Downloaded transactions are out of order (in random date order)

ThirdCoastFan
ThirdCoastFan Member
edited September 21 in Report a Bug

I would like to download transactions for specific months from all accounts at once. When I try to do so, the downloaded transactions appear to be in random order by date. I have tried everything I can think of, including spending a half-hour on the Help Chat with someone, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

I'm almost certain this wasn't happening before a week or two ago.

I realize that I could re-sort by date after downloading, but when I do that the transactions are still not in the order they appear in Simplifi, and SPLIT transactions appear at the bottom of the list with no dates or other information (thus messing up any calculations I want to do).

Here are some things I've already tried:

• selecting different months or ranges
  • adding filters to download just some transactions
  • restarting my computer, logging out/back into Simplifi, trying a different browser
  • I also tried importing the CSV file to Google Sheets instead of Excel (same problem)

The Help Chat person I worked with suggested that I can only download transactions from one account at a time. That has never been true before, adds a ton of extra work, and doesn't solve the problem anyway.

ANY IDEA what else I can try?

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @ThirdCoastFan,

If I'm understanding correctly, the primary issue you're encountering is that once exported, you cannot sort the data without having to manually correct the split transactions first (otherwise, they end up sorted at the bottom of the spreadsheet, separated from the parent transaction)? If that is the case, it isn't really a bug, just a design choice that doesn't work well for the way you use the exported data. You're not the only one who would like to see this changed. Please review the Idea post linked below, and if you'd like to see it implemented, please add your vote! Ideas that get enough votes may be implemented in the future!

What sort order are you trying to get to display once exported? If you can provide more information on what you're trying to accomplish, we may be able to help you find the way to do it.

I look forward to your reply!

-Coach Kristina

• Thanks for the feedback, Kristina. The order I'm hoping to get is simply the order that is shown in Simplifi, which puts all of my transactions from all of my accounts in (reverse) order by date, showing the newest ones first.

It's true that it's not a big deal to sort the transactions in Excel after downloading (except for the hassle of handling split transactions), but it seems bizarre to me that they show up in completely random date order (for ex., 8/28, 8/5, 8/21, etc.) I can't see any other logic to the order, and I'm almost positive this wasn't happening earlier this year.

I'll admit that part of my desire to fix this is simply that it drives me nuts that the downloaded transactions just get shuffled for no apparent reason! :) From my searching online and in this community, it doesn't seem like something others are experiencing. But in the meantime I will follow your advice about re-ordering transactions and manually changing the split ones. (And I will definitely up-vote the request for a change to how split transactions are displayed!)

—Tony

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Thank you for your reply,

When I test exporting from my Quicken Simplifi to .CSV and opening in a spreadsheet, I found one way that didn't jumble the date order was exporting from the Transaction Activity screen without any filters applied and with no transactions selected. That caused it to export all transaction activity in date order.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Kristina

• That worked, Kristina! Yay! It's a little inconvenient to download all transactions (6,789 and growing) every time I need one month's worth, but the download is fast and everything appears to be in order, and I can just select what I need from the top of the list. I appreciate your help in problem-solving this issue.

—Tony

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I found that entering a date formula in the search box (>9/1/2024) for September transactions and ensuring I sort by date, descending, works for me to download a transaction list sorted by date. I just tested this now.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Great tip, Ursula! Just tried it and it works for me too. Thanks.