CSV Export - Apply the details to all fields for split transactions (account, date, payee, etc.)

Options
UrsulaA
UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited February 22 in Feature Requests

From a post from @dsfreddy

dsfreddy Member ✭✭November 2023 edited November 2023

Have not found an explanation by Simplifi of the purpose of its split functionality. I am not sure a one to one correspondence between the list of transactions in Simplifi (called the register by some?) and what I'd see at my banks website is a fundamental requirement. My request is that split transactions, when exported, inherit traits from their parent record. Here is what these look like now:

account

state

postedOn

payee

usage

category

tags

notes

amount

Credit Card 1

CLEARED

9/28/2023

Our Dentist

SPLIT

$0.00

Health:Dentist-Jack

Health:Dentist-Jill

Checking 1

CLEARED

7/31/2023

Atm Wthdrwl On 07/31 @ 11:09 Us Debitcard, Pos, Withdrawal, Processed

SPLIT

$0.00

Cash & ATM:ATM-Jack

Cash & ATM:ATM-Jill

These child records should inherit account, state ("status" in transaction detail), postedOn ("date"), and payee from their parent record. It makes no sense to create a CSV file without that information. Displaying these child records in the transaction list is another matter. Not sure I care either way about that.

I would like to see this idea implemented without separating split transactions into individual/separate transactions.

Request is for child split records to inherit details from parent transaction records: account, state ("status" in transaction detail), postedOn ("date"), and payee

Original post below.

[edited title]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

13 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• dsfreddy
    dsfreddy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Seconded!

• bobodc1
    bobodc1 Member
    edited February 25
    Options

Currently when you generate a CSV export, Split Transactions create a "non-contiguous" set of data. For example, the current method looks like this:

While it's helpful to see Splits, I'm more interested in seeing the details of the split transaction. It would be great if either the CSV export could be updated or users could be given an option to generate an export which shows the details of split transactions only such that the other details (e.g. account, state, postedon, payee, etc.) are present.

While the reporting in Simplifi is pretty good, there are several custom (read spreadsheet) reports I maintain to manage my finances. The current method of CSV export which does not give all details of split transactions forces me to manually tweak the transactions to fill the missing details. While this isn't a huge deal right now with only about 2 months of data, this will become a problem as I use Simplifi more and more.

[Merged Post]

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

Could not agree more. I was very surprised to see how this comes through in the CSV file.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25
    Options

This feature request is the same as the one I posted a few days ago. Please vote for it below.

Hopefully the moderators will merge this request with mine. The more votes, the more likely the request will be considered.

[Merged Post]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

thirded!

• bobodc1
    bobodc1 Member
    Options

@UrsulaA thanks, I appreciate you flagging. Looks like they've merged now. Hope they are able to fix this soon.

• Silverthorne
    Options

The failure to include transaction details on split transactions is a major flaw for anyone who wants to use Simplifi data in external spreadsheets. The original poster, dsfreddy, requested to include "status", postedOn, and payee on each row for split transactions in the csv export. I would add the request to include the parent's "Description" in the export for each row for split transactions.