +1 - I also have this issue.  My workaround is to convert all my paycheck splits to individual transactions and then ignore the items I do not want in my Spending Plan (401K, benefits).  This creates a lot of needless transactions.    
  • ncapone
    ncapone Member
    edited May 2022
    My wife and I use a shared credit card and I split all of our credit card purchases in half using the split transaction feature. To get a better understanding of my personal spending (aka exclude her portion of our credit card charges), I would like the option to ignore her portion of the split transaction. It would be very beneficial if we had the option to ignore splits within a split transaction.
  • MrGood
    MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
    Would love to have this feature. Like OP, I also itemize my paychecks and currently my 401k contributions come across in reports as expenses, which is not ideal. 
  • kwimmer
    kwimmer Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Would it be possible to ignore parts of a split transaction? 

In my case I set up categories for each of my saving goal spending so that I can categorize them appropriately and then I set them to be ignored so that they don't mess with my spending plan (this was recommended in a previous forum post). However when you are splitting a transaction you can only ignore the whole transaction. 

For example, I go shopping at Walmart and part of my purchase ($20) comes out of a savings goal and the other part ($80) comes out of my grocery budget. I release that $20 from my savings goal and set the category of that portion to the goal it was pulled from. However, the way the transactions are now I can't "ignore" that $20 without ignoring the other $80 that is supposed to go to groceries. 

Does anyone else run into something similar or have a work around?
  • I think this is important to have. Say for instance I'm saving up for an insurance payment over the year, but end up only saving a portion of the entire actual amount. (I saved 700 but needed 800 for the transaction). We should be able to ignore part of that 800 transaction for a customized amount, in this case ignoring 700.

• Yash
    Yash Member
    edited May 2023

I run a business where I partner with 2 other founders and we split our P&L equally. However, income and payments come in as individual transactions. I only want to account for 1/3 of the income and cost of these specific transactions, but currently have no way to do that.

Other use cases where I could see this being valuable:

1. Costs that have been split, but haven't yet received money from others for their portions of the split. This feature would allow for a more accurate projection of cash flow if we can add estimated payments/costs in the future.
    2. I've made a big purchase but want to amortize the value over time. E.g., if my travel budget is $200 per month, but I spend $1000 on a flight for 5 months from now. I want to account for $200 of that expense each month so as to not unfairly penalize me for "overspending" against my watchlist item.

How this might work:

1. I have an income line item for $300. I only want to account for $100 of it
    2. I use the "split" feature to split the transaction into however many sub-amounts I want. In this example, I want to split it into 2 sub-amounts, $100 and $200. Side note: include an error check to make sure the sum of sub-amounts ties to the total amount of the line item.
    3. Each of those sub-amounts has its own options for show/hide in spending plan and show/hide in reporting.

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

I agree this is an important feature that would be really helpful. I keep a manual account that roughly corresponds to the cash I have in my pocket. So when I get cash at an atm I usually split that transaction between my immediate use of the cash, for the babysitter for example, and the balance, which is essentially a transfer to my manual cash account. I would like to be able to hide that transfer but not the portion I actually spent.

My imperfect and hopefully temporary work-around is a “hide” tag that I use for the portion transferred and can then exclude from Simplifi reports. But greater separation and customization of split transaction is a preferable solution.

• I'd also like to request the ability to ignore part of a split transaction from reports or spending plan. My use case is I pay our landlord our total rent – and my roommates reimburse me via Venmo.

I split the rent payment transaction to my landlord into my share (25%) and my roommates share (75%). I'd like Simplifi to ignore the roommates share from my spending plan and reports so that the roommates share and my roommates venmos do not contaminate my spending plan and reports.

• Please implement this feature. My wife's expense reimbursements are included on the same deposit, and I don't want her reimbursements to be reported. I've already voted for a feature to be able to bulk exclude "Work Expenses" from reports. Both seem easy and obvious so I hope they are included soon!

• cdorsi
    cdorsi Member ✭✭

For travel and Christmas presents, I often pay for something with my credit card that a friend or family member will later (sometimes months later) reimburse me for. I'd like to only count the portion that will not be reimbursed against my spending since the rest of what's charged to my card is not actually mine.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

Unlike a lot of requests, which seem peculiar to a few persons' needs, this feature request would be used by everybody. It happens with paychecks, split reimbursements, paying for friends, etc. And many accounting apps do this automatically, e.g., Quicken.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• Any updates on this? I recently moved from a competing app (M_int) and would love to see this feature

• Need this functionality to exclude my husband's half of transactions from our shared credit card. Without that feature this app is unusable for me.

• RosenJ
    RosenJ Member

This was my absolute most-used feature over at Mint, which was my budgeting app for fifteen years. It is completely essential and its absence makes Simplifi, ironically, difficult to use.

• Nikki M
    Nikki M Member

Mint allowed users to split a transaction, then treat each portion of the split as its own separate transaction. This allowed users to exclude certain portions from reports/spending and include others.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

I voted for being able to hide a split from reports/spending plan. I'm not so sure whether I'd need the split to be its own transaction (neither for nor against).

This idea already has 49 votes as of now, you may want to vote for that too:

[removed link to merged thread]

Rob Wilkens

• Nikki M
    Nikki M Member

I came to Simplifi from M1nt and this feature is a MUST!! It’s the only way to accurately budget, plan, and see your TRUE spending!

• Nikki M
    Nikki M Member

thanks! I went over there and voted for it and commented! A lot of people are asking for this feature.

• This is critical.

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Member
    edited November 2023

Adding another use case:

I track work expenses often.

I have a perfect system…except when the expense is only partially reimbursable, or the repayment comes in the same transaction as regular income. I don't want the work expenses to show in my spending plan/reports for obvious reasons; however, I do want personal income/expenses to count if they happen to be combined, e.g. an expense reimbursed on my regular paycheck.

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Member

Depending on the situation, you can painstakingly work around this by creating manual transactions to 'negate' the unwanted amount, as long as it's put to the same category, day, and payee. In my case this is a lot of work for very small amounts, but for those who want to split 50/50, it's possible to workaround it…just a lot of work.

• as someone who is looking for an alternative to mint…I would LOVE to see this feature added. I split multiple transactions weekly and hide one of the splits I create from my budgets and trends very frequently. It’s an essential aspect of my budgeting process and I can’t see myself using a budgeting app long term if this feature isn’t available on it.

• Not having this is a deal breaker for me when it comes to adopting Simplifi. I regularly split purchases with my wife and friends, and want to ignore their portions in budgets and trends.

• Absolutely add this to Simplifi. My husband and I have a shared credit card and I can't get an accurate depiction of my personal financials because it looks like I'm paying for all of these expenses in full (groceries, dining out, etc.). It would be a huge time-saver and it sounds like many would use the feature.

• Would like to see this.