Will it have what I need?

in2ndo
in2ndo Member
edited October 3 in Introduce yourself!

Hi All,

Been using Classic since for ever. not a Simplifi user yet. looking into the features to see if I should make the jump. it'll be a huge jump. so I'm looking first.

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

It's different, such as not having a running balance. But that means no reconciling which i do not miss. I made the jump a few years ago and didn't regret it. If you use mobile devices and web, it's a no brainer to switch. Your old data will not come with you, though.

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@in2ndo As Rob says, it is different. I made a long reply to your other thread about running balance in Quicken Classic and why it probably won't come to Simplifi.

However, if you didn't like the complications of the budget in Classic, you might enjoy the Spending Plan in Simplifi as I have found it much more useful. It all depends on the individual user's needs.

Enjoy trying it out!

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like the "running balance" or as I think of it, a dynamic bank register, is at the top of your list of needs. If it is a deal breaker you will probably be less satisfied with QS

The biggest difference in my mind (and as noted above, QS is different from Q Classic) is the focus in QS on the Spending Plan. The Spending Plan is not a zero-sum budget tool but provides a more flexible planning tool, at least that's how I experience it.

Also, instead of providing a means to assign specific spending limits/amounts to a detailed list of "categories" or expenses, the Spending Plan sorts out spending between fixed and flexible spending with an "end game" of showing you know what is available or left over AFTER all you normal and expected expenses are accounted for and deducted from your expected income.

For this reason, another difference to keep in mind is that QS is more focused on planning based on monthly income and expenses over bookkeeping/accounting in depth. This is especially true with regards to account registers (e.g. running balance, account reconciliation) and the reports modual.

For me, the big question concerning any of these personal finance tools is, can I trust the numbers. I have found with QS that I can.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@in2ndo ,

Looks like you're in very good hands with your questions being answered by everyone here. For what it's worth, this post has a lot of additional details about the difference between Quicken Desktop and Quicken Simplifi. Maybe. you'll find something useful there too.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.