Recording Venmo Transaction

VermillionSands
VermillionSands Member
edited October 14 in Troubleshooting

I have my wife's Venmo account & our checking account in Simplifi.

She has a monthly service she pays with Venmo.

I see two transactions in my transaction table:

venmo → Venmo Payee

Checking → Venmo (same amount as above).

I like to track what venmo is taking out of checking, but this causes duplicate charges in the planned-spending. Is fixing this as simple as unchecking the option for "Spending Plan", or is there a better way?

Thank you!

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@VermillionSands

I'm not sure how Venmo works exactly, but one idea that comes to mind is to categorize the transaction from your checking account a s transfer to the Venmo account. Typically, QS will enter the transfers as excluded from Spending Plan and Reports, but you will want to check to make sure the transfer from your checking to Venmo is excluded from both the Spending Plan and Reports.

The reason for excluding is to eliminate the problem of duplicating the charges.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Danny,

Thanks - I was thinking that but when I initially went that route, I get the following:

Before you continue...
    - We did not find a matching transaction in the account ###### Venmo. Click continue to create a manual transaction, or Cancel to abort

It does not let me choose a transaction so is looking for a match. I was trying to use a sub-category I created for Transfer. I tried using just transfer (Category), and that let me create a rule ("the transfer to Venmo rule") that has the exclusions you mention.

So this appears to work as-desired. Thank you for the clarification.

John