Payees & rules limitations, not useful for my use case.

snovvman
snovvman Member
edited September 3 in Managing Your Transactions

The Payees & rules function allows one to 1) rename a payee if the downloaded transaction contains a defined string and 2) set a category if the payee matches a specific name.

Problem: I have the same transfers to each month that contains a unique confirmation number, which makes the transaction name slightly different each month. The transaction name does contain a unique identifier - the account name. Function number 2 described above only works if the transaction matches exactly. It cannot work off of transactions that "contain" a string.

It seems to me that the only way for Simplfi's rule system to work is for me to first rename the transaction using function 1 to something consistent and then use function 2 to recategorize. I want to keep the confirmation number in my transaction, which makes the rule system useless.

Why wouldn't function 2 allow for a transaction that "contains" rather than force a matched string. A competitor product makes this so easy by allowing for exactly what I described.

Comments