Transactions disappear when linked to recurring

bobmablob
bobmablob Member
edited August 22 in Report a Bug

Yet again, I've had a transaction disappear after I linked it to a recurrence.

A charge that still appears on my Bank of America account was visible in my Simplifi transactions and had cleared. I never mess with transactions until they have moved from Pending to Cleared on Simplifi's end.

The expense was 1¢ off my monthly recurrence, so I manually linked it by going to the appropriate Upcoming transaction in my Spending Plan / Bills. I remember linking it to the correct transaction and seeing it was linked correctly just yesterday.

Today the transaction is completely gone and the expense is again listed in my Spending Plan as Upcoming. I am not able to find the transaction at all on Simplifi through the transactions ledger. It is still cleared on my account.

Last time I was in touch with Support on this issue, I went through a rigamarole of screenshots, logs, making my account manual and then re-linking it. I've also deleted recurrences and re-started them.

As has been reported by other users with Closed discussions, this seems to be an issue with Simplifi. I should be able to trust Simplifi rather than needing to audit it for missing transactions.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@bobmablob, thanks for reporting this issue to the Community!

When viewing the ticket from your chat interaction, I don't think they truly grasped what's occurring, as I don't see anything about the transaction disappearing after being linked to a Recurring Series. With that, I'd be happy to get this in front of our product team so they can research what's going on, but we need some documentation and proof of the issue from you first.

1. The next time you go to manually link a transaction to a Recurring Series, open the Transaction Detail view of the transaction and grab a screenshot so we can see the Date, Payee, Amount, and the "Appears on your statement as…" info. This will show that the transaction was indeed downloaded into Quicken Simplifi.
    2. Take a screenshot of the reminder in the 'Reminders' carousel at the top of the account register before linking it to the transaction so we can see the details of that as well.
    3. Link the transaction to the reminder and then take a fresh screenshot of the Transaction Detail view so we can see the Series section and see that it's linked.
    4. Once the transaction disappears, grab a screenshot of the account register showing it's missing, as well as a screenshot of the Reminders carousel showing that the reminder is back.

This should give us a pretty good timeline to go off of when reporting the issue. It would be great if you could grab 2-3 examples of this issue occurring. It's okay if it takes a little bit of time to do so; it's important to provide quality data and proof with an issue of this nature.

We look forward to working with you on this!

-Coach Natalie

• bobmablob
    bobmablob Member
    edited August 22

Hi Coach Natalie,

The prior two transactions I submitted also were recurring transactions. I provided the requested screenshots and was later accused of deleting the transactions, which I did not.

Following on your instructions, does this put me back at the beginning of my support request? It's not clear whether the two examples I've already provided are being deemed irrelevant.

My preference would be to work with Simplifi on the basis of my account logs rather than continuing to provide screenshots, though I am happy to provide screenshots of this missing transaction as I have with the past several examples. Since I joined Simplifi just this past year I have already provided Simplifi 17 screenshots of various bugs, including 8 to support my ticket around missing transactions.

I began working on this bug with Support in April, followed up in July, and now we're in August with the issue recurring. I would strongly prefer my ticket remain open and my issue be investigated rather than continuing to be put in a position to wait and see if it happens again—it just did.

I can also see from a brief scan of these forums that this bug has been reported by other users—specifically with recurring transactions. I'm not able to follow up on those threads because they have been closed by Coaches with no confirmed resolution.

• Coach Natalie

@bobmablob, thanks for the reply!

The only thing I'm seeing is that a missing transactions ticket was submitted back in April. The ticket was for Bank of America, but it was treated as an online banking issue as opposed to a program issue, whereas I deem what you're reporting here in the Community a program issue. Based on the ticket, you responded on July 17th stating that you hadn't noticed any additional missing transactions, so the ticket was closed at that time.

With that, I think as a general, the issue was misunderstood. If the transaction is downloaded and then disappears after being linked to a reminder, I would personally submit it as a program bug. To do so, yes, I will need to take a fresh stab at this and gather fresh data and proof of the issue. Otherwise, you can locate your Messages in the Help Center and chat back with the agent you worked with when the online banking escalation was submitted back in April to see if you can get them to reopen the ticket with your new occurrences/examples.

Although a bit more convoluted, I was able to report the same or a very similar issue here:

I know other reports of this issue have come through as well, so it would be nice to be able to escalate some additional cases to assist our product team in resolving the behavior for everyone. Totally up to you on how you'd like to proceed!

-Coach Natalie

• bobmablob
    bobmablob Member
    edited August 22

Thanks, Coach Natalie. I am happy to continue to monitor this and secure the 15 screenshots requested.

From a process standpoint, I understand from your message that my ticket was closed. In my July 17th reply to Support, what I said was that I would reach out if I had another example.

Is it now possible to reopen that ticket? The issue was not resolved and is not, and in fact my reaching out to you is on the basis of already being told to follow up with more examples. How did I end up at square one again?

Otherwise, am I to understand this thread amounts to you opening another ticket? If so, is there a ticket number I can refer to or at minimum will this discussion remain open while it takes a for me to collect the requested information? My concern is that, as with other discussions on this topic, it will be closed by Simplifi Support without resolution such that I won't be able to return to is as you are requesting.

