Add a search feature to Settings>Categories & Tags (edited)

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in Feature Requests
Simplifi,

Please consider adding a search feature to Settings > Categories & Tags.  Right now, the only way I know to find a category is to go to transaction and try adding it to a sale.  If it comes up, then I know it exists.  

I'm currently still in the process of setting up my categories...I have A LOT of categories. 
Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
5 votes

Completed · Last Updated

You can now search Categories and Tags in Simplifi under the Settings menu!

Comments

• SeattleGuy
    SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
    Options

I support this request for a search feature for categories. I sometimes set up a new sub-category, and then later can't remember what top-level category I put it under. Currently there's no way to find it other than manually click around to expand categories to hunt for it. This is very frustrating.

A related suggestion: there should be an option that the category displayed in the Transaction screen should display the fully-qualified name, in other words, if it is a subcategory then it should display the top level category and the subcategory, so the transaction window shows where the selected category fits into the category structure.

• SeattleGuy
    SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
    Options

Update to my comment above - I just realized that the category search feature has already been added. It is in the Settings tool, Categories and Tags section. It can search categories but not tags.

However, I just tried the search feature, and it can't find anything. I searched for categories and subcategories that I know are there, I can see them in the list, but the search feature didn't find them. I searched for "car" and it didn't find any category with "car" in it, but it did find several categories that have nothing to do with cars. So now my request is to fix the Category Search feature so it works. Thanks.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

At least on mobile app, category search works for me. I found car categories searching either "car" or "auto". Tag search works too.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Because this works on mobile and specifically does not work on the web, I would report this as a "bug" rather than a "feature request"/idea. I say that because bugs get higher priority and don't need to be voted on, and in this case, it seems to be what this is (because it works on mobile but not the web).

Rob Wilkens

• SeattleGuy
    SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @RobWilk for the tips. I just posted a bug: "Categories Search feature works poorly on Windows PC - search should be case insensitive". The problem turns out to be that it is doing case sensitive searches. So searching for "auto" fails to find "Auto". The standard on the internet (for example using Control-F in a browser window) is to do case insensitive searches. From my limited testing it appears that all Simplifi needs to do is make the Category Search case insensitive and then it will work fine.

This discussion has been closed.