Spending Plan - show totals for paid/spent vs upcoming/left with a progress bar (edited)

Options
2»

Comments

• Jerrod
    Jerrod Member
    Options

Is there any update on this potential feature?

• BR HHI
    Options

Would add the current spending view (right had side of screen with bars) of: Income, Bills, Subscriptions and Savings is lacking the key area of Planned Spending. It is on the left of screen showing the total amount budgeted for the month - and then once clicked on can see the detail for each category, but this is the critical budgeting data that should be aggregated and also included on the right as it's own bar with ability to click on the bar to expand below with each category - make sense?

• BadgerHat
    Options

I like having the spend plan category, but it would be nice if I could have a summary of the actual spend vs the planned spend. I use the envelop method, but I would like to see how much money is remaining across my planned spend categories.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This feature looks partially complete. In the web app, for planned spending, one can see.

It will be nice to have the same breakdown for the bills and subscriptions.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• shaneharley90
    Options

Hi! Thank you so much for recently adding the % spent indicator to the spending plan charts, that's a great help. Something I really miss from Mint is being able to see how far through the month I am over the top of the charts. This better helps me understand if my spending is on track at a glance.

I've added a screenshot of how Mint treated it

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13
    Options

What would be helpful for me is to see my remaining total budgeted balance of the Planned Spending. Overspending in one category of Planned Spending can create an Over Spent condition. But if all other categories are under budget, then in actuality, I have not currently Over Spent. Yes, I will over spend if I spend what was budgeted in every category.

Just wondering, in these situations, do folks go back and lower and/or raise budgets in other categories to correct Over Spent conditions? I typically don't as I just look at all the buckets and see where I can save in a given category. Hence the request to see the overall remaining budget somewhere.

For example

• The $500 is the total of all the budgeted amounts in the cards/categories
    • $123.45 is what has actually been spent
    • $376.55 is what is Available per the budgeted amount
    • While I have overspent in one category, Fitness (which creates the Overspent pie graph), in total, I still have budget remaining so this gives me a big picture view of what's left.
    • Then I can choose to make budget (expense) adjustments in a given card(s) or leave everything as is and monitor spending as I go.

I believe the $500 total budget would match the Spending Plan number at the start of the month. As you spend, the Spending Plan number changes, but your budgets don't, unless you edit them.

• misha142
    Options

One of my favorite features in Mint was being able to see how much of a monthly budget I'd spent compared to how far through the month we are. They had just a simple vertical bar on the budget tracker. So for example, if we're 1/3 through the month, but I've already spent half my budget in a category, I know I should be more careful about that category

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The bars are helpful in each individual category. I was hoping for an overall Planned Spending status to get a big picture view of remaining budget. An example is shown in the prior comment.

• eadkins20
    eadkins20 Member
    Options

Can we get different options to viewing the spending plan totals. I'm more of a loose budgeter and the bold "X amount left at the end of the month" is less helpful to me as I'd rather get a "Spent X amount out of X amount" as the overview category total

• garzajp93
    garzajp93 Member
    Options

So far I have enjoyed using the app. I think you guys are doing a great job.

I wanted to give a suggestion that I think would benefit many and make the user experience better.

Would it be possible to add a simplified/minimal list view to Spending Plan and/or Watchlist? This way a user can get a good overview of the different items in a small area that flows top to bottom.

I think Mint and Copilot do this well:

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd love to see a better recap of my past spending plan Planned Spending section that includes what was released and the original budget, not the updated budget that matches the spend after releasing funds. That doesnt really provide me any real info.

Here is an example of what could be viewed AFTER releasing money. The red text is suggested new information. The $200 is the original budget that I'll use each month.