Unfortunately I do feel the request is quite burdensome given I am using the Simplifi platform to manage dozens of bills and, to record the screenshots requested and catch transactions in Simplifi before they disappear, I essentially am being asked to collect 5 screenshots for every bill moving forward. It would be simpler and better customer service to consider the three examples I am already providing as sufficient proof to then investigate my logs. If the prior ticket was escalated to the wrong internal team, that doesn't seem like it ought to undermine the three examples over 5 months I'm already providing.

• Coach Natalie

@bobmablob, if you want to request that the original escalation be re-opened, you will want to contact our Chat Support Team to do so, since that's where the issue was reported. If you can't find your original chat in Messages, you can open a new one.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

If you'd like to proceed with a new escalation here in the Community, you will need to provide the above-requested data and we'd be happy to assist with that here. We won't have a ticket number to provide you with until the escalation is submitted, but this thread will remain open for you to post updates to, and share the requested information. Once 1 month of inactivity occurs, we will close the thread. If this happens, just create a new thread and add the link to this one, and we can merge them and reopen the topic. If/when we escalate your case from the Community, the thread will remain open until a solution is implemented.

I hope this helps to clarify!

-Coach Natalie

• bobmablob
    bobmablob Member

Thanks, Natalie. Just to respond to ensure I'm understanding correctly:

— My original escalation from April in your opinion was escalated to the wrong team
    —The three examples I have provided Simplifi of this bug are not eligible for escalation since the 10+ screenshots I have provided as already requested by Simplifi Support are not sufficient proof
    —In order for you to create a new escalation to the correct team, this issue must occur and be captured through 2-3 new examples of the bug in the form of 10-15 additional screenshots, ideally in the next 30 days.

I will continue to monitor this and it seems take 5 screenshots of every single bill I manage through Simplifi. My preference would be that I'm not lurched back to square one simply because this issue has been improperly triaged by Chat Support. My experience of Chat Support was that a successive roster of Coaches did not attentively review my case notes to begin with.

This is alarming behavior for an accounting platform that should be taken seriously by Support. To your point regarding opening old discussion threads, here are at least three from other users reporting essentially the same bug:

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/9406/some-transactions-are-missing-but-not-all
    https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/7849/bank-of-america-missing-transaction-edited
    https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/8292/transactions-dissappearing

• bobmablob
    bobmablob Member
    edited September 8

Hi Coach Natalie,

I have another example of a transaction disappearing, for which I have the screenshots you requested BEFORE I linked it to a recurrence and AFTER it disappeared. I noticed when a Reminder for a past-due bill re-surfaced for something I knew I had definitely paid and shows as paid in my actual bank records.

If there is a way to open an email ticket that is preferable so I can avoid posting additional screenshots of my personal bank details on the public internet.

Thanks!

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Thank you for your reply @bobmablob,

You can send the additional screenshots via DM if you prefer. If you are not comfortable sending the screenshots via DM, then your other option would be to contact Quicken Simplifi Support via phone or chat and they should be able to send you a secure link that you can use to send the screenshots. Our Chat Support hours are seven days a week from 5 am - 5 pm PST. Phone Support is available Monday - Friday during the same hours.

Thank you!

-Coach Kristina

• Coach Natalie

@bobmablob, thank you!

The screenshots and timeline you provided are perfect for filing a ticket! I can go ahead and escalate the issue with this one example after I obtain the following additional data:

1. The browser and browser version you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.
    2. The OS of the computer you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.

As well as logs sent via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Once you have the next example or two to share, we can add those to the ticket with fresh logs in case it helps our product team narrow things down. And as mentioned by Coach Kristina, you can share any private data via DM. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• bobmablob
    bobmablob Member

Thanks, Natalie! This is great—I'd love for a ticket to be created so developers can look at my logs. While this issue is intermittent, I know it has occurred across at least four transactions since I joined Simplifi this year.

As per your questions:

1. I access Simplifi through a variety of web browsers, but I am currently on Chrome 128.0.6613.137
    2. I access Simplifi on several machines, but am currently on a 2022 Apple M2 Macbook Air / Ventura 13.6.6

I'll send in the Feedback now as specified.

Will keep an eye out as well for additional examples as I continue to monitor.

• Coach Natalie
    edited October 14

@bobmablob, thank you!

I submitted the escalation and will let you know when we hear back. I would also love to get those additional examples added to the ticket with fresh logs, so I look forward to hearing back from you on that!

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-22984 // QCS-19292

• bobmablob
    bobmablob Member
    edited October 14

Hi Coach Natalie,

This behavior occurred again where a transaction that had cleared in my ledger and been linked to a recurrence, though it successfully linked, days later disappeared entirely.

See attached additional images. I'd submitted my logs last time as well but never heard back and would love an update. This is the fifth transaction I've caught entirely disappearing from my ledger since I began using Simplifi in Dec 2023, which leads me to fear more.

• Coach Natalie

@bobmablob, thank you for the additional example! I got it added to the ticket and will let you know when an update is received.

-Coach Natalie